Time to get #42 back on the field

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

jonesy86

Post by jonesy86 »

I like the idea of our first pick in the draft wearing #42 each season. Having the number worn will ensure Millane keeps getting remembered and it doesn't give an opportunity for another player to make that number 'their own'. It will always be remembered as Millane's number.
Carn' the PIES!!!!
Clemo

Post by Clemo »

If the the Millane family give the OK, then I'm all for it.
Go Pies !!!!
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Yep, I was right. This is turning into a tacky cringe-fest already. Clearly, no-one here understands the concept of closure, of moving on, of letting the dead rest and the living live. Let it go, FFS!

Edit: I should hve said "few", not "no-one".
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
handy point

Post by handy point »

jonesy86 wrote:I like the idea of our first pick in the draft wearing #42 each season. Having the number worn will ensure Millane keeps getting remembered and it doesn't give an opportunity for another player to make that number 'their own'. It will always be remembered as Millane's number.
This was brought up about 5 or 6 years ago on this very site... I don't mind the idea at all but the immediate counterpoint was that Billy Morrison would be running around in it. :shock:
Semi-coherent Pie thoughts @ http://floreatpica.com
mattys123

Post by mattys123 »

Ask his family, if they agree then consider it for a certain type of player.

Maybe the Darren Millane trophy winner this year is the first player offered the number.
BHPIE

Post by BHPIE »

Only if the family agree, and then it should be the captains number.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

By all means, if his family agree, it would be great to see the number out there again. Hawthorn did it when one of their champs, peter crimmins,died of cancer. The number 5 was rested for about ten years, and now is the most sought after number at Hawthorn. Yep, time to bring it back onfield.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
loki04

Post by loki04 »

It's time to bring back 42 on field, great way to remember pants by seeing his number donning the black and white again.
Up the Mighty Mags 2016.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Tannin wrote:Yep, I was right. This is turning into a tacky cringe-fest already. Clearly, no-one here understands the concept of closure, of moving on, of letting the dead rest and the living live. Let it go, FFS!

Edit: I should hve said "few", not "no-one".
Considering you're being quite up front with your feelings, I still have NFI whether you would prefer the number to stay retired, unretire it and have specific criteria for who wears it, or just unretire it with no caveats.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

I tend to fall into the "it's just a number camp". Reinstate it without specifications as to who wears it - such a decision won't in any way reduce the reputation of Millane or cause us to forget him, just as our memories of Buckley and Daicos haven't been lessened by the exploits of Maxwell and Prestigiacomo. It was a respectful gesture from the club to retire Millane's number, but I don't think that reinstating it now would in any way be an act of disrespect.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

stui magpie wrote:Considering you're being quite up front with your feelings, I still have NFI whether you would prefer the number to stay retired, unretire it and have specific criteria for who wears it, or just unretire it with no caveats.
I don't much care what we do with it, so long as we stop all this distasteful caterwauling. It's just a number. Pretending it's a holy bloody relic of a Holy Bloody Saint, honestly, it's stomoch-churning. Any player worth his salt - and most especially Millane himself - would barf all over a wankfest like this, and enjoy doing it.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^ Yes, and I agree Darren himself would want the number back,he was that type of guy. He too would be puzzled by all the fuss.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Considering you're being quite up front with your feelings, I still have NFI whether you would prefer the number to stay retired, unretire it and have specific criteria for who wears it, or just unretire it with no caveats.
I don't much care what we do with it, so long as we stop all this distasteful caterwauling. It's just a number. Pretending it's a holy bloody relic of a Holy Bloody Saint, honestly, it's stomoch-churning. Any player worth his salt - and most especially Millane himself - would barf all over a wankfest like this, and enjoy doing it.
Fair enough then. :shock: :P :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Geek
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Geek »

Sorry Tannin, but it's a tradition and should be spoken about. Player numbers are a pretty significant thing in my book. How did you feel watching that NAB gam in Dubai when the number 5 ran on to the ball? If you were like me it was elation followed by an "oh yeah.. bummer" moment. I wore number 12 when I played my junior footy and 36 in my brief stint in the ammos. Got time for anyone wearing number 12, even if they are an ugly, sookie-la, umpire's pet from Moorabbin.

Disgrace to the number he is.

I always thought the 42 was retired until such time as someone was worthy to pick it up again. Sure... I'm a geek and maybe it sounds a bit like the Valheru's armour. But there's a fair bit of wank in footy these days and this just had a real honourable ring to it.

I reckon it would be nice to have the number picked up by someone who epitomised Millane's courage, spirit and skill. Someone with the mentality to take on a heavy bit of tragedy and respect and do it proud. Sorta closes the book on a sad piece of our club's history

Can think of one young player straight off the bat who would tick all the boxes, but he's currently honouring Burnsy's number and adding a very promising chapter to its history.
WITTY 35 DAICOS MAGIC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by WITTY 35 DAICOS MAGIC »

What a load of crap,
Not many kids or people have heard of him.

If you are the collingwood supporter,threw and threw,you bring your kids up on all storys,sad,bad and all glorys,even defeats.
Darren millane was one of the first players mentioned or shown footage of,to my kids.

Yeah smart decision,wasnt billy morrison,gonna be the first player that would have worn the number 42,bad joke,wheres billy now.

The number 42,is and belongs to one player,i love it when you see the number 42 on a old spicers jumper in the crowd,its unique,and it does get you reminising,of good old pants.

You cant imagine a player that would come close to being a millane type player,Millane was unique.
ONE of a kind.
Why let a rookie or even a player with much respect take over the number.
Once that player retires or seeks a move,then its just another player to wear number 42 again.

I say leave it retired,in 20 years time,when our kids,kids say why isnt number 42 out there.
Then its there job to pass on the Darren millane story.
If the numbers worn,so be it.

But geez you could put 20 buckleys in that number,it wouldnt be right.

Leave it retired with darren.
THEY JUST HATE US
COS THEY AINT US

DAICOS MAGIC 35
VINTAGE DARREN MILLANE 42