The four pillars of the Magpies’ new midfield.

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

LaurieHolden wrote:One thing I'd like to see Macrae pick up where Taylor Adams left off with is tackling.
Tackle averages per game of these 6 are as follows ~

Mitchell 6.04 ;
Adams 5.10 ;
Pendlegoat 4.75 ;
Crisp 4.24 ;
JDG 2.94 ;
Naicos 2.94.

Macrae had 8 in his one appearance against Essendon in Round24. Not bad as the Sub.

Only the great Rupert 'the wombat' Wills betters that with 11 against WCE R19 in 2016. He leads this group on tackle average per game with 6.65.

One thing that I see firmly as part of this teams DNA is pressure. Tackles bring pressure and cause turnover; we score from turnovers.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp- ... lay-macrae

Tackle averages this year in seniors: ON Target!!!!!! :)
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

RudeBoy wrote:If Fin Macrae and Ed Allan can step up and play some regular senior footy for us next season, we will have a fantastic midfield with serious depth.
Rudey, it'll be interesting how the bring him through. I suspect on the HFF to get him used to the pace of senior football, much like when we blooded Pendles before he moved to a permanent midfield role.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

I'm seriously loving the depth through the middle now, with enough youngsters learning their trade in the magoos.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

Despite the gap that might have opened up for Fin Macrae following Taylor Adams departure, Beau McCreery to me looms as the one to again keep Fin Macrae from regular attendances in the midfield in 2024.
It's a good thing to have Macrae, McCreery and Allan vying for starting positions come 2026.

Undoubtedly, McCreery's output as a HFF needs to elevate to remain there. Less than a goal a game, irrespective of his pressure acts won't turn him into a 200 game player.
He reminds me very much of Dane Swan entering the 2006 season and I don't think I'm alone in drawing comparison between the two over their first 4 years at the Club.

Allan then needs to take the opportunity to secure any vacancy on the HFF. I'm sure the coaching staff have made him well aware where they see his role developing over the coming seasons.
Securing a HFF spot proves harder with McInnes and Johnson seemingly vying for the same position and with McStay to return, somethings going to give. I believe Johnson with his pure X factor will win out, just a question of whether he has the maturity above the shoulders to grasp the opportunity.
So where might that leave McInnes? A midfield role that he was slated for during his tenure through the academy. Covid coupled with injury has delayed his evolution more than most.

All going well, a core midfield by the end of 2025 of JDG, McCreery, Allan, Naicos looms as more potent than JDG, Macrae, Mitchell, Naicos.

I suspect our midfield depth going into 2026, will be a mix of JDG, McCreery, Allan, Naicos, Macrae and McInnes.
And that's before we find out what evolves through the coming draft and trade periods.
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I’ve still got the jury out on McInnes as a midfielder but come 2026, I would certainly be adding DeMattia into the midfield mix. He came to us as a natural midfielder with a great work ethic and appetite to improve, so three pre seasons should have him cherry ripe to play his part between the arcs.
They’ve certainly planned for a midfield transition with Allan and DeMattia as their first picks in the last two N D’s, so I would expect both would be given every opportunity over the next year or two.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

^ I suspect you'll be right on DeMattia. I reserved that call until I see his form in the VFL this year.
DeMattia is blessed with speed and if he has some of that agility you referred to in the TJ discussion, we might just have one we can get excited by come the start of the 2026 season.

One thing we're going to have will be plenty of speed. It seems a clear directive the list managers have sought to bring in, speed and agility.

McInnes it's one where I hope I'm right about his stifled development years. Maybe someone a bit closer to the Club might shed some light on any conversations around this.

Macrae reminds me of many that simply lacked a distinguishable x-factor to stake a regular claim. Admittedly he looked out of position when he came up from the 2nds where he was playing midfield and then stuck onto a HFF where he looked lost.
He needs to escalate that tackle count to be a real presence through the middle.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2023 AFL Premiers
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

TBH, it's more hope than expectation, that I have regarding the midfield prospects of Mcrae, Allan and Reef. They all have a lot of promise, but as yet, have not delivered at senior level. McCreery, on the other hand, made an immediate impact as a pressure forward, and can be expected to begin a transition to the midfield from this season.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

if we want to be brutal about it, then no one is safe, and no matter how well someone is playing, there is always the potential to see if someone else can do even better.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

if we are sooo good, how do we rate in the midfield compared to other teams?
Maybe wait for the season to start to answer that one.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Excellent points.
If a player was to raise his hand a la Nick Daicos, there would be no discussion. As it is, the rest are excellent prospects, good footballers, with some great athletic ability, but have not blossomed yet consistently against the best.