The not drafting or trading for James Stewart

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

In 2012 we had 3 round 1 picks
If we offered up our 2nd round pick 38
we could have snared him.
This is the way I read it but I could be wrong.
So Hine did not rate him below pick 38.
we don't eat our own at collingwood we just allow them to foul our nest.
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

Dave The Man wrote:
derkd wrote:Everyone needs to take a big deep breath... He has played one good game. Far too early to makes big calls on anyone Stewart or our players. Won't be able to call the winners or loser from this draft for five years. Till then it is all just opinion.
Well we got 3 1st Rounders instead of 1 if we had Nominated Stewart
Can you please explain this?
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

thompsoc wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
derkd wrote:Everyone needs to take a big deep breath... He has played one good game. Far too early to makes big calls on anyone Stewart or our players. Won't be able to call the winners or loser from this draft for five years. Till then it is all just opinion.
Well we got 3 1st Rounders instead of 1 if we had Nominated Stewart
Can you please explain this?
I'm getting deja va You sound like Hal!!!
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

A lot of people say that about him.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

thompsoc wrote:In 2012 we had 3 round 1 picks
If we offered up our 2nd round pick 38
we could have snared him.
This is the way I read it but I could be wrong.
So Hine did not rate him below pick 38.
Not quite true. I think we traded for pick 39 which became 38. I think we needed to commit pick 42.

Even accepting it as pick 38, I think passing on Stewart, in hindsight, was a fail. Ramsay looks quite good, but another promising tall on our list would have been far more valuable. We already have Broomhead, Kennedy, Sharenberg, Freeman, Langdon as smaller types in the last two years.

However, the reasoning that our pick situation was uncertain because we'd be active at the draft table, I think is a fair one. Maybe we would need to deal those later picks to get the first rounders we wanted. It might have meant missing out on one of Grundy, Broomhead or Kennedy. The selection then becomes more difficult, and I can understand us passing.
Well done boys!
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Ive said previously that I think part of the reason Stewart was overlooked was Gault. Both similar types, Stewart maybe just a bit quicker, Gault a more promising ruck option, and Gault was already on the list. Sadly, his 2013 was crueled by OP and some other injury issues. Now he's fit, we may see if there was wisdom in that.
derkd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by derkd »

Gets back to my thoery, if in five years time Stewart is still running around at GWS (or another AFL club) and we have discarded one of our three first rounders then you would say 'yes' we missed our chance. however, if all of the above are still playing, then it is a win all round. either way we won't be able to say for a few years.
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

Grundy is a given, didn't see jimmy Stewart play, but they were only playing the dogs! After watching broomhead the last few, gotta say thank The Lord we got him. Not only can he kick, he can kick straight, and he can kick goals. And with only half the team around him. He's not greedy, or grandstanding. Got a good head on him too decision wise. Said the very first time if saw him play, lock him up and throw away the key.

Kennedy going nicely too. Guess you can't have your cake and eat it.

Unless your sydneeee
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
loki04

Post by loki04 »

AN_Inkling wrote:I think. Or hope, on what we've seen, that we'd have selected Stewart ahead of Ramsay. That's what would have been needed after all was done. GWS bid with 27, we take Stewart with our next pick at 38.

However, as Hine said, we had a lot of uncertainty about our picks in that draft as we were active at the trade table. Would we have pick 38? We just didn't know. If we'd committed to Stewart would one of our deals have fallen through? Would we have been forced to take Stewart ahead of Broomhead, Grundy or Kennedy? I think there was just too much risk involved.
You can nominate him and then not match a bid if you didnt think he was rated at the pick.

Clearly Hine did NOT rate him, silly not to at least nominate whos to say with us nominating if gws would of bid with 27?

was a stuff up on clubs behalf.
Up the Mighty Mags 2016.
loki04

Post by loki04 »

Stewart much higher ceiling then Gault, is more agile, better skilled and quicker.
Up the Mighty Mags 2016.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

loki04 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:I think. Or hope, on what we've seen, that we'd have selected Stewart ahead of Ramsay. That's what would have been needed after all was done. GWS bid with 27, we take Stewart with our next pick at 38.

However, as Hine said, we had a lot of uncertainty about our picks in that draft as we were active at the trade table. Would we have pick 38? We just didn't know. If we'd committed to Stewart would one of our deals have fallen through? Would we have been forced to take Stewart ahead of Broomhead, Grundy or Kennedy? I think there was just too much risk involved.
You can nominate him and then not match a bid if you didnt think he was rated at the pick.

Clearly Hine did NOT rate him, silly not to at least nominate whos to say with us nominating if gws would of bid with 27?

Too early to say its a stuff up however time may prove that to be true.

Club would have gone to the draft with identified needs, clearly Stewart wasn't seen to match a need.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

John Wren wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
jackcass wrote: Ive said previously that I think part of the reason Stewart was overlooked was Gault. Both similar types, Stewart maybe just a bit quicker, Gault a more promising ruck option, and Gault was already on the list. Sadly, his 2013 was crueled by OP and some other injury issues. Now he's fit, we may see if there was wisdom in that.
Possibly. And I didn't see Stewart's game today, but Gault's debut was quite promising.
it was ok. did a couple of good things.
Agree JW, did a couple of nice things and nice for him to get some reward for some good VFL form, but can't imagine he'd have gotten that chance if we had a full list to choose from. Hopefully he can go to the next level in 2015 and demand senior game time on weight of performances.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

I haven't seen enough of Stewart to say, none live, time will tell.
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Presti35 »

Come back to this thread in say three years. We passed on Jake Kelly too. Sometimes you have to pass on the FS.

We're about to get Moore, but at what cost?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

loki04 wrote:

So what you are saying is that we could have nominated him
as a 2nd round pick and if gws nominated a prior second round pick
we then would have to match it with our 2nd round pick at this exact point.
in this case pick 27.