Time to get #42 back on the field

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by stui magpie »

jmcp wrote:
Dragme wrote:Why is the decision in the hands of his family? Do they somehow have a lasting legacy at the club that I don't understand?

Pants played for only 7 years 1984-1991.

A sad tragic situation but lets not forget he was pissed and drove into the back of a parked truck. Heath Shaw did the same but he had Dids in the car and both lived. Would we have done the same for them?

Is the number 42 the only one we have put in mothballs? If it is, then it is time to move on, as other numbers would surly fit criteria for such a great honour.
It means nothing to the current group (and young supporters) besides pointing out that you should not drink and drive.

If he died on the field I would take a different view. People die. Some young, some old. Move on.
two questions, purely hypothetical:

1. if millane was not a premiership player would the number have been retired?
2. if a current player was killed in a drink/drive incident how would today's society react [especially given the "drink drive, bloody idiot campaign"]?
In answer to 1, 1990 was an historic day. The day the most talked about drought in football broke. Milane was synonymous with that victory. The legend of him playing the final series with a broken thumb and then being him holding the ball when that final siren went. there's all that baggage and mythology mixed together, he's like our version of James Dean, taken too young.

If it had of been almost anyone else, the number wouldn't have been retired, and if we hadn't won the premiershp in 1990, ditto.

2. The reaction would be incredibly different. Think of some of the stuff that Darren and Banksy got up to, any player who did half of that nowdays would be just about out on their ear. Things like hijacking a bus with a young journo (who may or may not have gone on to become president of the club) down the back playing ticket collector back then were hijinks. Not now.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dragme
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Dragme »

^^ If he was not a premiership player he would just be another "he had potential" player.

Drink drivers are criminals. If they kill someone then they are simply jailed.

Point proven JMCP. His family may be hurting 20 years on but time to draw that line in the sand.

42 means nothing more than a pissed player who drove into the back of a truck. His sudden death does not make him any more special than the other 21 players who got a premiership medallion on the day.
1948pie

Post by 1948pie »

if the no is to be brought out of retirement make it the permanent no of the captain of the reserves
Doc63

Post by Doc63 »

Would we still feel the same way if he had killed someone, which luckily, he didn't?

He was drunk, he got behind the wheel & he killed himself. Just like so many others do every week.

Yes, he was a premiership hero who played a whole final series with a broken hand. We will all be eternally grateful for what he, and every other player who played that day, did.

But he was no martyr.
rambopriscilla

Post by rambopriscilla »

Dragme wrote: 42 means nothing more than a pissed player who drove into the back of a truck.
I can't believe I just read that, unless I've accidentally tuned in to Talking Carlscum.
- "Number 42? I see you've got Darren Millane in the Heaven footy side"

- "No that's God. He just tries to play like Millane"
rambopriscilla

Post by rambopriscilla »

In Die Hard, when the helicopter gets shot at and crashes and blows up, Tannin is the dude whose only worry is "We're going to need some more FBI guys I guess".
- "Number 42? I see you've got Darren Millane in the Heaven footy side"

- "No that's God. He just tries to play like Millane"
fence-banger

Post by fence-banger »

Dragme wrote:^^ If he was not a premiership player he would just be another "he had potential" player.

Drink drivers are criminals. If they kill someone then they are simply jailed.

Point proven JMCP. His family may be hurting 20 years on but time to draw that line in the sand.

42 means nothing more than a pissed player who drove into the back of a truck. His sudden death does not make him any more special than the other 21 players who got a premiership medallion on the day.
Wow dragme, you're sure having a fun day. On this thread, you bag a Premiership player much luvd. On another, you bag Vicky Park, also much luvd.
Side by side we Stick together
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Wrong. Don't even bother thinking about it. Tannin would never appear in an American junk action movie. Never. Ever.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by stui magpie »

Tannin wrote:Wrong. Don't even bother thinking about it. Tannin would never appear in an American junk action movie. Never. Ever.
What? Would you appear in crash land on paradise island?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
MagpieMel

Post by MagpieMel »

Dragme wrote:^^ 42 means nothing more than a pissed player who drove into the back of a truck. His sudden death does not make him any more special than the other 21 players who got a premiership medallion on the day.
Words like that to a true Collingwood supporter are like burning the flag!

It's not his death that makes him any more special than anyone else, he made a huge mistake and paid the ultimate price and thankfully didn't cause the death of anyone else.

What made him special was more about who he was and the character of the man and how he made others feel, how he made others walk taller, and play harder because he had their backs.

Some of the things he did in 1990, and the courage he showed by playing the entire finals series with a broken thumb is what I think went a long way to making the difference that year. No individual is bigger than the team, but that team would not have been complete without Pants.

He wasn't the most skilled player, but he made up for that with courage, determination and a little bit of being a normal aussie bloke which made men love him because they could relate to him.

My earliest memories of watching Collingwood involve watching him and I to this day I don't think any other player has been worthy of the 42. I would hate to see it go to a new draftee, if it has to go to anyone it needs to go to someone who has shown they are a team man, and bleed black and white.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

MagpieMel wrote:
Dragme wrote:^^ 42 means nothing more than a pissed player who drove into the back of a truck. His sudden death does not make him any more special than the other 21 players who got a premiership medallion on the day.
Words like that to a true Collingwood supporter are like burning the flag!

It's not his death that makes him any more special than anyone else, he made a huge mistake and paid the ultimate price and thankfully didn't cause the death of anyone else.

What made him special was more about who he was and the character of the man and how he made others feel, how he made others walk taller, and play harder because he had their backs.

Some of the things he did in 1990, and the courage he showed by playing the entire finals series with a broken thumb is what I think went a long way to making the difference that year. No individual is bigger than the team, but that team would not have been complete without Pants.

He wasn't the most skilled player, but he made up for that with courage, determination and a little bit of being a normal aussie bloke which made men love him because they could relate to him.

My earliest memories of watching Collingwood involve watching him and I to this day I don't think any other player has been worthy of the 42. I would hate to see it go to a new draftee, if it has to go to anyone it needs to go to someone who has shown they are a team man, and bleed black and white.
+1, millane was a legend long before he died, leathal was even scared of him, played in the GF with a broken bone in his hand, but he was a legend long before that also.
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

If the family say yes then it would be nice to see the number grace the field.
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Anyone have an email address for Eddie so the members can have a direct say in this?
Sick and tired of "lifetime decisions" having use by dates.
The decision to permanently retire 42 was made. Let's stick with it.
jonesy86

Post by jonesy86 »

#42 will forever be remembered as Millane's number.

By giving it to our first pick each year the young players learn just that bit more about our clubs history and players who bled black and white.

By giving it to a new player each year it also ensures no player will be able to create a history in that number that will surpass Darren Millane.

Of course it would be great to get approval from the Millane family and I can see why Shaw and other players from 1990 want to see the number back out on the field.

As an example look at the numbers 5 and 35, seeing those numbers on the field fans/commentators/people in general more often than not remember Buckley and Daicos. I'd be happy to see the same for #42.
Carn' the PIES!!!!
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

Leave it retired.

And some people on this site disgust me.
HANDS OFF OUR JUMPER

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica