Geelong, good list management or something else?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by shawthing »

If the trade mail is correct most of the players requesting a trade want to go to Geelong. Why? Now Oliver wants to go there. Can someone explain to me how they fit all these players under their salary cap?
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Bailey Smiths Geelong contract will be offset by Cotton On. They are a major sponsor of Geelong and Smith is one of the faces of Cotton On. Geelong will simply establish an arrangement with Cotton On to increase Smiths C O “ exposure “ and C O will be the ones who pay a portion of his overall contract with Geelong.
It’s not salary cap abuse, it’s just creative, so there’s nothing to see here with Smith.
As for Oliver, I don’t see how he gets to Geelong without them releasing a decent player from their list. They’ve also committed to Jack Martin, so there’s another new contract.
From Dees perspective, given all their recent bad press, they really can’t afford to let Oliver go unless it was a really good trade outcome in return and that’s another area the Cats fall short on. The Cats do it well but at some point, you can’t continue to squeeze blood out of a stone.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35
Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 172 times

Post by Presti35 »

RE: Smith/Cotton On, I thought this sort of thing was now banned after the Judd/Visy fiasco.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Pies2016 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:09 amBailey Smiths Geelong contract will be offset by Cotton On. They are a major sponsor of Geelong and Smith is one of the faces of Cotton On. Geelong will simply establish an arrangement with Cotton On to increase Smiths C O “ exposure “ and C O will be the ones who pay a portion of his overall contract with Geelong. It’s not salary cap abuse, it’s just creative, so there’s nothing to see here with Smith.
That doesn't really explain it though, coz if they can do it, so can every other club. It can't be a uniquely Geelong thing
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

@WhyPhilWhy? Absolutely every club can do it but how often do we have a situation where a clubs prime trade target is also the face of their major sponsor. It’s a perfect fit and while there are plenty of ways to skin a cat, this is how Smiths salary will be “ complemented “ at Geelong.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Presti35 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:14 pm RE: Smith/Cotton On, I thought this sort of thing was now banned after the Judd/Visy fiasco.
There’s nothing to really ban. Cotton On will give him more work and pay him accordingly but the “ deal “ to give him more work comes from Geelong. Potentially, the Cats simply give C O a bit more bang for their buck in the corporate boxes ( or whatever )
If I remember rightly, the difference was Judd did absolutely zero for his “ ambassadorial “ role, while Smith has been a face of C O for a number of years. All C O are doing, is stepping up his profile and using him more often.
Presti35
Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 172 times

Post by Presti35 »

^That still isn't right. How can the AFL say it's ok for a player to go to a club if a clothing company offers him more cash if he plays for that club?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

yeh, and how the hell can they afford Oliver, Bailey smith, jack martin, bloody hell, dont handbaggers have a salary cap down at Sleepy Hollow, something not right there, they have to be fiddling the books, paying cash under the table, like Judd had with Visy yrs ago, I smell a big rort down there. ! :o :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Presti35 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:14 pm RE: Smith/Cotton On, I thought this sort of thing was now banned after the Judd/Visy fiasco.

Im sure it was yes. This sounds like a rort to me, total rort, those cat pricks think they can get anyone, we got into big trouble few yrs ago, Grundy , Stevo. Treloar stuff, why cant those bastards be subject to investigation ?? :? :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
swooper
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by swooper »

Hawkins, Tuohy and Rohan retiring will free up some $
Also, I believe Geelong do not over pay their players
It still sucks if you ask me...
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 159 times

Re: Geelong, good list management or something else?

Post by Pies4shaw »

If that is really how Geelong works it, then we have to rethink our sponsors.