#12 Joshua Carmichael

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

slangman wrote:Not sure why Carmichael has not been given some games time this year.
We need to keep the list fresh by resting/rotating players through so that come finals time, we have a squad of 30 players who have had senior team exposure.

I take your point but have always disagreed with this line of thinking. I’m on the side of picking the best available team (including the horses for courses method) to match up on the opposition and give Collingwood the best chance of winning the game. I think too much mucking around with team selection can lead to us flirting with form, team structure and cohesion. Leave the team to replacing injured, ill, suspended or unavailable players only. Winning form can be lost very quickly otherwise. Take nothing for granted.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

slangman wrote:Not sure why Carmichael has not been given some games time this year.
We need to keep the list fresh by resting/rotating players through so that come finals time, we have a squad of 30 players who have had senior team exposure.
At the same time why muck around with a winning formula? Carmichael is good but imo not in our 22 at this time. Needs to iron out some flaws.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

The simple answer is that Carmichael is just one of several players who have missed out on senior games due to the great form of our senior team. Others include Allen, Macrae, Harrison and Ryan. The recruitment of several experienced players in Mitchell, Hill, McStay and Frampton have also restricted the opportunities for others. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first year I can remember where we have not blooded a single brand new player after 8 rounds.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Carmichael to sign on

Post by inxs88 »

Glad he like Fin Macrae and Reef McInnes are keen to stay on at the Pies with Josh Gabelich reporting this morning that Josh looks like re-committing to a new contract. Succession planning is so important as we phase out 10 over 30's players over the next three seasons and despite some on Nicks bemoaning Carmichael's bona fides, he has yet to get 8-10 games on the ball without interruption.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Unfortunately, the fact is he’s nowhere near as good as some on here believe he is…if he was he’d be playing, simple.

The coaches and selection committee aren’t mugs…they’re all seasoned professionals with years of experience…they see him every day and can analyse his game 1000% better than any of us from out here. They know if a player has it or he doesn't.

Truth is he’s simply just not good enough to get a game or cement a spot in our best 22.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

Maybe so, but the contract extension would seem to suggest the club doesn’t see him that way at all, and that he’s in our future plans.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
npalm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

Said by Zed wrote: The coaches and selection committee aren’t mugs…they’re all seasoned professionals with years of experience…they see him every day and can analyse his game 1000% better than any of us from out here. They know if a player has it or he doesn't.

Truth is he’s simply just not good enough to get a game or cement a spot in our best 22.
And yet the same people (coaches etc.) have decided he's worth keeping on the list.
He's not best 22. He's possibly not even best 30. But he's on minimum wage and he's a backup midfielder in case we have a bad run of injuries next year.
Side by side.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Until he has been given 10-12 games in the mid-field at Senior level, we shall never know his total upside.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

^ ^ ^
Who knows might be capable of the 10 - 20% improvement needed to be best 22…truly hope so. More likely however will stay on the list to field a competitive side in the ressies.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Collingwood midfielder reportedly sustains concussion, joins Carlton defender on sidelines
Josh Carmichael suffered his second concussion in three months, (joining a concussed Blue on the sidelines) as the AFL ponders limiting clubs' contact training sessions to reduce the risk of head injuries.

https://www.zerohanger.com/collingwood- ... es-146424/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Take_a_Screamer

Josh Carmichael's new jumper number 12 puts him in good company:
Twiggy Dunne, Denis Banks, Luke Ball

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2 ... s-unveiled
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime ... gwood.html
Ash Johnson...you beauty
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

Would he be a chance to fill a spot in AFL side. ??
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Take_a_Screamer

He's been low key indeed since his concussion.
I'd like to know as well how he's travelling...
Ash Johnson...you beauty