Time to get #42 back on the field

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

WITTY 35 DAICOS MAGIC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by WITTY 35 DAICOS MAGIC »

Darren millane didnt earn respect just for hes efforts in 1990,
The guy himself,and hes presence speaks for it self.
He put fear into many opposition,he brought out the best in some team mates,comedy,laughter,pranks,and fearless football.
Darren lived life to the fullest,and is respected by opposition clubs still today.
I cant believe how people are speaking of this,yes maybe its the truth,and yes alcohol was a major issue with many players in the day,but the afl and clubs never had rules,as serious as it is today.
Darren loved a drink,and most people do,he paid the price,and so did the family,still today they hurt.
But for god sake,respect the man,and dont speak ill of him.
He was more of a man,that drove drunk,and killed himself.
And for the people who say he isnt a god,well have you met god personally,anyone can have a god in there eyes.
Hey aint god to me,but hes a inspirational player of example.
Even the example of how a champion can be cut down in hes prime from alcohol,time stands still for no man.
He will always be number 42,and if the club release the number,it will be the most stupid thing they will do,imagine ok if a player gets the number,wears it and then decides to switch clubs,stupid choice.
Leave it retired.
A part of collingwood went with darren that cold morning,leave it gone and put to rest with darren.

And if eddie mcguire suggests that many kids and people dont know who darren is,well EDDIE,
Place a friggen shrine or statue in westpac centre,
Time to re live hes memory if you feel that way.

Just like victoria park,should of saved that,and then when wanted too,time was to late,they stripped our home and gave us a semi naked ground,that holds nothing but memorys,we are forever explaing what was there,and this was that.

Re live darrens memory the right way,not by releasing the number to a player that wont ever fall into the catorgory of a MILLANE.

LEAVE IT RETIRED.
THEY JUST HATE US
COS THEY AINT US

DAICOS MAGIC 35
VINTAGE DARREN MILLANE 42
fence-banger

Post by fence-banger »

Thanks for putting that post up, Witty. It's beautiful. Luv you.
Side by side we Stick together
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Leave it alone. T.Shaw is a sad human headline these days , which is a tragic thing to say of a great clubman and captain.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

Dragme wrote:^^ If he was not a premiership player he would just be another "he had potential" player.

Drink drivers are criminals. If they kill someone then they are simply jailed.

Point proven JMCP. His family may be hurting 20 years on but time to draw that line in the sand.

42 means nothing more than a pissed player who drove into the back of a truck. His sudden death does not make him any more special than the other 21 players who got a premiership medallion on the day.
I wasn't going to wade into this thread but that's an awful post, Dragme.

My family has suffered at the hands of drunk drivers also, so I don't cut Darren Millane any slack at all for his final act of stupidity. Thankfully and luckily he was the only one who paid such a terrible price for that stupidity.

But that wasn't all there was to Darren Millane. Sure, he wasn't a saint, or a martyr. But he was a courageous and much loved footballer to his fans, his club, and an even more loved human being to his friends and family.

What you have done is reduced him to just another statistic.

His number isn't just a number, it's a symbol of many things that can't be replaced. Your incredibly insensitive post has only convinced me that it should stay retired.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
nomadjack
Been liked: 1 time

Post by nomadjack »

Dragme wrote:42 means nothing more than a pissed player who drove into the back of a truck.
Nice attitude you piece of shit. Love to see you put it on a tee-shirt and walk through the Ponsford.
BBHS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by BBHS »

Leave it retired. Unless I have the meaning of the word confused. Whatever Darren Millane did he's one of the most loved players in the clubs history and most people agree on this. Others can piss and moan in the corner but at the end of the day why are you protesting?
MOTR

Post by MOTR »

Tannin wrote:OMG, batten down the hatches, there will be roughly 17,834,329 idiotic outpourings of phoney outrage and sham patriotism all over the place, and all about as believable as a plastic pussy cat. Sometimes I wish I was a Footscray supporter. Unless I miss my guess, this is going to be one of them.

It's a number. Get over it.
For many of us who grew up watching Millane this issue always hits a nerve. If you want to call it phoney, go ahead, just means you don't get what he brought to the game and the club. Millane is not just another footballer he represented all that we wanted Collingwood to be and by extension what we wanted to be.

I'm not sure what should happen to the number, but I know it still gives me reason to pause when I see it.

Tannin, if you keep on showboating on this issue you won't be the only one wishing you were a footscray supporter.
Be Staunch, Be Proud, Be Collingwood
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Thankyou for proving my point, MOTR (and 17,834,328 others). But what does "showboating" mean, and why should I care?

PS: when I see the number 42, I immediately think of Monty Python. Always have, always will. So do millioons upon millions of others around the world.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

The last line says it all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
fence-banger

Post by fence-banger »

Tannin wrote:Thankyou for proving my point, MOTR (and 17,834,328 others). But what does "showboating" mean, and why should I care?

PS: when I see the number 42, I immediately think of Monty Python. Always have, always will. So do millioons upon millions of others around the world.
You wouldn't even qualify as a Footscray supporter.

Microbe.
Last edited by fence-banger on Mon May 24, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Side by side we Stick together
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

Tannin wrote:Thankyou for proving my point, MOTR (and 17,834,328 others). But what does "showboating" mean, and why should I care?

I think you're actually thinking of Douglas Adams' Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, not Monty Python. But it's probably not wise to be glib in this debate. Obviously you don't feel so strongly about it, but many others do, and I'm sure you can respect that.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

What do you think showboating mean and why should he or she care does?
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Doing yourself a lot of long term damge here Tannin.
Pity.

Post by 5150 »

Delete.. not worth it :evil:
Clemo

Post by Clemo »

Tannin wrote: PS: when I see the number 42, I immediately think of Monty Python. Always have, always will. So do millioons upon millions of others around the world.
Have some respect, Tannin.
Go Pies !!!!