Graham Wright - ex-General Manager of Football

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: Graham Wright - ex-General Manager of Football

Post by stui magpie »

Wright had long had ambitions to take the next step up and be a CEO. This is a perfect opportunity. Sign on as deputy CEO under one of the best in the business, learn on the job for 12 months, then take over.

We couldn't have offered him anything like that.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

The only reason I can see that he chose Carlton was because he's settled in Melbourne and the idea of living in Adelaide or Hobart just wasn't appealing. It'll be interesting to see who the AFL has in mind for the Tassie job.

The thing that disturbs me most about our situation is that the position has apparently been stripped of responsibility (ie power & resources), and now sits vacant with nary a word about who'll actually fill it. PA's GM said "yeah nah", so that is also a red flag. Perhaps just name Leppa and be done with it? Or maybe he's also declined.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Football is a professional business and administrators and staff move clubs all the time in search of promotion, greater responsibility and better money.

Hysterical declamations about corruption without any shred of forensic evidence are libelous. Demands for retribution (revocation of life membership etc) are both mean-spirited and dumb.

Obviously there is a story behind this in relation to Wright and Kelly but let's not forget Wright did some excellent work for us and that should be acknowledged.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

stui magpie wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 11:08 am Wright had long had ambitions to take the next step up and be a CEO. This is a perfect opportunity. Sign on as deputy CEO under one of the best in the business, learn on the job for 12 months, then take over.

We couldn't have offered him anything like that.
We could have offered him the CEO role last year, take over when Browne steps down and Kelly becomes President.

That should have been the succession plan hatched last year. Browne has earmarked Kelly for President. He said so repeatedly at a coterie function.

Browne would have foreseen this. Maybe the differences between Kelly and Wright were irreparable and Browne made the call that Kelly was the 'keeper'.
Culprit
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

Wright going to the Blues as Deputy CEO is good for him. He wants to be a CEO, just another level of learning. Good Luck to GW.
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

One can only hope Wright destroys Carlscum from the inside out and is not associated with the ultimate success for that putrid turd pile of a club
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 307 times

Post by Jezza »

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:20 pm One can only hope Wright destroys Carlscum from the inside out and is not associated with the ultimate success for that putrid turd pile of a club
Wrighty to be the Mick of the 2020s.

A double agent to destroy Carlton from within :P
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Brodies Dad
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Brodies Dad »

Culprit wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:21 pm
Brodies Dad wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:08 pm Speaking to someone involved with another club this week, and they told me it is well known around footy circles that Wright wanted to stay but that he was forced out by Craig Kelly.

That would make sense. Wright wouldn't leave of his own account having just been there 3 years.

If that is in fact the case, it will be interesting to see what happens to Kelly in the next 6-12 months with his other issues.
Brodies Dad

Yeah OK :D :D
Apology accepted.
Brodies Dad
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Brodies Dad »

lazzadesilva wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:32 am Wright has been appointed at Carlscum 😡 Oh bugger. 🤬 I smell a poaching act by the scum 😦if they now get Houston as well by using Wright’s relationship with him established at the pies, I will spew🤮 Geez I hope Collingwood doesn’t bend over and take shit from the scum 🤬 This stinks of brown paper bags being involved between Wright and the scum😡 if this is true, Collingwood should remove the bastard from his magpie life membership 🤬
Craig Kelly forced him out. If you want to blame someone, blame him mate.
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

This is like the worst case scenario. Possible scum flag within 3 years.
Get back on top.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Cam wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 6:01 pm This is like the worst case scenario. Possible scum flag within 3 years.
Yeah I totally agree. I guess my anger about this matter was based on my absolute hatred of Carlscum (for which I don’t apologise). The probability of the scum being premiers just increased by heaps. Oh well, let’s see what Kelly does to get us out of this huge mess. Also legal threats or whatever aside, the scum have been the target of rumours in the past that involved the use of brown paper
bags. So be it. To ME, I rated Wriight highly and hate that the scum will be the ones who will get the success he will deliver 😡🤬
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Piesnchess
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Let me down, and **** of ALL teams, bet their vile fans are loving this and gloating. Turned out a prick,we paid him full salary while he had a friggin gap year, then comes back and pisses off to our No. 1 arch enemy. Very disappointed in him, hope he fails miserably, and the Bluescum crash to mediocrity. Too many soft cock fans who put up with this type of shenaigans, wish him luck, what crap, imagine his beaming moosh if the scum get a 17 th flag. Carlton are well known underhand cheats, this stinks like a 3 day fish left in the fridge. Oh and dont reply to me with some soppy excuse for him, Im only interested in improving Collingwood, not having them improved by a once favourite son.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

Cam wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 6:01 pm This is like the worst case scenario. Possible scum flag within 3 years.
Our biggest friend in this situation...history. Carlton has tried several times throughout history to steal our secret sauce, to replicate our seven herbs and spices. When Wright starts with "side by side", and "team first", they'll be looking at him like he's from Chy-na, speaking Cantonese... Our Jock McHale based ethos doesn't translate well for their ears. He'll either have them a flag within two years (possibly 2 within 5 with that list...) or he will sack their coach, and then himself be gone within those same three years. If he doesn't get success and early then their "fan base" will happily point their finger at the black and white cuckoo that's driven their club backwards.

No pressure though...
slangman
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

I must say that I am really disappointed that GW departed Collingwood and even more so now that he has joined Carlton.

I attribute all of our improvement since his arrival to the decisions that HE made and to not have understood or valued that is something that we come to rue imho. He was the person who fixed our salary cap issues, chose McCrae as coach and then had the brains to surround him with excellent assistants, fixed our high performance program, traded in players that were crucial to our premiership.

Carlton have got a very good operator who has a track record of success at whichever club he is at.

I fear that we have backed the wrong person (if reports are correct about a clash between GW & CK).
GW had a proven track record whilst Kelly is a former player agent….and who remembers the disaster left by the last ex player agent that we hired!
- Side By Side -
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Brian Cook has been CEO for a while and he is one of the best with sustained success at both WCE and Geelong.

Having Wright won’t guarantee them a flag.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.