NBB Player Sponsorship 2008 - PLAYER POLL

This forum is for news & views about Nick's Bulletin Board sponsored player Remember that this is 'our' player so we want to keep all posts positive and encouraging.

Moderator: bbmods

Which player would you like to see NBB sponsor in Season 2008?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:52 am

John Anthony
47%
Shannon Cox
3%
Nathan Brown
1%
Ben Reid
5%
Danny Stanley
No votes
Ryan Cook
No votes
Chris Dawes
33%
Brad Dick
5%
Alan Toovey
3%
Sam Iles
3%

Total votes: 75

fan4collingwood

Post by fan4collingwood »

JA for sure, I want to see this lad in action!
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Much as I'm tempted about Dawes, I voted to stick with JA. After missing the year with injury, he's ready to go and should be looking to get into the 1's shortly.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Tully

Post by Tully »

I am more than happy to stick with JA, can't desert him after his bad luck last year.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Thats good to hear.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Tess wrote:Stick with JA, he is a good kid his dad told me he is an angel around home, never talks back and treats him mum like a queen. He always cleaned his room without being told to and was first at the sink to help out with the dishes after dinner. His dad said a Bloke couldn't ask for a more helpful son, even during his busiest times he was always there to make his bed or mow the lawn or feed the dog or vacumn and mop the floors. One the quiet shhhhhh, he even put the seat down .... I mean what a guy.
You trying to talk me out of JA Tess? :shock: :? :P
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
xtcc

Post by xtcc »

Shouldnt we sponsor a first year player.

Dyas for me.

New Country new game, he could do with some support from us.
Wheelie for safety. Go the Pies.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

I don't? :shock:
magpies9

Jac

Post by magpies9 »

I'm for Jac. He's going to have a Fantastic Year. Go Pies 2008
life is a blink "spread your wings and fly"
Breadcrawl

Post by Breadcrawl »

CrazyAboutDaisy wrote:
Tess wrote:Stick with JA, he is a good kid his dad told me he is an angel around home, never talks back and treats him mum like a queen. He always cleaned his room without being told to and was first at the sink to help out with the dishes after dinner. His dad said a Bloke couldn't ask for a more helpful son, even during his busiest times he was always there to make his bed or mow the lawn or feed the dog or vacumn and mop the floors. One the quiet shhhhhh, he even put the seat down .... I mean what a guy.
Sorry Tess but the perfect man doesnt exist :wink:
About as much as the perfect woman does. You know the 3ft tall chick with huge lips and a flat top of head so you can sit your beer on it.
they can smell what we're cookin'
paulie

Post by paulie »

I just told my wife that there saying on Nicks I don't exist and she threw her mouse at me!!!!!!!! :P :twisted: :D but seriously JA all the way!!!!!
stik35

Post by stik35 »

I voted for Chris Dawes. I just hope that whoever we choose, he at least gets a game this year.
If you bleed black and white you'll never walk alone.
magpiefanatic

Post by magpiefanatic »

stik35 wrote:I voted for Chris Dawes. I just hope that whoever we choose, he at least gets a game this year.
Hear hear!!

JA has yet to play a game and unless the team gets riddled with injuries (dare I say it) won't get a start this year based on what I have or haven't seen
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Reid is the most exciting player on that list. IMO.
favourites 2008

Post by favourites 2008 »

What's it matter if he plays or not, everyone on that side needs our support, JA after his year last year deserves every little bit of support he can get... so everyone wants to jump of the band wagon... gonna make him feel great.

JA for me, will be a star this season. Go pies.

PS Dawes wont get a game unless Rocca/Rusling/Cloke/Reid goes down...
So i guess he's in the same predicament.
MargOZ

Post by MargOZ »

I know this place has a reputation of going with an up and comer,but I personally think if an established player was chosen (And no,I dont mean Dale,Jacqui! ) although the cost would be greater and thus more funds would need to be raised,I believe more people would want to get involved.I am only speaking for myself,but if I knew the player I was partly financially backing was going to actually play a game and contribute,I'd be alot more willing to put some money in.
My concerns with going with a more established player and one that costs more money are:

1. It is ALWAYS a struggle to collect money, particularly in an online environment. People are very keen to pledge their involvement but every year we have people drop out at the last minute, and in my experience I think that will happen regardless of who we sponsor. My concern then is committing to the Club to pay a higher fee and not reaching the amount required. Not ot mention that my name is down as the contact and I certainly don't want to be stuck paying hundreds of dollars out of my own pocket!

2. The more established players will always be sponsored and usually more than once. I think it would be a real shame if only the 'stars' were sponsored and the other players in the team were ignored.

3. I really enjoy watching a new up and coming player, especially knowing we are supporting them. The risk is in whether they will make it out onto the field and for how long - but that's a part of the game, and I think part of the interest in watching their progress.

4. There is no set rule about the type of player NBB can sponsor but it was discussed, and certainly most of the people who PM'd the organisers of the sponsorship in the early days, were extremely keen to sponsor a young up and comer.

5. We will never get 100% agreement on ANYTHING in this forum because although we are all Collingwood supporters, we all still have our own opinions and views on pretty much everything! Each year we therefore go with the majority decision.

Having said that, if the consensus next year is to sponsor a more senior player then that is certainly what we can do. We would need to ensure we receive enough pledges to cover the amount needed - although even then I would still have concerns around actually getting enough money in when the time came to pay up!

So very happy to bring this discussion back to the table at the start of next season.

For now we are continuing to sponsor a 'player of the future' in season 2008. I will be forwarding the documentation, our choice of player (from the poll we have run) and initial payment at the end of this week.

Thanks again to everyone who has offered to be involved.

GO PIES!
Marg