Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ If Noble had played, our side would have been weakened. The Club knew that. That's why Ginnivan played and Noble didn't. You pick a team to win, not because of their endearing personal qualities.
Markov stepped up and took Noble's spot and there was a general feeling we needed to score more so Ginnivan had to be a part of the plan especially once McStay, Johnson and even McInnes went down on the eve of the finals. In the end Ginny was basically a no show and the goals we were counting on didn't materialize so I have no qualms moving him on.
Flagpies
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

It seems that Ginni received mixed messages: Craig Kelly said his trip to the races was OK according to report in Herald Sun.
If true, the flak he has copped after the event would be very confusing for him. In his post GF statement, Fly seemed to say that while he would not recommend a trip to the races one night before the GF, who is he to say that this might have been Ginni's best method for preparing for the match? In other words, he wanted to emphasize tolerance, and flexibility.
The problem Ginni has is that he doesn't care about appearances, and at the age of 20 he is also quite immature.
Some have claimed he did "nothing" in the GF... I don't think this is true. He and Elliott both had a role to play further out from goal so that Bobby could utilise his blistering pace to run into open space.
Everyone prepares for big events differently...to me, enjoying oneself, taking one's mind off the enormity of the next day, does not seem so unbelievably reprehensible. He had clearly put in huge amounts of work to get ready for the GF, otherwise he would not have been selected.
He is only 20 years old, and we don't really know what he could be yet. He won't stay immature forever. Also Jamie Elliott is not young by AFL standards, and if one of our small forwards is injured, we will need Ginni (assuming he is not able to prove his credentials as top 22).
If I was involved in this decision making process, I would be telling Ginni that he will play with us in 2024 before any decision is made.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

There has obviously been a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes which we will never know about. Clearly, it reached a point where our club saw its future better served without Ginnivan being a part of it.

Ginni has been adored by many Pies fans, and he has enormous talent, but if he is viewed as having a negative influence on our team culture, then his time with us is over.

Sadly, I say au revoir. Hopefully we will get a reasonable draft pick from the Hawks in exchange.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Deja Vu wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:I called it last week in the trade thread.

He was NEVER going to survive this trade period.

Fly is all funny and nice until he’s not.
Probably his greatest quality
Yeah, I reckon you're right. Someone who strikes me as similar in that regard is Ange Postecoglou over here coaching Spurs in the EPL.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

RudeBoy wrote:There has obviously been a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes which we will never know about. Clearly, it reached a point where our club saw its future better served without Ginnivan being a part of it.

Ginni has been adored by many Pies fans, and he has enormous talent, but if he is viewed as having a negative influence on our team culture, then his time with us is over.

Sadly, I say au revoir. Hopefully we will get a reasonable draft pick from the Hawks in exchange.
But we won't get any tangible compensation, and we are releasing an unknown quantity whose possiblities are unknown. JDG did alot of things which were at least as bad. I think we would be crazy to give him away for next to nothing.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Club still has not said one word publicly, that makes me think things are going on behind the scenes, between us and him, and he may well stay yet.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Magpietothemax wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:There has obviously been a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes which we will never know about. Clearly, it reached a point where our club saw its future better served without Ginnivan being a part of it.

But we won't get any tangible compensation, and we are releasing an unknown quantity whose possiblities are unknown. JDG did alot of things which were at least as bad. I think we would be crazy to give him away for next to nothing.
These days freeing up money to target a real need or pay off what we owe players we've moved on is almost as important as picks.
Flagpies
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Yeah, there's no need to see it as personal. Ginni will be needed by a club playing a different brand football. The slightest misspeak will be reported, but the motivation doesn't need to be tension or disapproval.

I also reckon the club gets that we need to keep changing players on the fringes of the 22 purely as a numbers game. You never know when you pick up a Checkers or a Coxy, and there's a lot of chance involved, so you have to turn over those lower-end and unconventional picks to unearth gems. The more often and faster, the better.

Ginni's weakness is not behaviour, but pace, especially given the game we play. Look at the standards of Jamie, Bobby and Beau's tackling; pace is as big a part of tackling and pressure in the forward line than maybe anywhere else on the park. I like the lad, but you have to do what you have to do in a very even competition.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
partypie

Post by partypie »

Although his grand final appearance was not spectacular, his efforts as sub versus Melb and GWS were amazing. If he has to be traded then I hope the price is high.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 115 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

If anyone wants to know how we got here to listen to Fly in his GF presser
He mentioned that Ginnivan was young but needed to follow the commitment levels of Hill to get the best out of himself
During the year he was dropped and Fly said at the time training standards were part of the reason
His off field antics whilst not criminal bring the wrong attention to him and the club
Fly has said publicly players drive standards and hold each other accountable
I’ll leave you with these 2 words why Ginnivan is likely gone
Jaidyn Stephenson
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Ted Lasso fans - I'm told a Jamie Tartt analogy is apt, especially when it comes to parenting.

Maybe after Ginni gets kicked off a reality TV show we might get back the best of him?
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times

Post by warburton lad »

If Ginnivan stays- this may be the kick-in-the-pants he needs

If Ginnivan goes- this may be the kick-in-the-pants he needs.

For mine, he stays and the Club really work extremely hard with him to work on the attributes he needs to become an elite AFL player: pace, strength and endurance.

I have 100% faith in the Coach and the List Manager to make the best call for the Club, even if it means trading out a player who is extremely popular with the fan-base.

I think McRae recognises that popularity doesn't guarantee continued success.

Individuality is fine as long as it does not cross the lines of team culture and Club values...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

If the latest 'chat' going around in respect to why Ginnivan has been punted following him leaking the McStay and his partners 'video', then we want Ginnivan nowhere near the Club. It's more than the video released, it's the spitefulness behind it
Players 'hate' him as a result.
Ginnivan did this on his own accord, bloke is toxic.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

LaurieHolden wrote:If the latest 'chat' going around in respect to why Ginnivan has been punted following him leaking the McStay and his partners 'video', then we want Ginnivan nowhere near the Club. It's more than the video released, it's the spitefulness behind it
Wow. This is worse than anything Jayden Stephenson got up to, and I know stuff that was never made public. If true, he’ll want to have “hamstring tightness” whenever his new team is due to play us, and sit out the game because he’ll get cleaned up.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by shawthing »

LaurieHolden wrote:If the latest 'chat' going around in respect to why Ginnivan has been punted following him leaking the McStay and his partners 'video', then we want Ginnivan nowhere near the Club. It's more than the video released, it's the spitefulness behind it
If that is true he is lucky not to have had his face rearranged. The Whorks are welcome to him!