Farewell and thanks - Joe Richards

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: #29 Joe Richards

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Richards is a good player but still on the fringe and an unproven regular performer, an extension is not guaranteed after 3.

Pies offer a house, Port a house and a $400,000? 'cash bonus'.(Providing salaries are equal).

When the 4 year deal is over, still young enough for an extension if he is good enough.

I would take the 4 year deal.
K
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

Gerry Cooper wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:55 pm I dont think I would be that disappointed if we lost Richards. The one thing we aren't short of is talented small forwards with Bobbie, Beau, Schultz, Harrison and others who could play that role. I think Richards is very talented but he is a small body that wont get a lot bigger. He has difficulty applying effective physical pressure, both when tackling and in packs, and is likely to remain an outside player for most of his career. ...
Apart from Hill, the others you list are very... err... working-class. If Joe "has difficulty applying effective physical pressure", then Beau is the opposite. He only has physical pressure. At some point, you want more than that... Can't have three defensive forwards, no key power forward and expect to win flags. (Hill's not gonna win Norm Smith every GF!)
Piesnchess
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

According to a very reliable source on Utube, Joe has been offered by us, the same contract deal that Port is offering, so he aint going nowhere , staying a Magpie.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

What did Fly say at the Copeland? Apparently he said something pointed to Joe Richards?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ "A real smart young player we're excited for that he can be in a Collingwood jumper for years to come."

He had a more pointed message about the pressing need for more father/sons: "You're never too old to have kids. Hopefully, Peter and Colleen Daicos are listening." :D
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

Surely Joe Richards is only going to be at Collingwood if he can't be used as a trade for Dan Houston with Port Adelaide to also get a first round draft pick. That would be a fair trade in my mind.
If Port don't accept that then Joe stays at Collingwood and hopefully has a long and successful career.
I think that coach Craig McRae sees a lot of himself in Richards, so there might be a bit of favoritism going for Joe.
Personally, I struggle to see Joe Richards being in the best team if all the list is fit and well.
I rate the following ahead of him in the pecking order of selection for a forward spot to share with the two key forwards of Mihocek and McStay; Elliot, Hill, McCreery, Lipinski, Hoskin-Elliot and even Harvey Harrison (albeit not in 2025 with his recovery from an ACL on-going). Then there's the resting forward role for the likes of DeGoey, Crisp and Nick Daicos that also takes up at least one forward position in the team.
Tough to see Joe Richards being anything more than a depth player next year if he remains at the club.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Presti35 »

Pies4shaw wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:41 am "Peter and Colleen Daicos are listening." :D
Maybe Peter could have an affair with Han Xu?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Richards will be at Port.
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

Being reported he has asked for a trade. Welcome to Collingwood Dan Houston.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... ade-update
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Podpicken

Post by Podpicken »

Has to be part of the Houston deal.
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 307 times

Post by Jezza »

Not surprising. Ideally, I would have liked to retain him but Port are clearly offering him more by way of money and job security.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

Haff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:23 am Being reported he has asked for a trade. Welcome to Collingwood Dan Houston
Straight swap for Soldo.
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Reported that Carlton had upped the ante for Heuston, an indication Collingwood was getting the upper hand.

Richards is now trade currency to Port, I guess the last pieces are Lukosius to Port, Noble to GC...

GC wants to clear their first picks
Ports wants early picks
We don't want our future first, but could do with one this year.

The pieces have fallen into place nicely for us.
Culprit
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

Good on Joe to get a nice 3 year deal after coming in from the mid season draft. Best wishes and let’s get a nice deal done so everyone is happy.
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

The club retains a player if they wanted, of course, there are exceptions to that rule.

In this case, Richards may have been told he was in a line, basically steering his decision.