Supplemental Selection Period - how it works & invitees

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Rick wrote:Is anyone aware when the SSP period ends and lists need to be finalised?
Any players selected need to have paperwork lodged by Feb 19th. All clubs final lists would be locked in very shortly after that date.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Magpie Greatness

Who Will We Pick Up In The SSP? (17 days before the deadline)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuHJEbs6cxA&t=4s

SSP latest: The AFL clubs with list spots and the players in the mix to be signed

Collingwood has been the busiest club so far this SSP, having six players train for three list spots and potentially join the reigning premiers.

Ex-AFL listed pair Jack Bytel and Brynn Teakle are training in the black and white in the hope of landing lifelines after being delisted by St Kilda and Port Adelaide, respectively, this off-season. Teakle can be used across all three lines of the field, having earned his chance with Port Adelaide after a dominant period with WAFL club East Fremantle as a ruck-forward. Bytel firms as a name who could add some depth to Craig McRae's midfield unit after the loss of Taylor Adams during the recent trade period, with VFL captain Campbell Hustwaite and Footscray star Lachie Sullivan pushing for a similar role. The 2022 Mid-Season Draft selection was trialled as a defender for Port Adelaide in the SANFL last year prior to his delisting.

Former Essendon-listed swingman Joshua Eyre has been utilised as a defender during his time with Collingwood and has impressed with his ability in the air and by foot, with the 21-year-old pushing for his own second chance after falling short at St Kilda via a training chance 12 months ago at Moorabbin.

Local footballer Sam Sofronidis is another who could add to the Magpies' backline options, with the athletic defender linking up with Collingwood after a strong year in the WAFA with Collegians.

The Magpies are planning to keep a list spot free for the Mid-Season Draft and could do so while filling their trio of open list spots, with forward Dan McStay's ACL injury an avenue the club could take to make a fourth position vacant.

https://www.zerohanger.com/ssp-latest-t ... ix-146804/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Had a chat to Lachie Sullivan after training last Friday.

He went to the same primary school and played junior footy with the 26 year old. I was the team manager for quite a few seasons.

He is really enjoying the opportunity to train at Collingwood, said it was a great club (even though he was a Saints supporter growing up :D ). Big step up from part time VFL training but he is loving being able to focus full time on footy rather than juggling with work commitments (he is a qualified electrician).

Everyone has been very welcoming and supportive. Lachie was a year below Jordy DeGoey at St Kevs and played 2 years of APS footy with him.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

My reliable source says there still isn't a consensus on which players to take and no decisions have been made. They are all still in the mix.
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

From what I've read, Eyre appears to be a certainty. Then one or two should be chosen from Bytel, Sullivan and Sofranidis.

It might depend on whether Collingwood wants to retain a pick for the mid-season draft. Also, does McStay's long-term injury open up another spot?
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

^^ yes this article below fancies Eyre, we're 1 week away from selections.
"I think Josh Eyre is in the box seat to get the spot," AFL.com.au reporter Josh Gabelich... AFL clubs have until February 15 to have SSP talent training in their program, with the signing deadline to come four days later.

Former Essendon forward favourite to land AFL lifeline among Collingwood SSP hopefuls
https://www.zerohanger.com/former-essen ... ls-147202/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

Harrysz wrote:From what I've read, Eyre appears to be a certainty. Then one or two should be chosen from Bytel, Sullivan and Sofranidis.

It might depend on whether Collingwood wants to retain a pick for the mid-season draft.
Given another spot could always open up during the season (in the case of a long-term injury, for instance), I don't see why we wouldn't take three players now. That way we get a whole season out of them rather than half for the next best player down the track.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
themonk

Post by themonk »

Harrysz wrote:From what I've read, Eyre appears to be a certainty. Then one or two should be chosen from Bytel, Sullivan and Sofranidis.

It might depend on whether Collingwood wants to retain a pick for the mid-season draft. Also, does McStay's long-term injury open up another spot?
It seems player & club are optimistic on early return, maybe finals?
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

Does anyone know if a SSP spot has to be included in the cap? Also, presume if you get picked up under SSP you are a VFL player essentially until picked for the one's right?
I am sure money isnt an issue for us - so maybe we can afford to take three?
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

AFL.com.au's Josh Gabelich expects the Magpies to fill two vacant list spots ahead of the SSP deadline on February 19, with Eyre and Sullivan among the standout contenders so far.

"I think Josh Eyre is in the box seat to get the spot," Gabelich said on the AFL Daily podcast on Tuesday. "He was part of the program last year in the VFL. Lachie Sullivan dominated in match practice last Friday.
"It's a really healthy competition and I think it's going to go down to the wire.
"I don't think they're going to use all three spots. I think they'll keep a spot open for the Mid-Season Draft."
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Big step from big fish in a small pond to the professional league. Congrats to Sullivan for brushing off my initial scepticism and putting himself into serious contention

My thoughts :
Eyre - 100%
Sullivan 90 % - I think he offers genuine depth as a hard in and under nut.
Sofronidis 70% - Genuine versatility, able to play on smaller and taller opponents, run and carry and clean disposal/distributor… a good backup in the Markov mould. Not A grader, but a handy guy to have on the list. And still more time to develop around genuine AFL players.
Bytel, Hustwaite - I see them as handy players,. but easiy covered by our current list. Not required.
Teakle - Hasn't impressed me, just a tall. Gets his hands on the ball sometimes because he is tall. He can play footy, reasonable disposal, but not in our league.

I really like Sofranidis, and I can see he and Sullivan providing value on our list… and Eyre has put his hand up. I'd go 3 selections.
Rex

Post by Rex »

I agree with oneeye that we’ll take three. If we don’t have a long term injury by mid year it’s hard to see why we’d want a MSD. If we’re top 4 at that stage we’ve got pick 15-19 and would have to be extraordinarily lucky to get the choice of a player to fill whatever hole had emerged.
Eyre and Sullivan appear obvious choices.
We’ve got enough ruck and mid depth, so maybe Sofranidis because of flexibility even though he’s not good enough yet. Time in the VFL against bigger, better players than he met in the amateurs will help.
Culprit
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

I’ve heard Eyre has done a hammy. Anyone confirm?
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by think better »

Culprit wrote:I’ve heard Eyre has done a hammy. Anyone confirm?
Jen on Big Footy has video of it - seems a legitimate concern
I think therefore I think - I think