Sydney claims more fans than Collingwood...

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Sydney claims more fans than Collingwood...

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

'I genuinely believe it': Sydney Swans president claims his club has 'more fans than Collingwood'
https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2024- ... a6700df6b3

Burn:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

Are they still giving away memberships in Weet-Bix boxes up there?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Born to Pie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Born to Pie »

Remember John Holmes?

Sydney's claim is similar, we're just not showing you!
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

John was packing and he showed it, just ask Linda Lovelace.

The Sydney President is just being a typical Sydney wanker, talking shit.

Shit city with the highest proportion of dickheads per population in the country, possible challenger would be Finley. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

stui magpie wrote:^

John was packing and he showed it, just ask Linda Lovelace.

The Sydney President is just being a typical Sydney wanker, talking shit.

Shit city with the highest proportion of dickheads per population in the country, possible challenger would be Finley. :wink:
Oi! One of my best mates comes from Finley
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

The claim is correct - Sydney is full of sportsfans who go "Yay", albeit in a farily halfhearted way, when Sydney beats a Melbourne team. Similar to the way many of us go "Yay', albeit in a fairly halfhearted way, when the Storm beat a Sydney NRL team.

Those halfhearted "Yays" are how you know that Sydney in the AFL and the Storm in the NRL are the two most heavily-supported teams in any sport in the history of the Universe.
MagpieWhisperer35
Been liked: 3 times

Post by MagpieWhisperer35 »

I lived in Perth for 18 years unfortunately and have to say I feel it has the most morons per capita by far, more inbreds than the royal family and more pricks than anywhere in the known universe, but I feel ya, Sydney can go jump too
Go Pies
Culprit
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

They do have a lot of sports fans and in saying that their culture has them sitting in clubs and not at games. Their clubs are huge and one I frequent when I am up there is Tradies in the Shire, Cronulla Sharks and it's always going off. Melbourne's fans go to events, not clubs. I will add the young in Sydney are turning their culture on its head if you look at horse racing. When I head to the SCG for Footy it's like more of an event, music, etc and as a Victorian, I couldn't care about that I am there for the footy. Each to their own.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

Pies4shaw wrote:The claim is correct - Sydney is full of sportsfans who go "Yay", albeit in a farily halfhearted way, when Sydney beats a Melbourne team. Similar to the way many of us go "Yay', albeit in a fairly halfhearted way, when the Storm beat a Sydney NRL team.

Those halfhearted "Yays" are how you know that Sydney in the AFL and the Storm in the NRL are the two most heavily-supported teams in any sport in the history of the Universe.
Correct weight. Or, per The Princess Bride: "You keep using that word, 'fan'. I do not think it means what you think it means."
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

David wrote:Are they still giving away memberships in Weet-Bix boxes up there?
Mate don't be silly please.

We all know they stack family memberships in Cornflake boxes, along with their drivers licences....
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by Jezza »

Pridham is clearly basing this off the Roy Morgan surveys which consistently have Sydney as the "most supported" club in the league, with us in 2nd spot.

However ask any Sydneysider who they follow in the AFL, and they'll probably say "Sydney" without having ever attended a match or being able to name a single player in the team.

The clear metrics to rely upon are membership figures and average attendances. Collingwood is ranked #1 in both metrics.

https://twitter.com/footyindustryAU/sta ... 08/photo/1
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Ha Ha, sydney can claim whatever they like.
Just like Papley can wear sunglasses, get his inane face plastered over the internet while gloating about a mark that should never have been paid.
They are seriously a pathetic team whose only chance at glory rests on choking the SCG and cashing in on their parochial home ground advantage. Kind of like a B grade Brisbane.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Assuming nearly everybody living in Sydney, and the surrrounds, barracks for the swans, he may well have a point. Just saying.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Uncle Jack

Post by Uncle Jack »

i'd take quality over quantity any day.

With that said, an average home crowd of 63,723 puts Collingwood in the top 10 clubs worldwide
Last edited by Uncle Jack on Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.