#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by stui magpie »

Cox is playing his role and doing it well/

Yeah, he could clunk more marks, but he creates a get out contest and brings the ball to ground. Plus, he doesn't drop his head when he can't mark them early, he keeps working. Some players if they have a shit first quarter are done for the day, Cox isn't.

In the last quarter, when players are getting tired and can't jump as high, big men don't get shorter.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

stui magpie wrote:Cox is playing his role and doing it well/

Yeah, he could clunk more marks, but he creates a get out contest and brings the ball to ground. Plus, he doesn't drop his head when he can't mark them early, he keeps working. Some players if they have a shit first quarter are done for the day, Cox isn't.

In the last quarter, when players are getting tired and can't jump as high, big men don't get shorter.
Spot on. And funnily enough, some of Masons best and most influential marks have been taken in the last quarter.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

Interesting statistic on afl.com.au - in his 18 games across 2017/16, Mason has only received 4 free in the forward 50... I don't think it's not good enough Mason, but more not good enough umpire...
Mossi
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Mossi »

Love watching the big American out there. There is no marking contest in the forward line that I don't look out for him! For a bloke that tall how he moves that frame around and the "agility" he displays is special. Then you can't help but like the way he enjoys the physicality of the game and the pushing and shoving that goes on! When he extends those arms at the contests midfielders have to go wide and take an extra step if they want to get around him and some have to sweat they don't get caught. What surprises me more of late, is his positioning to link up and the quality and timing of his handballing and kicking. Like many of you have pointed out his kicking for goal is just non existent at the moment and that is a big negative but hoping he takes a few more shots on goal.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

After the messaging by the coach this week the umpires will be watching like hawks. Expecting 3+ from Mason and a big win this week. Especially with no Sandilands.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Lutts

Post by Lutts »

Has anyone got any stats on how many contested marks have been taken against him??????
Without knowing the correct figure I would say not many.
No easy intercept pack mark and clearing of our forward line by the opposition.
Manassa is on the 50m, fakes the handball. He's going to shoot for goal, and he's put it through! HE'S PUT IT THROUGH. By golly what an individual effort. Thats got to be the GOAL OF THE CENTURY.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

He really is a special talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X5XKEJjIZc
Don't count the days, make the days count.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

One goal today. Still not enough. At the start of year most Pies fans would have had him pegged for 30 goals over 20+ matches.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
RudeBoy
Been liked: 135 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I thought today was Cox's best 4 quarter game for us so far.
BazBoy
Been liked: 42 times

Post by BazBoy »

Big fella dished off well to create scoring opportunities
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

inxs88 wrote:One goal today. Still not enough. At the start of year most Pies fans would have had him pegged for 30 goals over 20+ matches.
Against overwhelming opinion favouring Cox, you are still rambling about lack of goals.
The most important thing he does is make a contest and bring the ball to ground. I might add he brings it to ground skillfully on many occassions.
He is a very effective second ruck too.
Your belief that he is there to simply kick goals highlights your one dimensional view of the game and lack of insight into how players contribute to the team dynamics
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
The Average Tourist

Post by The Average Tourist »

Ok Iam a Big Mason Fan

I like his ability to draw two or three defenders creating the opportunity for WHE, Thomas, Phillips and others, he spent a lot more time in the ruck yesterday I think with 14 hit outs 5 to advantage.

But 11 games in I had expected he might have torn a new one in either Aints, Dogs or Dockers. The only time he has looked dominant is in the last quarter against the filth, essendopers and the first 45 minutes against the tiggers.

Whilst we always need to lower the eyes I think we can go to him a bit more down the line or one out as any infringement can be clearly seen one out.

and it would stop the switch from half back more!
Bucks you just reckon he can still cut it in the middle
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Look at the long camera shots of the collingwood forward line.
You will see 2 or 3 opposition players gravitating towards Mason. This means other players like WHE will only ever get one player at the most next to him.
The goal that came from a mark by WHE over the pack that included Mason indicated that WHE had a clear run at the ball.
Meanwhile Mason was squashed by the opposition. This is what Mason brings.
A clear run at the ball by the other forwards. it is working big time at the moment.
BazBoy
Been liked: 42 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right