Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpie Russ
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by Magpie Russ »

Port want Lukosius
Gold Coast want Noble
Collingwood want Houston

There is synergy there.

Current Picks:
Port Adelaide: 36, 54
GC: 6, 12, 20, 26, 38, 46, 74
Collingwood: 33, 48, 51

The Suns want a first-rounder for Jack Lukosius, the Power want that and more for Dan Houston.

Gold Coast’s willingness to pay part of Jack Lukosius’ contract will likely impact trade negotiations with Port Adelaide.

Can we pay some of Noble contract (contracted till 2026) to offset GCs contribution? Using salary cap to improve our bargaining position to get Pick 12 instead of giving up our Future 1st, in this deal anyway.
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 164 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by Pies2016 »

Just a reminder, now that the silly season is almost upon us. Free agency starts Oct 4th through to Oct 11th. Although some players have already declared publicly where they are going, nothing can be lodged until the 4th at the earliest. It’s also from this date on, when those clubs who lose free agents, learn of their compensation from the AFL.
There is also a DELISTED free agency period that commences Oct 19th and runs for a month, designed to coincide with the launch of most clubs pre seasons.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Nothing before the 7th Monday for Collingwood as we won't do anything before the Copeland that is on the 4th on Friday
I am Da Man
Dave The Man
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Media all think Perryman will come to Collingwood but been nothing to Confirm it yet
<Mod edit. - @Dave The Man there's a thread on Perryman>
I am Da Man
Presti35
Has liked: 393 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Presti35 »

I wonder if Ash Johnson is of interest to Melbourne?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Newelly
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

Presti35 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:11 am I wonder if Ash Johnson is of interest to Melbourne?
What would draw The Dees interest in Johnson?
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 114 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I’m hearing Peatling’s management are still open for him leaving GWS
GWS increased it’s original offer and added a year but it’s well short of the offers coming out of Melbourne based clubs
There’s also the issue of his midfield minutes on offer at GWS against what’s on offer elsewhere
Our offer was 4 years with a trigger for a 5th season and about $200k a season more than GWS offer with some incentives also
Not sure how it stacks up against other clubs offers but ours in a strong offer in comparison to what GWS offered
warburton lad
Been liked: 59 times

Post by warburton lad »

I know money is important, but so is the surety of playing in front of a packed MCG stadium??

Hopefully Peatling, Perryman, Lord, Houston and whoever else we are keen on are attracted by that prospect??

Would love to see Peatling and Perryman added to the list.
As it stands, Lord and Houston might be 'Pie-in-the-sky' (so to speak) but who truly knows.

Whilst I would be keen for us to draft some key position talent, it looks like McCrae has a different strategy in mind.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Pies2016
Been liked: 164 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by Pies2016 »

I imagine at some point early in the trade period, we will end up with one only of the Suns pick 12 ( Noble + ?? ) OR pick 20 ( Noble as something close to a straight swap )
Either of those picks are significant in this draft. The club can then either trade on for a ready made quality footballer or take it to the draft in a strong pool of talent. Flys comments would have you believe we’d prefer to trade on but other than Houston, there’s no one who has publicly declared they are looking for a new home, who is worth departing with either of those picks ( the Lord talk has been driven by Collingwood supporters, not Lord )
Watch for the pick split where we trade in a “ needs “ player for either 12 or 20 and we then receive that player plus a later pick back in return ( maybe even a future, especially if we trade out our F1 )
In a draft where the “ experts “ are saying there’s more talent than usual in the thirties, it wouldn’t surprise if we load up with all our picks in the thirties and forties this year.
The good news is, if we don’t move on either 12 or 20, at least we will have something to get excited about on night one. This year pick 20 is set as the last pick of round one but will likely blow out to 24 or 25 on the night ( after bids and F A compensation )
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Port are insulted by Carlton’s offer of Owies and a draft pick for Houston. Could it be they don’t want Owies because they’re expecting to get our Joe Richards?
5:11pm
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by 5:11pm »

SLORT wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:27 pm I'm personally wondering whether we can find / make a Jake Waterman of our own. At only 191cm he reminds me of the heyday of full-forwards (Ablett 185cm, Brereton 186cm, Dunstall 188cm, Lockett 191cm, Carey 192cm, Lloyd 192cm).
It's so weird to me the fixation now for the 196cm+ forwards who are ultra mobile and athletic. Seems that most of them end up breaking down regularly and hate body contact.

I really do miss the days of the shorter, burly full forward with good leading and chest marking ability and straight kicking. So funny that we now get excited about forwards that can barely average 2 goals a game.
Was watching highlights of a Vic vs SA game with Brereton, Dunstall, and Lockett. Those were the days...
Reef.
Still only 21. Just needs consistent game time.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

196+ cm is about the adjusted height of you Ablett, Brereton, Dunstall equivalent these days.
Newelly
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:47 pm 196+ cm is about the adjusted height of you Ablett, Brereton, Dunstall equivalent these days.
The difference is that the height creates a greater degree of difficulty in maintaining goalkicking accuracy. Longer drop of the football from hand to foot. Hence why we see a greater number of snaps on goal from set shots.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
On the March
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by On the March »

SLORT wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:27 pm I really do miss the days of the shorter, burly full forward with good leading and chest marking ability and straight kicking. So funny that we now get excited about forwards that can barely average 2 goals a game.
Was watching highlights of a Vic vs SA game with Brereton, Dunstall, and Lockett. Those were the days...
With all due respect SLORT those were your days!

My days were McKenna, Hudson, Wade and others who kicked a 100 in the late 60's and 70's.

In fact all of Macca (143), Hudson (146) and Jezza (115) kicked the ton in 1970.
Peter McKenna followed this up with 146 in 1971 but still finished second to Hudson with 150!

Besides the above others I can recall around the time were Blethyn, Donahue and later Templeton and Roach.
Made for exciting times!

Barret gives some interesting interviews with some of these blokes on the AFL website well worth a look in my opinion - and sorry to hijack a trade discussion!

https://www.afl.com.au/search?term=cent ... type=VIDEO
Presti35
Has liked: 393 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Presti35 »

Newelly wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:33 amWhat would draw The Dees interest in Johnson?
Just thinking of their need for a FF, and that they've been linked to everyone, including Krueger.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!