2024 Player / Team Improvement Wishlist

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

It would be terrific if Billy Frampton emerged as a solid and reliable key defender for us this year. It would relieve a lot of pressure off Moore, allowing him to play to his strengths as a roving intercept marking defender.
The Average Tourist

Post by The Average Tourist »

I wonder is Begg tall enough at 198cm to be a ruckman?
But he is tall enough to be a key defender?
He is reasonable below his knees I am not sure about his pace!
Bucks you just reckon he can still cut it in the middle
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

^
Love to see the club be bold and play him as that "2008 winger Richo style" and see how he goes. Athletically, does he have the tank? Hope so. Could be real wild card. Bit like that Irish player for the Hawks Connor Nash at 197cm plays that similar role.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

Pies4shaw wrote:The question begs to be asked at this time every season: is this finally the year we realise Sidebottom can't make it in the big time and trade him to Essendon for a 5th-round pick?
For once you might be right
no second chances
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

RudeBoy wrote:It would be terrific if Billy Frampton emerged as a solid and reliable key defender for us this year. It would relieve a lot of pressure off Moore, allowing him to play to his strengths as a roving intercept marking defender.
He had a purple patch in early 2022 with the Crows where he took 10+ marks and had 20+ possessions but couldn't sustain it. The GF proved that he doesn't have the craft, nuance and guile required to be a forward.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

I’ve been running this across my thoughts on who will step up and the like
From our 22 for most of last year we loose two. Adams & McStay (I’ve not included Ginny as he featured little last yr in 22 and Adams spend more time as a fwd (not a mid)
So the faith Fly has on Fin -well is he ready to be a twenty two,er so the boys waiting to be a permanent twenty two,er will be interesting
I’d have Fin & Reefe as my emerger,s
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Ginnivan played 14 games last year which, without looking, I’m guessing might squeeze him into our best 22 for games played, given the injuries we had at times
However 5 of them were as sub so you’re probably right
Carry on
memoryofmchale

Post by memoryofmchale »

The problem with Begg is that he's too bulky to move quickly on the wing. His best skill is tackling, which suits neither a KPP nor a ruckman. In the ruck throughout the VFL season last year, he was regularly thumped and as a defender, I'm not sure. Richmond was an anomaly.

I feel that if Teakle is signed, the days of Begg are numbered.
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by Jezza »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:Ginnivan played 14 games last year which, without looking, I’m guessing might squeeze him into our best 22 for games played, given the injuries we had at times

However 5 of them were as sub so you’re probably right

Carry on
Ginnivan was 25th for most games played (14) in 2023.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
SLORT
Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 145 times

Now the list is finalised, best 22 (and sub)?

Post by SLORT »

2024 looks like a very tough team for younger players to break in to. Hard to see how Macrae, Noble, Kreuger, McInnes, etc., nail down a spot outside of the inevitable injuries.
Who is in your starting 22 (and sub), and reasons why (if you're choosing from "left field")?
gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

A lot depends on how the season goes. If we are losing lots of games, then you need to try something different, and that is where you change things up, and give others a chance.
No need to rush injured players back in, e.g. Josh D, Murphy .. use that as a chance to try others
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: Now the list is finalised, best 22 (and sub)?

Post by Magpietothemax »

SLORT wrote:2024 looks like a very tough team for younger players to break in to. Hard to see how Macrae, Noble, Kreuger, McInnes, etc., nail down a spot outside of the inevitable injuries.
Who is in your starting 22 (and sub), and reasons why (if you're choosing from "left field")?
According to David King, Finn McCrae is a lock in for Round 1 (given his observations of recent IntraClub).
I think McInnes now has his best chance ever to become a regular in the first 22 given the injury to Dan McStay. I would place him as a strong contendor for starting 22 against GWS.
Likewise McCrae I believe is highly likely to be selected for Round 1. His form in the Intraclub was brilliant.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
5:11pm
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by 5:11pm »

memoryofmchale wrote:The problem with Begg is that he's too bulky to move quickly on the wing. His best skill is tackling, which suits neither a KPP nor a ruckman. In the ruck throughout the VFL season last year, he was regularly thumped and as a defender, I'm not sure. Richmond was an anomaly.

I feel that if Teakle is signed, the days of Begg are numbered.
Begg just turned 21. The kids got potential and just needs a clean run at it without injuries. Not uncommon for young tall’s his age. Still worth a list spot.