Farewell and thanks - Joe Richards

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 161 times

Re: #29 Joe Richards

Post by Pies2016 »

The “ appropriate “ trade value for Richards is an interesting one. On the one hand, he has achieved very little as a 24 year old AFL player but is being offered a three/ four deal from Port and those lengthy contracts are usually reserved for players who figure in a clubs best 25 or so.
So Collingwood will be saying, you clearly rate this guy and we wanted to keep him also, so we need to be compensated accordingly.
Let’s take Houston out of this for a minute and talk about a straight swap. Collingwood would be asking for their #39 ( equal to an early third rounder on the night ) and that’s fair enough.
If Port want to haggle, then we can throw them a bone back with our last pick, currently #54. The way we are hunting around for un contracted players and delisted free agents, we probably wouldn’t use that pick on the night anyway.
Another option could be to ask for their F2 and should we have traded out our F1, then their F2 also becomes an attractive option.
The key to this trade is to winkle out their earliest available pick and then possibly give them a meaningless bone back. What you don’t want is a combination of late picks from them that don’t mean much, particularly in this draft.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Also by the sound of the trade news this morning it sounds like GC is doing a deal with Port separate to the Pies and Noble which doesn't bode well for our Houston raid. Whilst a mega trade is appealing it could take more time and stumble with more moving parts to go wrong. Separate deals could dilute our chances for the right picks to satisfy Port and make it easier for Players to waiver on the choice of club and easier for rivals to outbid us
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
We need to remember the Lukosuis trade from Suns to Port also muddies the water.
There’s a lot of “ you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours “ between the Pies, Suns and Port in all this. If you don’t give us #13, we won’t play fair on Noble ( he is in contract ) Port could play hard ball on Houston ( also contracted ) because we are greedy on a Richards trade. Suns might say Lukosuis isn’t going anywhere if Port don’t compensate the Suns fairly for a former #2 pick.
It’s probably best if all the above trades are handled between two clubs only. It only takes one club to feel hard done by along the way and suddenly a lot of talk and hours could all be wasted for nothing.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: Farewell and thanks - Joe Richards

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Happy to trade, I was pretty displeased he was asking for more money considering how long he’s been at the club and how he got here. If he’d had a 20 game standout season, sure. But he didn’t. I understand though that it’s a tough sport and you have to get what you can because it could easily end tomorrow. All the best Joe and thank you for Houston.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Farewell and thanks - Joe Richards

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I wonder what Ben Reid made of this?