Pre-Match. Pies v. Giants. All comments.

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Round Zero Team Predictions

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

inxs88 wrote:Okay, the fluff games are out of the way. Let's look ahead to round zero (isn't than an annoying innovation). Here is mine:
I like your team. That'll do me!
Every line looks stacked with talent
Now over to you Fly :)
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

They've got Hogan, we've got Shultz and Le Beau. While Le Beau is feeding Shultz, Hogan will be locked in solitary.
Pies by 17.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Wouldn’t surprise to see W H E start as a back six defender against the Giants ( especially if there’s no rush on Howe ) W H E was good when required in that position towards the end of last season and played the practice game as a general defender against the Tigers. He was very good against Tigers and his clean ball handling stood out against the masses that fumbled. At some stage, we all need to recognise this blokes versatility and no fuss approach to the game. I don’t see him out of our best 22 anytime soon.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^that's a good observation Pies2016, while he mightn't be a 20+ disposal accumulator, he rarely makes mistakes that result in turnovers. Perhaps one of the more reliable role players we have on the list.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

^^

I love him. So understated and under rated.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

Watching the made up, confected orange team last night makes me a little nervous about our first game. They have some very, very good players... I think we may still have them covered in terms of game plan and cohesion, but player for player, there is a lot of talent on that list. Mind you, we have some great players too.

We wont have the benefit of getting them in a rebuilding phase with a new coach like we earlier did last year. Going to be a good match.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

At this stage 1 week away ill select this line up round zip v gws:

FB: Dean Moore Noble
CB: Maynard Frampton IQ
C: Josh Daicos Nick Daicos Siddy
CF: Shultz Cox Hill
FF: McRae Miocheck Lipinski
R: Cameron JDG Mitchell
INT: Pendles Crisp McInness Marcov
Sub: WHE

Its only rpound zip but already im finding it harder and harder to select.

Its time that McRae actually played AFL game and i think it time for Fin.
Dean to cover for Murphy i still will hold back Murphy for now so he can get himself finally right so ill hold him back for the next 2 weeks.
Still not selecting Howe as i feel he too needs time to get over his leg issues and besides he hasnt had much match practice.
Ill give the nod to Reef just ahead of Johnson at this stage it a real toss of a coin but ill go for Reef.
Lipinski to play namely as forward.
Got the old wing duo of Josh daicos and Side back.
Josh playing along side Nick in the guts.
Got the old on ball combo of JDG and mitchell back they have got a great understanding of each others game.
Pendles back great to see.
I have not selected McCreery i feel he is a tad out of form.
Cox and Checkers as the tall forwards.
The rest is self explanatory.
Pies to win this by ill say 20 points in a hard fought win.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Is it just me, or do others get the feeling that neither Johnson or McInnis have done enough to get a senior game in the opening round? Seriously, they should have been smashing the door down to get a spot in our forward line. Instead, they each done OK, but nothing special - that I have seen at least.

Given that, I would be inclined to rely on Checkers and Cox/Cameron as our KPFs, surrounded by a fleet of classy 'smalls' in Elliott, Schultz, Hill, McCreery and Lipinski.
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

Yep I thought the same, Ash can mark but shit he cant find the goals! I thought McInnes offered a tad more,
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

^Not sure we can base our assessment of AJ on just the performance in the practice game. Darcy Moore gave an interview to SEN in which he spoke very highly of AJ's preseason, and expressed his conviction that AJ is ready to step up into Dan McStay's role.
The development of AJ this year is going to be of huge importance, and this is his real chance. I am looking forward to see what he can do.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Don’t know about you guys but I will be mighty pissed off if my man Noble doesn’t get picked for the opening round. Enough is enough stuffing around this guy’s footy career
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

We all love him - whether he gets picked is about whether he is in the best team we can field for that opposition on that day or not.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Pies4shaw wrote:We all love him - whether he gets picked is about whether he is in the best team we can field for that opposition on that day or not.
Yeah fair enough comment but the team selection is debatable sometimes and opinions as always differ. I thought that he was a back 6 senior defender and I still do. It will interesting to see if the club agrees when the team is chosen.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Agree on Noble love the guy.
His work rate is amazing.
Just in and under and a real asset down back.
Can also play as mid.
Very trusty player.
I would say a Noble player.

As with Reef and AJ they need time.
Both arent up to it just yet.

Love to some how see that African player TJ get the nod for GWS and play as a forward type player.