Maynard incident > Maynard rule > Brayshaw retirement

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think Maynard will get when it’s all over?

Two or more weeks and season done
16%
One week – misses the PF but back for the grand final
10%
Nothing – he’ll get off, either by not being cited or on appeal
74%

Total votes: 96

think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by think better »

Quite devastating for Brayshaw - never good for anyone to be out of the game for this sort of reason.

I hope Maynard does not internalise this and blame himself. I'm sure it would play on his mind
I think therefore I think - I think
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^ I'd expect Jacqui Louder would be all over this Jo. We're fortunate to have her at the Club.
It couldn't be easy for him. Even from the outset to how his apology was received.
From what we've all read to date, to her involvement on game days, she appears to be one of the key people that have resulted in the reshaping of our Club on and off the field.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

Holy moly they showed Brayshaw history with other opponents making contact with his head
No carry on about them just Bruz. It’s a risk of contact sport
Finish the.bleating please
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
scoobydoo
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by scoobydoo »

It’s always sad when a player must retire early due to injury, but Brayshaw has been one ‘slight knock’ from retirement for years. He played a fast full contact sport. The percentages were always against him.
The positives outweigh the negatives, played over 100 games & won a premiership.
Good luck to him in the future.
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

LaurieHolden wrote:^ I'd expect Jacqui Louder would be all over this Jo. We're fortunate to have her at the Club.
It couldn't be easy for him. Even from the outset to how his apology was received.
From what we've all read to date, to her involvement on game days, she appears to be one of the key people that have resulted in the reshaping of our Club on and off the field.
100%
I was talking to Jacqui 2 weeks ago actually, we had a brilliant chat! The atmosphere at the club is second to none right now, and Jacqui will be all over this.
She was in the tent at the practice match too.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

BazBoy wrote:Holy moly they showed Brayshaw history with other opponents making contact with his head

No carry on about them just Bruz. It’s a risk of contact sport

Finish the.bleating please
where did you see this? id be interested to see it.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I suspect Murphy will soon hang up his boots too. It's a contact sport for sure, but some players, for whatever reason - be it the fragility of their heads, their lack of awareness, their reckless bravery, or a combination of these factors - are more prone to concussion injuries. It also seems that each concussion makes another concussion far more likely.
slangman
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

RudeBoy wrote:I suspect Murphy will soon hang up his boots too. It's a contact sport for sure, but some players, for whatever reason - be it the fragility of their heads, their lack of awareness, their reckless bravery, or a combination of these factors - are more prone to concussion injuries. It also seems that each concussion makes another concussion far more likely.
If Murphy retires then it will be ALL because of the hit to his head by Lincoln McCarthy.
It will have nothing to do with any of his previous concussions.
- Side By Side -
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

slangman wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:I suspect Murphy will soon hang up his boots too. It's a contact sport for sure, but some players, for whatever reason - be it the fragility of their heads, their lack of awareness, their reckless bravery, or a combination of these factors - are more prone to concussion injuries. It also seems that each concussion makes another concussion far more likely.
If Murphy retires then it will be ALL because of the hit to his head by Lincoln McCarthy.
It will have nothing to do with any of his previous concussions.
Maybe not, I thought he had been back in full training but copped a knock in match practice which has seemed to knock all the confidence out of him.
I'd expect him to pull the pin shortly, because 1 more knock will cruel him.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

I reckon SPP will be getting 4 weeks for his efforts. What a week to decide to test the tribunal.
One thing is certain the AFL will make clear, if it wasn't already, the bump and contact to the head is out.
2023 AFL Premiers
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

I see somewhere “thug” ends Brayshaws career. That’s slander for mine
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

BazBoy wrote:I see somewhere “thug” ends Brayshaws career. That’s slander for mine
Baz, suggest you avoid the dog-whistling of individual social media posts. It adds nothing to the discussion.
2023 AFL Premiers
K
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

think positive wrote:
BazBoy wrote:Holy moly they showed Brayshaw history with other opponents making contact with his head
where did you see this? id be interested to see it.
Only thing I've seen so far is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=dAsj08VSJW4

(Head clash with Koby Stevens, 2017).
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Only taken Carowhine 1 week to pot Maynard and by extension Collingwood.
According to her Maynard is responsible for the medical retirement of Brayshaw.
In reality it was merely the last in a long line of concussions for him.
According to her Maynard shouldn't have made the visit to the Brayshaw home in the days following the incident.
In reality it took great courage for Maynard to turn up in person to offer an apology for what unfolded accidentally.
According to her Maynard is an example of a player that should have been sent off if that rule was to be introduced.
In reality he was cleared by the tribunal.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Let’s not give it any credence. Maynard accidentally hurt the guy taking a courageous decision to try to smother a kick in a Final. Unfortunate for the fellow he landed on - but such is life.