What did you learn today?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Post by 3.14159 »

Today I discovered why a McDonalds hamburger bun is not classed as a bread.
I was cleaning around the back seat of my ute (I do it every year... or 3) and discovered my nephew had left a 1/2 eaten McAcca's burger on the floor.
It had been there a month (or a year,...who knows?)
The meat, pickles etc had fallen off and apart from being covered in mould I discovered the bun was soft and spongy like a stale biscuit.
It reminded me of the case of the jaffa cake

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/vfoodman ... od6260.htm

What does that prove?

http://liveforfood.co.uk/2012/08/whats- ... -biscuits/
The difference between a biscuit and a cake (and pastry and bread) is that a biscuit goes soft when it goes stale but cake (pastry or bread) will go hard!

As I discovered, a stale McaCCAa's "bun" goes soft(er) as it's consumed by mold and/or disintegrates...
(I think it maybe the amount of sugar on these "sesame seed buns" breeds micro organisms that consume the integrity of the bun preventing it going hard).
Ergo,
It can not be advertised as a "bread roll" because according to Government food regulations (and definitions) it is not a bread, a cake or a pastry.
A bun is a catch all term that can describe any bread like item.

So literally and legally a McDonalds bun is a sugar laden biscuit!
Last edited by 3.14159 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

^ Brilliant work there, 3!
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

All of which is actually wrong as tests have shown it's actually the lack of moisture that keeps them from going mouldy, they actually mummify.

Anyway, had a day off work today. Planned day, a nothing day. Nothing to do, just want to chill out, not have people speak to me, not do any actual work round the house, do nuffink and veg.

So I spent a bit of time on Youtube following links.

I learned how to make a bump key and open pretty much everyone's front door, how to open padlocks without a combo or key, several different ways to break into a car without doing damage, how to transfer a photo onto a piece of wood, how to escape if my wrists are cable tied together and how to kill someone with a paperclip.

Productive afternoon well spent.

Oh, I also got a haircut this morning. I learned I can't understand English spoken with a cantonese accent.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:All of which is actually wrong as tests have shown it's actually the lack of moisture that keeps them from going mouldy, they actually mummify.

Anyway, had a day off work today. Planned day, a nothing day. Nothing to do, just want to chill out, not have people speak to me, not do any actual work round the house, do nuffink and veg.

So I spent a bit of time on Youtube following links.

I learned how to make a bump key and open pretty much everyone's front door, how to open padlocks without a combo or key, several different ways to break into a car without doing damage, how to transfer a photo onto a piece of wood, how to escape if my wrists are cable tied together and how to kill someone with a paperclip.

Productive afternoon well spent.

Oh, I also got a haircut this morning. I learned I can't understand English spoken with a cantonese accent.
I love days like that. And don't get out the pjs!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Lou Reed's sister talking about growing up with her older brother Lou: fascinating & sad

Lou Reed: The truth about the singer's upbringing beyond the biographers' and memoirists' myths

Today, my brother, Lou Reed, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo performer, an honour celebrating his incredible impact upon the world of music. Since his passing from liver disease in 2013, there have been many accolades, articles, and ruminations on his life. As biographers have begun in earnest to explore every aspect of that life, there has been speculation about the childhood issues that contributed to his artistic genius......

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 88070.html
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

Flies are the only insect with 2 wings, all the rest have 4👀
Don't count the days, make the days count.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

That is very interesting. I wonder why? Do they have unusually strong wings?

What about beetles?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Pretty sure they were a 4-piece, too.

Post by 5150 »

Pies4shaw wrote:Pretty sure they were a 4-piece, too.
Its not often I laugh out loud - yeah I know there is an acronym for it, just forgot how to spell it.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

Pies4shaw wrote:Pretty sure they were a 4-piece, too.
Yeah, but only one of them had wings. ;)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
sixpoints

Post by sixpoints »

Spot on Skids.
All flies belong to the biological classification of Order Diptera. The literal meaning of which is "two wings". This is the clearly distinguising physical characteristic of flies that sets them apart from all other insects.
Their remaining pair of wings are still present but have evolved into little stubs called halteres. These move around as the fly flies and help it know it's position (like a gyroscope).
I knew those years at uni studying Biology would eventually come in handy!
Last edited by sixpoints on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 3.14159 »

Skids wrote:Flies are the only insect with 2 wings, all the rest have 4👀
Sorry, but that's not quite so...

Another order of insects bearing only two true, functional wings (plus any form of halteres) are the Strepsiptera or twisted wing parasite.
There are 9 families and over 600 different species of these horrible beasts.

The males don't eat & live typically only for few hours.
The females (after mating) find and burrow into a living host and lodge themselves in the abdomen.
When the young hatch, they young eat the parent from the inside and emerge from the head the cycle begins again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strepsiptera
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 3.14159 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sixpoints

Post by sixpoints »

3.14159 wrote:
Skids wrote:Flies are the only insect with 2 wings, all the rest have 4👀
Interesting but not quite true...

The only other order of insects bearing two true, functional wings (plus any form of halteres) are the Strepsiptera or twisted wing parasite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strepsiptera
Good get. I bow to your entomological brilliance!

Plus to add to the conversation - mosquitoes belong to Order Diptera too. Mozzies only have one pair of wings.

Post by 3.14159 »

I watch two much David Attenborough! :oops: