Jack Crisp vs Jordan DeGoey debate

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 113 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Both different players and both absolute champions
Crisp has likely been the best trade I can remember in AFL history (considering we received the draft pick we then used on JDG)
Both play vastly different games so comparing them is hard
JDG is a pure match winner and brilliant
Crisp is a hard working 2 way runner who’s skills have improved dramatically
His durability is unbelievable considering his workload
I’m so glad they both wear the black and white
Mossi
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Mossi »

RudeBoy wrote:I dislike comparing players. They are both fabulous players and we are lucky to have them both.
I'm with you Rudeboy, that flag would't be ours without the year contribution from both no one excluded
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Comparisons are always difficult. One came from a draft, one from a trade. To get any player past 100 games from either has been a feat in itself.
Don't really see it as a debate, but a tribute to how both players have carved out their careers to date.
In horse racing parlance, I see JDG as a Group 1 sprinter and Crisp as a Group 1 stayer.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

It’s funny you go back 18 months and many Collingwood ‘supporters’ on this very site wanted to get rid of JDG…
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Name ‘em Eddie dude! They thought they were right at the time obviously. I’m more interested in what they based on rather than anything else.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
eddiesmith
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

It was the Bali controversy and they decided he wasn’t worth the effort and had convicted him before any evidence. Probably the same people who convicted him for the New York incident as well.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

eddiesmith wrote:It’s funny you go back 18 months and many Collingwood ‘supporters’ on this very site wanted to get rid of JDG…
Yep, and with some justification at the time.

He kept putting himself in risky situations and showed the Club no obvious understanding of the issue.

If you review the recent interview, he will pretty much confirm that himself.
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

RudeBoy wrote:They are both fabulous players and we are lucky to have them both.
And save for Beams deciding to move to Brisbane late 2014, we never would have got either of them.

Sliding doors moment, to go down in history....

Thanks Bears; the architects of their own demise. Bless them.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
K
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

^ But then he decided to move back...

Sheesh, Eddie was out of control last few years as pres.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Nah it was not about Eddie but about how some fans like me wanted him back at the club. Unlike all the self proclaimed futuristic experts here who thought that it was a terrible idea, I was excited at having him back at the club but with his former abilities and form, not what he ended up being.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
piffdog
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

Great topic for a rainy day pub discussion (like today...). Different types of players, more so in personality perhaps than output - although I dont know either of them personally so there's that caveat.

Jordy 54 career brownlow votes, and nothign of note in any Copeland voting. Crisp only 34 brownlow votes but 2 B&Fs.

I know many will pot the brownlow as a measurement (thats fine), but maybe Jordy catches the attention more, but Crisp is more consstent? The horse racing analogy works well.

The most obvious difference is continuity. If Jordy could put together a 21-22 game season, I think he would likely be int he running for more awards.

As others have said - you need both of these types of players.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
K
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

lazzadesilva wrote:Nah it was not about Eddie but about how some fans like me wanted him back at the club. Unlike all the self proclaimed futuristic experts here who thought that it was a terrible idea, I was excited at having him back at the club but with his former abilities and form, not what he ended up being.
In the thread at the time, a lotta folks here wanted the Pies to walk away when the cost of the trade became clear.