Which past trade had you genuinely excited?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 175 times

Which past trade had you genuinely excited?

Post by Presti35 »

For me, I almost have to say Shane Woewodin. I know that seems crazy, but at the time I was really happy to get him as I believed he could help push us over the line of Grand Final success. I was young at the time.

What's one former trade that really got you pumped for the season ahead?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Which past trade had you genuinely excited?

Post by Haff »

The 09 trade period. Jolly and then Ball exactly addressed the gaps on our list! The rest is history…
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

Getting Tom Mitchell in '23 was a masterstroke.

He led the competition in handballs, averaged 25 touches, played all 26 games and polled 12 Brownlow votes. He was instrumental in us finishing in the top 4 and taking the ultimate prize.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Not exactly a trade but I was hopeful of David Young in 1979.

Francis and Russell - we needed onballers and we them, from SA, in one go. The rest is history...
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Magpie Russ wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:53 am Not exactly a trade but I was hopeful of David Young in 1979.

Francis and Russell - we needed onballers and we them, from SA, in one go. The rest is history...
How funny, and I thought I was the only Collingwood supporter around who was hopeful of David Young at that time. He played some really good footy at South Melbourne but he never really duplicated those feats at Collingwood ( certainly not very often )

Holland and Clement for # 39 was a great win for us. Holland came as a reasonable player already but I don’t think anyone expected Clement to elevate his performance levels the way he did at Collingwood. His duels with Hird were worth the admission fee alone.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Anthony Rocca, when we got him from Sydney I was genuinely excited at seeing him and Sav in tandem.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Ricky Watts right boot
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Ricky Watts right boot »

Jeremy Howe from Melbourne - what a great steal that was! (kudos to Nathan Buckley)
Magpie Russ

Post by Magpie Russ »

stui magpie wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 12:43 pm Anthony Rocca, when we got him from Sydney I was genuinely excited at seeing him and Sav in tandem.
Ollie Henry comes to mind...

Remember he walked out with the Swans on Grand Final day. Did not play. I was thinking they were trying to tempt him to stay.
Magpie Russ

Post by Magpie Russ »

Pies2016 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 12:21 pm
Magpie Russ wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:53 am Not exactly a trade but I was hopeful of David Young in 1979.

How funny, and I thought I was the only Collingwood supporter around who was hopeful of David Young at that time. He played some really good footy at South Melbourne but he never really duplicated those feats at Collingwood ( certainly not very often )

Holland and Clement for # 39 was a great win for us. Holland came as a reasonable player already but I don’t think anyone expected Clement to elevate his performance levels the way he did at Collingwood. His duels with Hird were worth the admission fee alone.
I was a kid catching the train to a school off St Kilda Road. Catching the train home, walking through the carriage looking for a copy of The Herald, reading the story and being excited for the coming year. We made the Grand Final in 1980 and he played.

Clement. Was a quaterback. Retired too soon for business reasons.
Holland. I remember when he ran through that Footscray player at the bounce. I remember being disappointed as he would miss weeks. We lost that game. That was Holland, physical.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Peter Eakins from WA in 1970 and then some years later, Gary Shaw from SA. Both arrived with massive reputations, but never lived up to the hype.
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

Magpie Russ wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 4:14 pm Clement. Was a quaterback. Retired too soon for business reasons.
Think we were all shocked when he gave it away. Though this article lays out why. His wife had dire health issues.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victo ... e5e3f8b246
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Clement was a super player. I used to wonder how a white collar accountant type could be so good at footy ( I was young back then )
Holland was a decent player too. He kicked 8 goals against the Eagles one day. He could find his own footy and then he took on a tagging role for us later in his career. That’s when the suspensions started coming 😂

Yep, not a bad return for #39. I had a check and Dockers snagged Adam McPhee with that pick. He was an ok player who was then traded to the Bombers.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 307 times

Post by Jezza »

Haff wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:23 pm The 09 trade period. Jolly and then Ball exactly addressed the gaps on our list! The rest is history…
Yep I'm the same with Ball and Jolly.

I'll never forget the anxiety of the 2009 National Draft when we were hoping Ball would slip to Pick 30 (our first pick in the draft).

There was some talk at the time that Melbourne were interested in Ball and for a moment I thought he was going to be selected at Pick 18, but Melbourne opted for Luke Tapscott instead. Biggest sigh of relief I can remember in my life :lol:
Last edited by Jezza on Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Presti35 »

^ thats right! I remember that day too.

Watching with some Essendon supporting friends who weren't happy we got Ball. We later took Simon Buckley too IIRC.

That whole saga helped the introduction of free agency. St Kilda really stuffed up. We had a trade on offer and they didnt go for it. Then we beat em in the GF after a draw.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Big T »

Beams traded to Brisbane. Brought in two guns. Anything that clears out over priced players to bring in young guns
Buon Giorno