Supplemental Selection Period - how it works & invitees

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Looks like the club is going to wait until the deadline of the 19th (bitter end) before announcing a decision.

FWIW the last bloke invited to train in Sullivan looks to have jumped to the front of the queue to be signed.
Well I hope that's true as it appears he's already very unlucky not to be on an AFL list due to his VFL performances and going by the comment on bigfooty the other day from someone who knows him he appears to be a driven individual and one who has risen to the next level every time he's been afforded that opportunity.
I hope we give him his first one on an AFL list and he and we can make the 17 other clubs rue not doing the same.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^ Sullivan looks like he is capable and at a push cover Mitchell in any absence, if and when required. On viewing all of the training sessions to date, perhaps the only one I'd consider.

Teakle just looked like a lumbering big man, but without the mongrel, I don't see the appeal.
Eyre looked like a depth player at best. Tidy enough so speculative pick given his soft tissue concerns.
Sofronidis competitive but hardly banging the door down to claim a spot.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

FL star Lachie Sullivan has secured a list spot with reigning premiers Collingwood.

With three list spots available at the Magpies, Sullivan has been selected via the Pre-Season Supplementary Selection Period (SSP).

Eyre and Bytel are considered strong hopefuls for the remaining list spots if the Pies add more players before the SSP period ends. - SEN Radio
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Josh Eyre, Jack Bytel & Lachie Sullivan have landed rookie spots at @CollingwoodFC. Tom Browne.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

robevpau1 wrote:Josh Eyre, Jack Bytel & Lachie Sullivan have landed rookie spots at @CollingwoodFC. Tom Browne.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1076431/?fb ... 114J6RdQyI
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by think better »

Seems like good picks with a lot of faith that Eyre can have a full recovery
I think therefore I think - I think
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

We took Eyre as a spare?
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

Great news. Sounds like we've chosen well.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by warburton lad »

This is great news for these three lads.

Sullivan is a great 'insurance' for our inside-mids ranks (Mitchell and Macrae obviously one and two there).

Eyre had put in a stellar pre-season and, yep, there will be some disquiet around his hamstring issues, but I have absolute faith in our medicos in his case. I view Eyre as a project-player who is still very young but has many tools in his kit- not the least of which is his lethal left boot and a potential to play both ends when he fills out, physically.

Bytel is somewhat of a surprise to me at least. He has had experience at the level and shown glimpses of talent. What he does have in spades is his running capacity which is elite. At 189cms and 88kgs he is a very solid unit and could be a real asset on the wing (Sidebottom cannot go on forever).

If a call is made on McStay by mid-year that he won't be playing in 2024, it leaves us one spot on the list for the mid year draft. It would be awesome if the club reached out to Jack Riewoldt to fill a gap in the ranks for September.

All in all, it has been a hell of a day for three young men whose AFL dream is alive and kicking this evening.

Floreat Pica
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Culprit
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

Picking up Jack Riewoldt isn't as silly as it sounds. I can't see it happening but anything is possible.
Newelly
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

warburton lad wrote:^
We have an issue though if Cox and Cameron are both injured a little way into the season and we have to rely on Frampton yet again as Eyre wont be back until at least May. Unless there are other options ready to step up?
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Sam Sofronidis is now trialling with Essendon
https://www.zerohanger.com/bombers-repo ... ut-147537/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

This is typical tit for tat from Essenscum. We take Eyre, they take Sofronidis. Hope we win the rewards of the risk and get the better player
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by Jezza »

Congrats to all three lads on being added to the club's list.
Starting to build some depth which is good to see.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆