Trade Winds: Dan Houston

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Trade Winds: Dan Houston

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Pies4shaw wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:08 am ^ McGuane is only 177 cm tall and slight and could barely touch the ball in the Grand Final curtain raiser. There is no reason to be confident that he will be a good AFL player.
I'm not sold on recruiting midgets either. They rarely develop into first 18 impact players. If we wanted a midget with skills we may as well have kept Richards.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 113 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I’m hearing the sticking point on the Houston deal is Port want either Suns to cover a large chunk of Lukrious salary or Collingwood to throw in Richards and a future 2nd or 3rd pick
I think right now there taking the proverbial
I would walk away from dealing with Port and just broker a deal with Suns to get pick 13 and take it to draft night
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:55 pm I’m hearing the sticking point on the Houston deal is Port want either Suns to cover a large chunk of Lukrious salary or Collingwood to throw in Richards and a future 2nd or 3rd pick
I would walk away from dealing with Port and just broker a deal with Suns to get pick 13 and take it to draft night
If so just plain stupid greedy.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

SLORT wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:34 am
Pies4shaw wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:08 am ^ McGuane is only 177 cm tall and slight and could barely touch the ball in the Grand Final curtain raiser. There is no reason to be confident that he will be a good AFL player.
Heightist much! Errol Gulden is 175cm, Zorko is 175cm...yeah, you're right, more likely he'll be shit if he's not 194cm like Long...Have you even looked at the draft prospects for this year? Most of the top midfielders in this "super draft" are struggling to make 182cm. Hell, he'll probably grow another 2-5cm next year anyway.
It may be that the complex concept was problematic - but I made 3 points. One was his height. The second was his build - presently slight - and the third was that he barely touched the ball in a reasonable-quality game between with his potential draft competition played as the Grand Final curtain raiser.

Also, I didn't say he won't be a good AFL player - I merely said that there is no reason to be confident that he will be. I certainly didn't say he'll be "shit".
slangman
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:55 pm I’m hearing the sticking point on the Houston deal is Port want either Suns to cover a large chunk of Lukrious salary or Collingwood to throw in Richards and a future 2nd or 3rd pick
Port are on the mushrooms….

Collingwood should seriously just walk away now and stop wasting their time with this trade.
- Side By Side -
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

slangman wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:29 pm
Port are on the mushrooms….

Collingwood should seriously just walk away now and stop wasting their time with this trade.
What else does Leppitsch have to do in the next 36 hours? Not like we have any currency to trade right now and all the DFA additions can come at a later stage.

Sheesh - so many here willing to spit the dummy and walk away. I get it’s frustrating but you can’t just crack it cause it’s all a bit tedious. How do you think people do big deals in business??? Throw a hissy fit when they don’t get their own way?
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
mattdally
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mattdally »

The mega three-way deal that gets Dan Houston to the Pies is ALIVE, per Cal Twomey.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Mitch Cleary is reporting the deal is now done.
Colin G Wood
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Colin G Wood »

SEN reporting the deal is DONE !! Houston a Pie
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 307 times

Post by Jezza »

Here we go... :twisted:
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Pies4shaw wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:08 am
RudeBoy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:54 am I'm more concerned that we may have given up on securing Tom McGuane next year, given we are trading out all our draft picks.
^ McGuane is only 177 cm tall and slight and could barely touch the ball in the Grand Final curtain raiser. There is no reason to be confident that he will be a good AFL player.
McGuane was an underage player in that game and was sick the day of the game, but the coach's wanted to reward him by giving him game time regardless. Let's re-visit this in 12 months time, but my mail is he will possibly be a top 5 draft pick.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Twomey reports done deal

we get Houston, 58
lose Future 1st, Noble, Richards, 36
Last edited by Charlie Oneeye on Tue Oct 15, 2024 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBHS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by BBHS »

Deal done - Welcome to Collingwood Dano
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

I'm happy to have Dan Houston at Collingwood. He is one of the best attacking back flankers in the game and will suit Fly's game plan to attack from the half back line. He covers the loss of Noble's run and gives more one-on-one contest so definitely an upgrade there. The price is yet to be confirmed but loss of Noble and Richards is not great in terms of premier players, just need to look at what youth can be brought into the club in the draft. Hopefully a couple of diamonds in the rough can be found in this year's draft by Derek Hine and his team since only late picks to play with. I think Houston and Perryman will add to Collingwoods competitiveness in 2025.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Houston....we have lift off!

We have got Houston and pick 58 in exchange for a first and second round draft pick, Noble and Richards. We've given up a shit load to get him, so he'd better be good.