Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 177 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by Presti35 »

Sam Frost won season 2 of The Bachelor... whoops wrong one. Brother Jack was once a Pie. But is 31. Played every game and had a good year tho.

James Blanck at 23 didnt play at senior level in 2024, so who knows how good he is?

But this is good thinking.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
slangman
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

Seriously the trade period should be cut down to Monday-Friday.

The middle part is such a waste of time that it’s better to just switch off until Wednesday next week when it all really begins.
- Side By Side -
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Presti35 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:11 am Sam Frost won season 2 of The Bachelor... whoops wrong one. Brother Jack was once a Pie. But is 31. Played every game and had a good year tho.

James Blanck at 23 didnt play at senior level in 2024, so who knows how good he is?

But this is good thinking.
Just to elaborate on Blanck. He was going nicely as a key defender for them in 2023 ( 197cm )
He did his ACL right at the start of the 2024 season, so that’s why he didn’t play this year. He’s obviously well into his rehab by now, so any club interested would need to do their diligence.
If I’m Collingwood, I’m looking to get into Frosts ear first because you would go to him and say we have a spot for you at Collingwood as our second key defender. Can Hawthorn say that to you right now with Battle and Barrass coming on board. He’s under contract, so Hawks control the narrative but if Collingwood are so hell bent on going all in, then offering any club either #23 or # 36 in this draft, is something Hawthorn would have to consider, especially for their third in line key defender ( and then also having Blanck as their fourth option )
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
slangman
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

^ we need to get away from recruiting players with poor disposal.
I’d rather keep Dean than pursue Frost.
- Side By Side -
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

^ U wouldn't spend 23 or 36 here tho would you?

Tomlinson will come as a DFA, he is the same age as Frost.
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Maybe we should have a “Powerplay” in trade week. 15% off TPP for any contract player trades done in the 1st 48 hours.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
@Presti35

I wouldn’t think so either. It would likely be a swap of picks. I think we’re getting a bit caught up with specific individuals as opposed to HOW TO IDENTIFY where any future trade opportunities could unfold during this trade period.
The problem is that if we were to be involved in any further trades outside of Houston, they would likely be contracted players, so the parent club controls the conversation. Anyone we pursue, whether Frost or whoever, would likely require overs to be winkled out.
Whether right or wrong, the club has made the decision to go after a flag in 2025. No problem with that but when you have a glaring issue of only having one decent key defender on your entire list, I would have thought the club would be looking to invest in that area as equally as the midfield. As for comparisons against the likes of Dean, Tomlinson etc, all I would say is that one was playing senior footy every week for their club and the others weren’t.
Anyway, sounds like we’ve settled on Tomlinson as an additional key defensive option but I’m yet to be convinced he makes us better. At least there’s no trade involved.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

What about clubs looking for draft points? Lions have pick 20, is that on the table for later picks?? Essendon have 9, but that is too difficult of a move I reckon. Are there any other clubs in this situation?

I wonder if the Lions could have any interest at all in Krueger or Ash Johnson? Could we put one of these players together with 36, 52, and 55 to get pick 20 and 73?
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

After obtaining pick 13 and 23, could we do the unthinkable and move 13 to the Swans for 19 and 22? With the above scenario, giving us 19, 20, 22, 23 :P

This of course goes against Flys "get players now, not picks" way of thinking.
SLORT
Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by SLORT »

"Brisbane trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 20) to Richmond for two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 32 and 42) and two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 43 and 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft."

Any thoughts?
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Well there goes that one.
SLORT
Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by SLORT »

At least the picks from Richmond get sucked up by the fs/a's. Hopefully clubs come in nice and early on all of them thereby value adding to all the remaining later picks.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

I'm just being selfish in wanting good players and good picks too. I know that cant really happen. But I just hate waiting on all of this. I'd love to find homes for Johnson and Macrae. I'm happy to wait on Tomlinson/Hayes as DFAs. I was wrapped when we got Perryman. I just want to look at Reef/Krueger/Johnson and decide which 1 is staying and what happens to the other 2. I want to look at our rookie list and decide who is staying out of Dean/Sulli/Eyre/Long. I think Bytel is gone.

The Houston saga is draining. But I'd love to see this happen soon, along with Lord and pick 23. What an outcome that'd be. I'd love to be able to have a crack at getting Kennedy too. All this with picks that give us a shot at the players I want in the draft... I know you cant have the cake and eat it too. But I feel like we have missed out a little bit with the clubs who wanted points but also that you just cant rock up with a trade idea and expect another club to roll with it.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Problem with Houston is he hasn’t nominated a specific Victorian club. The result is a bidding war that’s affecting other trades. If he flat out said he wants to go to Carlton or us, that makes our job easier with the other trades (Noble, Richards, others) we need to do. Leppa and team will be looking at plans b, c, d, e and f though. Houston, if you’re reading, make your mind up son.
bucking awesome
Been liked: 1 time

Post by bucking awesome »

Houston - we have a problem - again. Now the Scum have done a pick swap with Whorethorn whereby they now have picks 12 and 14. It ain’t over yet
Painful frustrating disappointing exhilarating and unbelievably awesome. - That's a Collingwood life through and through