Trade Winds: Dan Houston

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Re: Trade Winds: Dan Houston

Post by Johnno75 »

The age article has been updated. No mention of the Power wanting another late round selection anymore and the possibility the Pies and GC broker a separate deal for Pick 13 and Noble.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Also saying Port wants to Trade Houston to North Melbourne
I am Da Man
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by shawthing »

Presti35 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:01 pm
Port are seriously wasting everyones time and possibly costing us time to do a minor deal or 2. I want to hear what Gold Coast and Collingwood really think.
Not just Port. The whole AFL. They have NFI about trading. In the NFL these deals are done all the time right throughout the season. Teams are always prepared to give something up to get something. Here everyone is trying to make a killing. The ideal trade should be equal benefit to both teams. Honestly the AFL needs to do something about it. This trade period has produced almost no decent trades at all. Have all year round trading for needs. Teams should be able to swap players at anytime. Need a ruckman mid-season? Good, swap a player for a ruckman from another club. Player and club loyalty is a thing of the past, so make it happen.
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

Meh, it’ll happen. Port probably right. 2 c graders and a b do not equal an a grade player. An AA at that.
Him not being adamant he wants to leave and him being contracted means we have to pay overs.
They’ll work it out.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

Interesting that the club appearing to make out like a bandit is the one who has reportedly backed out.

Gee I’m grateful we managed to grab Perryman for nothing at the start. At least we’ve managed to add one player to the starting 22 for next year.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Culprit
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

The AFL has no doubt stepped in and requested that the drama continue to keep the AFL in the news. It will be done at the last minute.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I just don’t think Port want to trade Houston to Collingwood. Port think they’re in some sort of premiership window and trading out Houston to Collingwood only makes another contender stronger. Its probably only their commitment to Richards which has kept us in it.
They would much prefer to trade Houston to the Kangas and their offer keeps getting better, so that suits Port perfectly. They either want to keep Houston or trade him to North. By Port pushing back on this current offer, it gives them more time to have dialogue with North.
Very messy indeed and didn’t help when every journo felt the need to put their different take on it too.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Is there an official media manager who coordinates trade week? There must be and their remit will be to maximise advertising revenue. And then the lead reporters are employed by the AFL with cosy deals with the player managers licenced by the AFL. All deals have to be submitted to the AFL anyway so this would be so easy to manipulate.

I think The AFL will want to keep a fixed period for trading to continue to max the revenue. If they adopted the NRL style sign and trade anytime there is a risk they would dilute the focus and just increase media speculation rather than AFL revenue.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Screw Port. Let Houston go to the Roo's, we do the trade with Suns with Noble to get their pick 13 and if Port want Richards they can fkn pay up, big.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Haff

Post by Haff »

Its a circus for a reason. I've had trade radio on at quiet times at work, checked the afl trade page multiple times, had the feed up. The AFL gain nothing by a short and sharp trade period.

Still very confident it will still happen. I dont think we have too many other trades to look at anyway so this is all there is for us. Personally I think GC were taking the piss with what they were getting out of this 3 way trade, port were getting unders, we are probably close to even, maybe slightly ahead for mine. As i've said above, 3 fringe (Licousus finished in the 2's yeah?) players for an AA doesnt add up.

The only snag is, we dont have anything else to give. We have to engineer something with GC to stop taking the piss.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I honestly don't care if we miss out on Houston. We have numerous options for the half back position anyway. Sure, he'd be a good addition, but not if we have to jeopardise our future by giving away all our draft picks.
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

Port Adelaide are the new Essendon as the worst team to negotiate trades with. They were terrible in the early 2000's when they refused to trade Stevens to Collingwood and were happy to loose that player for nothing rather than deal with Collingwood.
To throw a spanner at Port Adelaide, if I were Collingwood I would now aim at Jack Lukosius as part of deal involving Noble to the Suns and offer whatever Port Adelaide were offering to steal him from under their nose as revenge for wasting everyones time over the Houston deal. Whilst I would have preferred Houston, he is just a back flanker (albeit a very good one) whereas Lukosius has some potential as a third tall to add to Collingwoods scoring potential.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Haff

Post by Haff »

RudeBoy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:01 am I honestly don't care if we miss out on Houston. We have numerous options for the half back position anyway. Sure, he'd be a good addition, but not if we have to jeopardise our future by giving away all our draft picks.
Its all about Daicos. Perryman and Houston through the middle / half back frees us to put him anywhere.

Safe to say we are all in on next season. Injuries hit again and the cliff comes we dont really have a choice but to bottom out in compromised drafts. Still, we win it next year I dont much care.
BBHS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by BBHS »

We don't really have anything more to give I wouldn't have thought to get this deal done. Probably move on to other things I'd say.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Boot wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:05 am Port Adelaide are the new Essendon as the worst team to negotiate trades with.
Nah it’s Hawthorn and Carlton, particularly the former. hawthorn burnt some bridges last week and it’s going to bite them on the arse in future. Carlton put a few noses out of joint.