Welcome to Collingwood - Harry Perryman

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 175 times

Re: Trade Winds: Harry Perryman

Post by Presti35 »

Will they make a banner? Will they have some smart social media post? GWS should be premiers but handed the GF spots to the two teams competing.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

Bruce Gonsalves wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:15 am Don't pay the Perryman. Don't even fix a price.
Till he gets us to the other side.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

Kane's come out kicking on SEN ~ "They're paying him like he's an A-grade midfielder" ~ comparing his coming salary to Dangerfield and Merret, and basically saying he's a B-grader. Saying he'll want to do well or the other players in the group are gonna arc up because he gets more than they do. Acts as though this isn't the nature of free agency. Lot's of sour port grapes...Bet he wouldn't say boo if it was them that landed the Perryman.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

He'd better be good. :?
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

I too am surprised at the reported salary that Harry Perryman is getting for 6 years at Collingwood. I see him as a lesser player than John Noble. Hopefully I'm wrong and the Collingwood recruiters see something in him that I don't and he turns out to be a terrific player for Collingwood for a long time.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

@Boot
I think we really need to be careful with any Perryman / Noble comparisons. Noble is a decent player but he plays the game as either a HBF or winger. No shame in that but if there’s one position we have an abundance of at Collingwood, it’s HBF or wing.
It appears Perryman comes to Collingwood as an inside mid and that makes sense because we’re deficient in that area ( particularly from 2026 onwards )
I see it as an outcome where Noble is traded out for a draft pick and then readily replaced with any one of six ( ? ) possible alternatives ranging from one of our young blokes who had a great pre season, through to old campaigners and proven performers like WHE or Crisp.
While Perryman comes in at no trade cost and helps to complement a defecit in our midfield.

On balance, it’s currently OUT - Noble (reasonable player)
IN - Perryman (reasonable player) PLUS a pick in the twenties to improve our draft or trade hand significantly.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

His stats from 2021 indicate flanker more than inside mid. That year he averaged 421 mtrs gained. Noble this year averaged 368. I see him as a taller, more versatile version of Noble, similar tackle counts but Perryman is way more reliable defensively 1v1. Actually he's closer to WHE than Nobes.
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

^Sounds more like an upgrade on Markov.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

According H S - below are Perrymans mid field stats between R10 2022 - R10 2023
Played 81% of this period as midfielder.

Disposals average - 21 per game
Contested ball average -10 per game
Clearances average - 4 per game
Score involvements average - 4.4 per game
Tackles average - 6 per game

Two years on and forty odd more games later, there’s no reason to believe he can’t improve on those numbers in 2025. Anyone who can win the ball first and distribute to Nick or DeGoey will make us better.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

SLORT wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 3:14 pm That year he averaged 421 mtrs gained. Noble this year averaged 368. I see him as a taller, more versatile version of Noble,
Yep.

Perryman runs and links better than Noble by the limited video snippets I've seen.

I have always liked Noble, and he has continued to improve, but he doesn't go the extra yard to receive. Perryman seems to do that. I think Perryman may be the better footballer in the Crisp or WHE mould, they can be accomplished players in various roles.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

We've apparently promised him midfield time as a big bodied inside mid, something Noble can't do. I see him more like a younger Crisp, so he's an upgrade on Noble and we get a draft pick as well.

At GWS he played back this year as they had mids ahead of him. We don't. He should slot straight into our midfield changing half back with Crisp. Expect the first thing he'll be taught is not how to get the ball and distribute it but how to block for Naicos.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I wouldn't get too dewy-eyed about Noble. His disposal and decision making has always been suspect. Compare their clanger averages - I bet Perryman's is lower. Furthermore Noble is good at running with the ball and that's about it. His defensive skills against small and medium forwards has always been poor. While he has improved his offensive skills in 2023, those poor defensive skills did not improve. Noble does have outstanding commitment and drive to succeed and that is his great strength. We dont know what Perryman brings to the table in that regard yet.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

I'll say it again....he'd better be good. :?
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Gerry Cooper wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:04 pm We dont know what Perryman brings to the table in that regard yet.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=S&type=A
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Presti35 »

Some time ago, when talking about replacing over 30s, I recall talking about Perryman as a younger WHE-type player, but without the leap.

They are the same height, same weight, and heck, both were even high draft picks from GWS. I'd say Perry is a bit more defensive and gets more of the ball.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!