Our veteran quandary

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 92 times

Re: BOTH Pendles and Sidey should retire.

Post by shawthing »

Both of them are going nowhere!

In any case you simply can't retire these two unbelievably great career performers without a sendoff game. That would be a disgrace.

We have very very few AFL records and personal achievements (no one in the team of the 20th century for instance - still can't get my head around that!). I want to get Pendlebury to the games record even if we have to nurse him to the line.

But more than that Sidebottom was massive last night and I don't know what game people were watching who think otherwise. Pendlebury is a coach on the ground.

Don't get seduced by a one off performance by a kid. We've seen it all before. Remember Braydon Sier?

Come back to me in 100 games to see whether Allan is a superstar or not.
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

shawthing wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:28 am But more than that Sidebottom was massive last night and I don't know what game people were watching who think otherwise. Pendlebury is a coach on the ground.

Don't get seduced by a one off performance by a kid. We've seen it all before. Remember Braydon Sier?
Mark McGough comes to mind.

And Sidey has already deeply committed himself to the tagging / run with role. Got his middle name changed to "Innes" recently.
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

I accept the premise of the OP, but all I would say is that the young gap between a 300 gamer who is slowing from a 2 gamer who has a couple flashes of brilliance is stark.

I hope the young guys come on and we have to find more game time for them, but they’ll find the going a little tougher when they’re playing in a game with any normal amount of pressure (last night was like an intraclub…)
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

piffdog wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:18 pm I accept the premise of the OP, but all I would say is that the young gap between a 300 gamer who is slowing from a 2 gamer who has a couple flashes of brilliance is stark.

I hope the young guys come on and we have to find more game time for them, but they’ll find the going a little tougher when they’re playing in a game with any normal amount of pressure (last night was like an intraclub…)
Good point piffdog. The lack of physicality was a major reason Lipinski played such a great game, as unfortunately, he tends to wilt under real pressure. I guess my main point is that both Sidey and Pendles' performance levels are declining significantly before our eyes. Sidey certainly has found a niche as a tagger, but I'm not sure we need a tagger most weeks. As for Pendles, he really only plays well in the midfield, and even then only every few weeks, and often goes missing for stretches during games.

It would hinder and risk the development of players like Allan and DeMattia, if they have to continue playing mainly VFL football in 2025.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

shawthing wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:28 am
Heaps fit this bill. Heath Shepherd, Tom Morrison, Terry Keays, Mark Orval, Gary Shaw, Derek Shaw, Stephen Clifford, Greg Whitcroft, Julian Rowe, Sean Rustling, Matthew Sharenberg, Jack Magden, John Anthony etc etc……………
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Presti35 »

1 more season for Sidey, 2 more for Pendles. Can't wait to see it.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Presti35 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:51 pm 1 more season for Sidey, 2 more for Pendles. Can't wait to see it.

THIS. Both still playing very good footy, Sidey is now a great annoying tagger, Pendles is the General on ground, our second Coach. Leave it up to Malthouse, who said last week, paraphrasing, " I dont care if a player is 25 or 33 yrs old, if hes playing good, reliable footy, contributes to the team, can lead onfield, and still worth their spot, I can see NO reason why they cannot continue to play on ". Well said MM ! :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

Let there be no ageism at Collingwood 🙄 Otherwise we will be accused of racism and ageism with sexism to follow by the hack media 😩
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

lazzadesilva wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:59 pm Let there be no ageism at Collingwood 🙄 Otherwise we will be accused of racism, ageism with sexism to follow by the hack media 😩
stoliboy
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

I don’t know if they should both retire but I love the discussion.

If I was to choose I would retire Sidebottom before Pendles. Having Pendles around our young kids would be fantastic for their development in a coaching sense.

But maybe Pendles could play less in the middle and more in some other role.

But am totally in favour of moving on a number of our older premiership players to give younger players more and faster development time.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Dad's army confirmed for 2025...

Third Collingwood veteran confirms future
  • Scott Pendlebury
  • Jeremy Howe, and now
  • Steele Sidebottom

https://www.zerohanger.com/third-collin ... re-154366/

Take note, we got Titch Mitchell
...but revitalised Hawthorn in top 4 for the finals!!! I rest my case.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

I agree with the premise of the OP; we clearly struggled at times this year because we were playing veterans who weren't at their best, and that problem is only going to intensify next year if we can't give the next crop of players a chance to develop at senior level.

Sidebottom I'm 50/50 on – I think there were times this season where he showed he still has a lot to contribute – but I can't see any sense in Pendlebury playing on beyond the opportunity to break records.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

I fully support the club deciding to play the veterans for another year. They can only have an extremely positive effect on the younger players. WI go against the grain and fully support the club’s position that with the currently injured players returning and a top up trade or two for gap filling players, Collingwood can be a flag contender next season in spite of the hack media jerks putting fantasy timelines on the flag clock period 🙄 as if they would know about internal workings of the club. I support the club in many facets, not only as a football fan and have full confidence in their ability to do what they can to win the flag next season. If any posters have reasons to believe that I’m wrong in my comments, please let me know why. I don’t think my confidence is misplaced but happy to receive comments that disagree with my opinion.
Last edited by lazzadesilva on Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dalyc
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Nope. If the kids are good enough they’ll force the seniors out. Until then we play the best team we have. That means Scott and Steele are in.

Loved Allen last night. Parker showing good signs too.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 307 times

Post by Jezza »

Pendles and Sidey will probably retire at the end of next year.

In an ideal world, they might have retired after the Premiership but they clearly remain motivated enough to keep playing and I think their form for the most part has warranted them being retained. If the youngsters come along and start forcing their way into the team, it will make the transition easier to phase them out.

If we're retaining veterans for 2025, then I think a Premiership isn't out of the question. Clearly that will be the aim from the powers to be.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆