Time to get #42 back on the field

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Tannin

Post by Tannin »

^ Barf.

He wasn't a god. He was a footballer. Learn to tell the difference.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
mattys123

Post by mattys123 »

I think that's the part of the problem though, that in years to come, not many of our young supporters will know who Darren Millane was, and what he meant to this football club, both in his playing days and after his death.

I think what Shaw and it seems a few other premiership players are saying is this would be a great way to honour Pants, and to keep his memory alive.

I'll stick with the comment that this years Darren Millane trophy winner should be given the first chance to wear it next year.

You could have a whole week dedicated to the memory of Darren Millane also, where the number returns for the first time in 20 years.

I'm for it returning, under the right circumstances (I hate the first draft pick idea), and also with the Millane family's blessing.

Enough time has passed, time for the 42 to be seen on the park again.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

I'm not necessarily against the idea of the No.42 being worn again if it has the support of the Millane family but I don't feel giving it to our No.1 draft pick is the correct manner in which it should be awarded.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

David wrote:I tend to fall into the "it's just a number camp". Reinstate it without specifications as to who wears it - such a decision won't in any way reduce the reputation of Millane or cause us to forget him, just as our memories of Buckley and Daicos haven't been lessened by the exploits of Maxwell and Prestigiacomo. It was a respectful gesture from the club to retire Millane's number, but I don't think that reinstating it now would in any way be an act of disrespect.
I agree. No strings attached. I have gone full circle, either keep it retired or keep it humble. People will talk more about the 42 being Millane if its running around. Like Presti and Daics etc. Pants was Pants.
Get back on top.
magpiemike
Been liked: 4 times

Post by magpiemike »

Its good to get a feeling of how we stand on this issue, it's another to continually bombard the thread bagging peoples opinions and trying to force their own misguided view onto the rest of us. We get your stance, respect ours. To the football religion I have followed for decades, he will always be a footy God to me. My stance FWIW, a number retired is just that.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Tell me about its good qualities.
Dragme
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Dragme »

Why is the decision in the hands of his family? Do they somehow have a lasting legacy at the club that I don't understand?

Pants played for only 7 years 1984-1991.

A sad tragic situation but lets not forget he was pissed and drove into the back of a parked truck. Heath Shaw did the same but he had Dids in the car and both lived. Would we have done the same for them?

Is the number 42 the only one we have put in mothballs? If it is, then it is time to move on, as other numbers would surly fit criteria for such a great honour.
It means nothing to the current group (and young supporters) besides pointing out that you should not drink and drive.

If he died on the field I would take a different view. People die. Some young, some old. Move on.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

stui magpie wrote:I think we've retired the number, leave it at that.

It's simple. If any young one asks why we don't have a No. 42, we can explain about respect.

To bugger around giving it to a new kid each year is BS and meaningless. To give it to a particular person to keep just creates constant comparisons with a legend that no one would be able to live up to.

Leave it alone.
exactly, the numbers been retired [snip], maybe bring it back when all those who witnessed the 1990 GF are all dead and buried, until then leave it alone.
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

stui magpie wrote:I think we've retired the number, leave it at that.

It's simple. If any young one asks why we don't have a No. 42, we can explain about respect.

To bugger around giving it to a new kid each year is BS and meaningless. To give it to a particular person to keep just creates constant comparisons with a legend that no one would be able to live up to.

Leave it alone.
Oh, Amen brother Stui.
Tannin wrote:^ Barf.

He wasn't a god. He was a footballer. Learn to tell the difference.
If or when this team delivers the next silverware to the trophy cabinet, is this issue open for discussion. Until then, 42 stays a sacred relic, not unlike the Shroud of Turin. You want to wear it? You deliver the Grail.

Dyso
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Hmmmm .... not sure I'd be too happy about making that comparison, given that the Shroud of Turin is a known, demonstrated fake manufactured sometime in the Middle Ages. But you are not really supposed to say so in polite company because it might offend a few rather pitiful self-deluders.

Well, put me down in the pitiful and deluded category also, 'cause if it's another flag you want, I genuinely believe that our boys will delver a couple of them within the next five years ... and this present year isn't out of the question, not by a long chalk.
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

Tannin wrote:Hmmmm .... not sure I'd be too happy about making that comparison, given that the Shroud of Turin is a known, demonstrated fake manufactured sometime in the Middle Ages. But you are not really supposed to say so in polite company because it might offend a few rather pitiful self-deluders.
So we are told. Regardless, its symbolism is all about "perception" and "belief" of what it supposodly represents to many people, even if they are deluded. Most relics are sacred, dare i say, merely by perception?

I don't need a carbon-dating test to tell me who wore 42 from 1984-1991.
Nor do i want 42 passed on to some snotty-nosed "kid with potential".

Dyso
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

A snotty "kid with potential" would be a terrible choice, Piedys, I agree completely on that point. But, when you get down to it, who does deserve the 42?

Someone a little earlier suggested that a player like Beams would be a worthy choice. Yep: I can go along with that ...... but turn the thought the other way around: would you want to take a number that:
  • Comes with huge expectations and massive pressure (similar to #5)
  • Is a high number - regardless of who has worn them before, a lot of players would probably rather have that mark of confidence that a sub-20 number indicates.
  • Most important of all, a number that carries with it memories of the death of a disturbed young man who blew his mind out in a car after drinking himself stupid.
That's some pretty scary karma attaching to that jumper. Yep, sooner or later someone will say "yes" and take a swing at adding some fresh glory to the 42 but, if it were me, I think - no, I know I'd far rather have 17 or 22 or anything under 30 or, if pushed, pretty much anything under 100.

But someone will take the number up, sooner or later, and then it will become, psychologically speaking, just another glorious Collingwood number, like 17 or 5 or 35 or 22. And that's the way it should be.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Tannin wrote:A snotty "kid with potential" would be a terrible choice, Piedys, I agree completely on that point. But, when you get down to it, who does deserve the 42?

Someone a little earlier suggested that a player like Beams would be a worthy choice. Yep: I can go along with that ...... but turn the thought the other way around: would you want to take a number that:
  • Comes with huge expectations and massive pressure (similar to #5)
  • Is a high number - regardless of who has worn them before, a lot of players would probably rather have that mark of confidence that a sub-20 number indicates.
  • Most important of all, a number that carries with it memories of the death of a disturbed young man who blew his mind out in a car after drinking himself stupid.
That's some pretty scary karma attaching to that jumper. Yep, sooner or later someone will say "yes" and take a swing at adding some fresh glory to the 42 but, if it were me, I think - no, I know I'd far rather have 17 or 22 or anything under 30 or, if pushed, pretty much anything under 100.

But someone will take the number up, sooner or later, and then it will become, psychologically speaking, just another glorious Collingwood number, like 17 or 5 or 35 or 22. And that's the way it should be.
exactly, theres to much attached to it, we all loved darren, let it be i say.
jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

Give it to Dayne Beams now!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Dragme wrote:Why is the decision in the hands of his family? Do they somehow have a lasting legacy at the club that I don't understand?

Pants played for only 7 years 1984-1991.

A sad tragic situation but lets not forget he was pissed and drove into the back of a parked truck. Heath Shaw did the same but he had Dids in the car and both lived. Would we have done the same for them?

Is the number 42 the only one we have put in mothballs? If it is, then it is time to move on, as other numbers would surly fit criteria for such a great honour.
It means nothing to the current group (and young supporters) besides pointing out that you should not drink and drive.

If he died on the field I would take a different view. People die. Some young, some old. Move on.
two questions, purely hypothetical:

1. if millane was not a premiership player would the number have been retired?
2. if a current player was killed in a drink/drive incident how would today's society react [especially given the "drink drive, bloody idiot campaign"]?
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.