Pre-Match. Magpies v. Demons. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

K
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

Paul Roos on Melbourne:
"They really are a talent-based team at the moment. That is the biggest thing that would be concerning Simon that whatever he is telling them to do they are not listening.
"They are relying on their talent and they have got enough talent to win games as we saw. Max Gawn destroyed St Kilda the week before.
"Jake Lever has been amazing as an intercept marker, but when you take that out, there is not a lot of substance and structure around what they are doing at the moment."

"At the moment they are so reliant on their best players playing well because the system that Simon is trying to teach them is falling apart."
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 113 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

We will need to make changes
As some has suggested in WHE McInnes and Krueger
Outs will depend on how we want to line up I guess

We need to lock down on Langdon (the one member of the Langdon family who’s actually a AFL standard footballer) he drives majority of there attack.
He isn’t a speed demon but dies have great burst speed.
There midfield has been battered from pillar to post recently so they’ll be looking for a much better performance
Gawn is playing on 1 leg. Watched him last weekend and he didn’t want any physical contact he just wanted to try and make a contest of it.
We need to bring our absolute best in terms of pressure and tackling

B. Maynard Moore Howe
HB. Noble Frampton IQ
C. Josh D Lipinski WHE
HF. Hill McInnes Harrison
F. McCreery Krueger Schulz
R. Cameron Nick D Crisp
Int. Sullivan Sidey Markov McRae
Sub. Dean or Allan

Use at FF and make May accountable.
Our HF have to press hard up and back to stretch Melbourne defence and there lack of leg speed
Put defence back to the way it was DONT touch it leave it alone
Mids need to hunt as a pack and pressure Melbourne at every stoppage

If we get McInnes Krueger and WHE back this week hopefully that’s enough to get us over the line
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

Love how Roos is coming in to bat for the coach he hand selected. Seriously, at the end of the day it’s the coach who wears it regardless of any other reason/excuse for performance.

I personally don’t think Goodwin is a great coach - but that’s just my opinion. And their list management… Imagine getting Grundy when what you should have been spending your dough on is a key forward. I was keen on us drafting van Rouen - but he’s not the answer and brown is done. Frotsch is a third forward at best (albeit a good one).

None of this means we’ll win of course.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
What'sinaname
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Reef and maybe WHE in
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies2016 wrote:^^^Q was trialled as a mid in the back half of his last year of U18s at Collingwoods request. He was a shadow of the player he was when he went into the midfield. He just sees the game in front of him so much better than the game around him.
People underestimate just how difficult it is to play midfield. Just because you’re on top of your game as a half forward of half back, doesn’t turn you into a competent midfielder overnight.
Agree absolutely. Leave IQ where he is. If you want him to be a midfielder, give him a preseason to practise.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

qldmagpie67 wrote:^
Agree with this team, and very happy that you did not call for Sidey to be omitted!!
SUB should be Dean in my view. Gives alot of option when/if he comes on (Allows Howe forward, or Frampton into a full rucking role, or even...Moore forward !!! ...)
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
David
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

I'm finally jumping on the Kreuger bandwagon: bring him in! If only just to see what he's capable of.

Otherwise will be good to see McInnes back in the forward line along with, hopefully, Hoskin-Elliott if he's good to go. Otherwise it feels like we have more players needing to be dropped than to come in; whoever survives out of Johnson, Bytel, Macrae and Parker will be pretty fortunate. (I'd keep Macrae personally.)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

For fun,
I picked the team for this week and left out players that I thought are not AFL standard.
Then I picked players from the 2010 premiership team to fill the gaps.
I came up with this. Of course, our spine is the problem.

B: B.Maynard, B.Frampton, J.Howe
HB: J.Noble, D.Moore, IQ
C: Jaicos, D.Swan, WHE
HF: B.Hill, T.Cloke, H.Harrison
F: B.McCreery, C. Dawes, L.Schultz
FOL: D.Cameron, J.Crisp, Naicos
INT: L.Sullivan, S.Sidebottom, P.Lipinski, R.McInnes, Dean(sub)

Would this hybrid team beat Melbourne?
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Piesnchess
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^ Yep, and beat the Swanettes too.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Kingston Lucas Tuck

Post by Kingston Lucas Tuck »

The Good , The Bad and the Ultra Ugly ….as long as they hold their marks, kick straight and never stop trying-the Magpie Selectors need to give them consideration .
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Kingston Lucas Tuck wrote:Pretty exciting times for us
Like the optimism KLT, Parker has shown some good bits for sure. Looking forward to Eyre gaining some game time. Harry D was good in his first VFL game but struggled the last 2. TJ looks very smooth.

FYI Carmichael is on an extended concussion break. I think it was since the Essendon VFL game at VIC Park. Been a while now
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
Kingston Lucas Tuck

Carmichael …Lion magpie ..I knew that the table tennis star had copped a head knock and was subject to assessment . What I hope will happen is that the young bloke pushes his way back in because he has an interesting mix of body power, strong run , decent ball reading and he gives that Sherrin one hell of a thump . Sadly he seems to have marked time even pre head knock .

One player who Needs to seriously lift is IQ
Has he become over muscled and slowed down as a direct consequence ?
Is “ fashion” ( braided locks…eye catching coloured boots ) now his priority ?
Whatever the cause the pack bursting runs and sure ball gathering are history …even his overhead work is less confident and his kicking is unpenetratively disappointing in that it invariably invites spoils .

One further move I want in Maynard in the Middle
Every kick would land close to the goalsquare
The Good , The Bad and the Ultra Ugly ….as long as they hold their marks, kick straight and never stop trying-the Magpie Selectors need to give them consideration .
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Welcome to Nicks KLT.

A couple of good posts there. I generally agree with your analyses, though I'm not sure about playing Howe up forward. He clearly plays his best footy in defence and as long as Frampton is also in defence, there'd be no need to play Dean. That would make us stronger.

Up forward we'd be significantly better with the inclusion of Freddy Krueger, McInnes and (possibly/hopefully) WHE.

Like you, I've always liked Carmichael, but clearly our coaches view him differently. Given our depleted midfield stocks, I'd prefer him to Macrae, but I guess we'll have to see what Fly decides.

Fwiw, I can't see Maynard used as a midfielder. Like you, I've always thought he had all the attributes of a powerful and dynamic midfielder, but when thrown in there he has never had much of an impact. I prefer to leave all our best defenders in defence.
Kingston Lucas Tuck

Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Just a reminder, Carmichael has been battling the after effects of concussion for close to a month. He hasn’t even entered the protocols yet. To listen to Wade, it sounds like he may also be out for a while to come
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “