'Corn' and Collingwood (Kane Cornes)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

"Kane Cornes was concerned by comments made by Collingwood coach Craig McRae about his list-building philosophy. Speaking on SEN The Run Home, McRae said that he’s a coach who, ‘Wants to bring players in’, and that, ‘I don’t want picks, I want players’, particularly options that can make the side better straight away."

...Given that the 2024 AFL Draft is said to be stacked with talent, Cornes thinks that the club needs to bring McRae into line and continue hitting the draft instead of constantly prioritising established players.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/09/30/ ... -comments/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Presti35 »

It's just a quote. FWIW, I'd prefer established players that can help us win now whilst we have a capable list. But also being careful not to completely sell your future.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Big T »

Agree with the Corne. Getting Perryman is awesome as he’s an UFA but if we snag a first rounder through some kind of Noble deal we should take a player in the draft and we absolutely should keep next years first as well.
Buon Giorno
slangman
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

@Take_a_Screamer This is not a dig at you but I seriously don’t understand how or why people actually listen to or care about what Cornes has to say about anything.
FMD he would be far down the list of people who I’d go to for opinions and insights about anything.

I think Fly knows more about football so I’ll value his opinion.
- Side By Side -
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

^ free speech is available to us...for now
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
BEAMER09
Been liked: 15 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

^
Agree with McRae and forget what that Snot says. He should concentrate of Port Adelaide and their woes and not worry about Collingwood and it's list. We have young talent coming through and unless you finish bottom 5, there is no guarantee anyway they will succeed so why not go for a player who is tried and tested around 24-25 yrs old. Makes a lot of sense to me.
COLLINGW09D
slangman
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

Take_a_Screamer wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:46 pm ^ free speech is available to us...for now
Im not saying that Cornes isn’t permitted to express an opinion I am just bewildered as to why anyone would give it any credit or value.

Fly has shown in 3 years his knowledge and understanding of what is required to win at the highest level and has translated that in real life. Fly’s strategies getting questioned by someone of Cornes’ statue if absolutely f**ckin laughable!!

FWIW, i agree with Fly.
- Side By Side -
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

^
Cornes doesn't bother me nearly as much as he does for most, but I'd back Fly's nouse and logic over his, probably 99.9% of the time
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

I actually like Kane Cornes. Doesn't mean I agree with everything he says - but thats ok isnt it? I think his observations about our list and the need to rebuild are valid, and indeed expressed frequently by some on this forum. Clearly the coaching froup and management have a different view near term and given they are actually making the decisions thats the way we will go.

He doesn't trigger me in the slightest. He may be proven right, he may be proven wrong. Won't change my life one little bit.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
mattdally
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mattdally »

I actually think McRae's point about not wanting to hit the draft is more of an internal view that the people doing the selecting at the table have no idea.
History would agree with that. He doesn't trust them to make the right call.

At least with evidence, you can see what you are getting at AFL level.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

'Corn' and Collingwood (Kane Cornes)

Post by LaurieHolden »

Similar with Caro posts, the majority of discussion on Kane Cornes quickly deviates into personal views, and most I've read are blind rants, rarely unpicking the topic and opening a discussion.
I'm happy with Cornes in the way he cuts through supporter hubris in order to get back to brass tacks of an issue. He doesn't pull punches and tells it how it is.
If anything, it's refreshing that he's one of few that don't sit on the media fence. Sure, he has his misses, and his comments cut to the quick, but it gets discussions moving in order to get some considered responses once the emotional responses have been thrown from the cot.
If you watch any EPL or NRL commentary, it's no different. There's pretty robust debate from a 'balanced' panel, but there's always an antagonist of sorts.

Given he's going to be an AFL centerpiece for a decade and Ch7 duly recognised his profile, as Roger Voudouris sang "Get used to it, ''Cause I'll be around".
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:46 pm ^ free speech is available to us...for now
Totally agree about free speech and how precious a gift it is . . .

BUT . . .

Some people adore screaming out FIRE!!! in a dark and crowded theatre just to see the carnage - such people are the lowest of the low.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: 'Corn' and Collingwood (Kane Cornes)

Post by Mr Miyagi »

He’s not far off being a clickbait YouTuber and is a humongous hypocrite. Did his best to destroy Ginnivan’s career at Collingwood for ducking and over celebrating goals — now loves Ginnivan doing it at another club. Says it all.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Kane Toad Cornes, full of more horseshit than camel dung in the entire Siani desert. IF we get Perryman, and Ollie Lord, im more than satisfied, an perhaps Matt Kennedy ??
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 307 times

Post by Jezza »

I don't mind Kane. He can be a shit stirrer at times, but at least he'll take a position on an issue rather than sit on the fence and be a mouthpiece for the AFL and the clubs.

Hard to say who will be proven right from this current vantage point.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆