Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:Will look like folly if just one of Cox or Cameron gets a long term injury and we slide down the ladder and don't make finals and conversely the team we traded Grundy to plays/wins the grand final, just like 2021 with Treloar fire sale.

Will look like inspired genius if the players we traded in, help us to overcome scumpire cheating in finals and get us a shot in the grand final and the possibility to win our 16th premiership as it did in 2010 when we brought in Jolly and Ball and triumphed in the replay to win our 15th premiership.
It doesn't matter how it looks. The coach has to pursue his approach and thinking to the full, not have some compromised version forced on him by the past bad decisions of others.

The problem is the predicament everyone was put in by a bad contract. Both Grundy and McRae/Wright have acted within their rights. It happens.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

I’m sorry but it’s completely ridiculous to think a bloke who refused to budge and it was 7 years or nothing is a victim in this!!!

He can go all the bullshit woe is me I wanted to be a Pie for life, but that’s an absolute load of crap.

Fact is if he wasn’t a selfish, greedy bastard he might have got his wish. But his demands show its all bullshit.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Grundy's manager, and possibly Brodie himself, were certainly greedy back in 2020 when they held out for such a massive contract. However, they were obviously encouraged to do so by the incompetence of our list manager and footy department at that time, who rolled over and agreed. This sorry outcome is the outcome of the unprofessionalism of our club 2 yrs ago. Luckily, it seems that Wright has certainly righted our ship and such stupidity should never happen again.
Exactly rude
It isn’t Grundy fault at all nor his management
Players only get paid what clubs are willing to pay them
This was a decision made via egos namely our former president (who I actually respect loads) but this time he got it massively wrong
Remember all the media saying Grundy would go back to SA and we couldn’t keep him ?
This is why he got the deal he did
Wright has done what needs to be done (forget about the players name could have been any player) in correcting our cap
If you can have cap space free when big fish become available then your a chance in times past we haven’t had the cash when needed
I hear what your saying but it takes 2 to tango; by effing the Club, he was effing his team, not sure how he could never make that connection.

Quite frankly I always got the impression he didn't care that much, gushing instagram posts notwithstanding.

It will be interesting to see how it plays at at the Dees.....but I don't give a rats arse about them, or indeed Grundy as of yesterday
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

90 nice wrote:I am really depressed on seeing Grundy at another club

Please provide me some comfort will we ok without him.

I need re assurance.
The one point loss in the prelim (away) not reassurance enough?

We can get another ruck, they exist
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times

Post by pietillidie »

eddiesmith wrote:
pietillidie wrote:^
By god people talk shite, as if they'd be different when they no way in hell would be.

It's very different at, say, Geelong, because the parameters wouldn't be as irrational to start with, and the psychology wouldn't become fixed accordingly. It's a classic original sin problem.

It’s very simple, you either have a team first let’s win a premiership mentality or you want it all for yourself.

I look at the NRL and my mighty Sharks. 5 very good players all off contract next year, instead of demanding market value they’ve got together and are sharing the money amongst the group because they want to win premierships together.

Team mentality v Selfish Grundy mentality.
That's a classic "if your aunty had knackers" error of the sort only someone with no experience with negotiations, organisations and human psychology would crap on about from the sidelines.

The bad blood comes from a real past and real negotiations that existed and affected people, not some ideal at some other time and place. Grundy was well within his right to hold his line based on his perception and feelings about those events and their outcome, and McRae/Wright were well within in their right to pursue their approach unencumbered by past decisions.

We may never know if that circle could've been squared, so we move on and accept the outcome of a predicament in which the past administration put the club.

Amusingly, if you were Grundy, not only would you also not yield, but you would then wage a bitter, self-righteous campaign against the club for the rest of eternity. Do you not have any grasp of your own personality?
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

What a load of bollocks, are you actually Ned Guy? Would explain so much…
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by Big T »

He played with fire, took a marquee contract, didn't perform accordingly, got burnt. Move along.
Buon Giorno
scoobydoo
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Big T wrote:He played with fire, took a marquee contract, didn't perform accordingly, got burnt. Move along.
Spot on.
Colin G Wood
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Colin G Wood »

So now the dust has settled on Grundy out and Mitchell in, what’s the net impact on our salary cap taking into account what we are paying for Grundy and what Hawthorn are pay for Mitchell?

We might have come out of all of this very well? Perhaps even a master stroke by Wright?
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

We arrived at this moment for two very simple reasons.

1. Coming off the highs of his 2018/19 seasons Grundy's influence has gradually declined year on and year and his output simply couldn't justify the remuneration he was to be paid over the next 5 years.

2. Coming off a narrow 4pt preliminary final defeat Grundy had the option of accepting what would have a respectful contract offer from the club reflecting his standing but chose instead to extract absolute maximum value when his bargaining position was at it's strongest.

That was his right of course but it flies in the face of what some other high profile players have reportedly done at Geelong. They were prepared to accept less than the market rate in order to help facilitate a stronger list and increase their chances of Premiership success.

While people can be angry that the club accepted the terms of the contract extension lets not try and pretend we forced those terms on Grundy.

It was him and his manager that forced us in to a corner, took a mercenary approach and Grundy was seemingly all to happy to extract every last cent instead of sacrificing a little for the greater good of his club, teammates and their chance of sharing in premiership success.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

When Grundy got that contract it was common for rival clubs to offer $1 mill, $1.2 mill or more to get you in the door. If you look at the highest earners in the game... Buddy, Cameron, McGovern, Dusty, Dangerfield, Cripps, Fyfe, Coniglio, Bont, Neale... Gawn, Petracca, Sloane, Daniher [!]. Not many ruckmen, all huge money.

Clubs offer silly money, North chased that guy from GWS, Kelly with 1 mill+ offers, recently offered Dusty 1.5.

We were damned if we did and damned if we didn't, let your keystone AA ruckman go to and there would have been a revolt then, too. Grundy took unders to stay here, just not unders enough. Finally it appeared to be a different direction that led to him being traded, rather than his salary it seems to be being reported.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/366351/pie- ... -term-deal

"Negotiations saw the offer jump from an initial three-year term to five years before the Magpies bumped it to seven years, which Grundy had always been chasing."

There's the major error, they should have played hardball on 3, I doubt he would have left.
Get back on top.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR

Post by uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR »

^The other thing is, if he was still in AA form there'd be less chance of The Club looking to move him on. AND if we still wanted to dump the contract you'd think there would be a queue forming with top 10 picks in hand!
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Grundy is past his prime thought he is slowing up these days.

He is so 2017,2018.

hope he goes well at the dees but i feel he will struggle with fitness.

This year already missed a season.

Still rehabbing his knees.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 20 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Cam wrote:When Grundy got that contract it was common for rival clubs to offer $1 mill, $1.2 mill or more to get you in the door. If you look at the highest earners in the game... Buddy, Cameron, McGovern, Dusty, Dangerfield, Cripps, Fyfe, Coniglio, Bont, Neale... Gawn, Petracca, Sloane, Daniher [!]. Not many ruckmen, all huge money.

Clubs offer silly money, North chased that guy from GWS, Kelly with 1 mill+ offers, recently offered Dusty 1.5.

We were damned if we did and damned if we didn't, let your keystone AA ruckman go to and there would have been a revolt then, too. Grundy took unders to stay here, just not unders enough. Finally it appeared to be a different direction that led to him being traded, rather than his salary it seems to be being reported.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/366351/pie- ... -term-deal

"Negotiations saw the offer jump from an initial three-year term to five years before the Magpies bumped it to seven years, which Grundy had always been chasing."

There's the major error, they should have played hardball on 3, I doubt he would have left.
Great post Cam.
I think too that alot of the reason for wanting to get Grundy off our list was due to a new conception of game style, and a new philosophy on the value of rucks to our game style.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by stui magpie »

Interesting what Wright says in his interview immediately after the trade.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... 5565102001

from 50 second mark, he's asked about the trade, said it was instigated by the club and it's taken 12 months to get to this point.

Now allowing for some hyperbole, that still sounds to me like his papers were stamped soon after Fly arrived and well before he went down injured.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.