#8 Lachie Schultz

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Re: #8 Lachie Schultz

Post by RudeBoy »

One thing about Schultz which many seem to overlook, is what a great mark he is for his size. He is a one grab mark. He's no Jamie Elliott or Bobby Hill, but he's good nonetheless. Like others, I expect he'll be more settled in our team next season and he'll demonstrate why we got him.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Be interesting to know where he actually finished in the Copeland. He wasn't in the top ten. Our Gavin Brown Medal voting - which correctly identified all of the top six finishers - had him equal 20th.
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

I was pleased for Lachie Schultz to be recognized for the pressure acts he performed so consistently well this year.
I feel it was a tough year for Schultz to come into a premiership team but he kicked quite a few goals, helped the team win against the Lions and was often asked to play more of a target forward role than anyone would have hoped given the rash of injuries to key players. There were times he looked nervous when lining up for shots on goal as though the pressure of the world was on his shoulders. I hope he continues to apply elite pressure when the ball is loose in our forward line next season, but I also hope he is able to relax a bit more and allow his natural talent to shine in 2025.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

While it's only part of the KPIs as to the value a player will bring to the team, I'm putting forward that if Schultz kicks more than Ginnivan in 2025, those that have lambasted the trade will have to change their signature for all of 2026 to "I was wrong on Schultz". :lol:
Any takers?
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ The two trades were not closely connected. Bringing in Schultz did not mean trading out Ginnivan.

Collingwood has got from Schultz what they could reasonably have expected - his output was slightly below what he managed in 2023 (his career year to date) - but only slightly (eg, 4 more goals for the 2024 year and he would have equaled his best goals-per-game season). In any event, he kicked 5 against West Coast in 2023 and missed playing West Coast this year, so what you saw is likely about what you get, going forward. That's fine - they make the gameplan, not us.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

I'm a fan of Schultz, however, there remains a handful of supporters that don't see the trading of the two as mutually exclusive.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers