Welcome to Collingwood - Dan Houston

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BEAMER09
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Welcome to Collingwood - Dan Houston

Post by BEAMER09 »

Pies4shaw wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:33 pm ^ Every year is said to be an "exceptional draft year". It is if you get the exceptional player. I'd rather have Houston than Scharenberg and Freeman.
agree and not to mention Grundy, Kennedy and Broomhead.
COLLINGW09D
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

^ Guaranteed that 2025 first rounder will come back to haunt us 😂
Durka
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Durka »

derkd wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:29 pm Welcome, i still don't feel easy about the fact we have moved out of what could be an exceptional draft. Only hindsight will tell us!
In this year's draft we swapped pick 36 for pick 58. I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
We gave up Richards - he wouldn't be playing ahead of our other small forwards unless injuries hit.
We gave up Noble - he tried hard, but was a turn over merchant that panicked once he made his first mistake. Had he played in the GF two years ago, we would not have won.
We gave up next year's first rounder but didn't we risk losing that on McGuane anyway (although, I haven't seen the new father/son rules yet)?
We received an A grader.
Great trading.
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

I tend to like the nickname Mike. Why may you ask?
Mike Whitney, as in Whitney Houston!!!! :D
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Durka wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 5:16 pm
derkd wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:29 pm Welcome, i still don't feel easy about the fact we have moved out of what could be an exceptional draft. Only hindsight will tell us!
In this year's draft we swapped pick 36 for pick 58. I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
We gave up Richards - he wouldn't be playing ahead of our other small forwards unless injuries hit.
We gave up Noble - he tried hard, but was a turn over merchant that panicked once he made his first mistake. Had he played in the GF two years ago, we would not have won.
We gave up next year's first rounder but didn't we risk losing that on McGuane anyway (although, I haven't seen the new father/son rules yet)?
We received an A grader.
Great trading.
Don't sweat it - there are always some desperate to attack any aspect of the player acquisition despite evidence to the contrary.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 113 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Best part about this trade as I see it it gives us loads of versatility across HBF
Perryman Houston Josh Nick Pendles Crisp WHE Sidey can all play there
We can mix n match depending on match ups or state of the game
I could see Houston starting on a wing and using his great foot skills hitting up leading forwards or equally having a 10 minute burst on the ball where his bigger body wouldn’t be a hinderance
Could you imagine Houston, Nick, Pendles and Josh feeding the ball into the forward line ?
Lefts hope the injury gods are with us now 🤞🤞🤞🤞
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 5:24 pm
Could you imagine Houston, Nick, Pendles and Josh feeding the ball into the forward line ?
Lefts hope the injury gods are with us now 🤞🤞🤞🤞
Supporters should be aware that he fits into good company.

Given our relatively slim draft successes over the last few years , picking up the experienced Perryman and now Houston is a Godsend with Sidey, Pendles,Howe,Elliott,Mitchell, Cox reaching the end.
Last edited by Charlie Oneeye on Tue Oct 15, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

• 1.jpg
Shocked to find out the deal is done. What a roller coaster ride it's been these last few days. Emotions going up and down.
But finally we got Dan Houston, I'm pleased. We should all be happy.

Not to mention the admin moves. Better these occur in the off season.
Next year 2025 promises to be a bonza year for the Magpies. Hope Ned Kelly can be a help and not a hindrance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

Official now, all done. Welcome Dan, good luck for the year ahead.
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

Port fans not happy with this trade. Think they didn’t get enough.

We’re giving up two players and two picks.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Presti35 »

I'd be more inclined to say that it's seen as a more even draft than a super draft. But we wont really know for a few more years. Right now we're going for the 2025 flag, so hopefully we can win it and then it wont really matter.

I remember when we sent pick 14 and 46 to Sydney for Jolly in 2009. Swans took Lewis Jetta at 14 and traded 46 (and 29 and 70) for McGlynn and Josh Kennedy. Here was the top 15 that year: Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Dustin Martin, Anthony Morabito, Ben Cunnington, Gary Rohan, Brad Sheppard, John Butcher, Andrew Moore, Jake Melksham, Jordan Gysberts, Kane Lucas, Daniel Talia, Lewis Jetta, Christian Howard.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

jonmac1954 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:37 pm
Big T wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:31 pm
Mr Miyagi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:28 pm Even better — he was favouring Carlton but they stuffed it up. 😂
Umm… pick 3 in a super draft with guaranteed generational talent on top of their list. I don’t think they stuffed up.

We did well to get our man, but the blues will be very happy right now.
NO PICK is a guaranteed generational talent - let alone a star.
yeh,plus we have ball magnet Tom McGuane coming in, hes a pick 3 easy, so Bluescum not done all that well.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Fantastic, Housten we dont have a problem anymore. thank God we got it done , hes one helluva player, Dermie reckons he will improve us overwhelmingly, he is an absolute gun,next to Bruzza, IQ,Moore, Finals,here we come, top 4 says hello now.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

This is who we added to our team:
Rated Top 15 player in 2024
Rated number one defender in 2024
Elite / accurate kicking
Long kicking
Goal scorer
Automatically our best field kick, and our best kick since Nathan Buckley (yes, it’s true)
Our first rounder won’t come back to bite us next year because that would have been used on McGuane; we simply need points to recruit McGuane. The “A-” blurb really did know SFA about our draft hand for 2025.
We upgraded our HB (Noble), released a handy but somewhat superfluous small forward (Richards), gave up some picks, and also brought in Perryman, with McGuane to come. How anyone can say we paid overs or is undecided with our trade period needs to take a step back and re-read what I just wrote.
Est. 2002
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Presti35 »

We now have 2 players that beat Essendon with a goal after the siren on the list
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!