Grand Final # 8 - 1979

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Grand Final # 8 - 1979

Post by Harrysz »

Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

I omitted to mention that Peter Moore won the Brownlow medal in 1979. Whilst not directly relevant to the 1979 Grand Final, we don't win many Brownlows. Since then we've had Nathan Buckley in 2003 (shared with two others) and Dane Swan in 2011. Peter Moore's win was important and it should have been included in my summary.
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

Peter Moore was a generational player and his dominance as a mobile ruckman carried the Tommy Hafey led Magpies into the grand finals of 1979, 1980 and 1981 until his untimely departure at the end of 1982 to Melbourne where he won another Brownlow medal.
I think Moore was the most exciting footballer to pull on the Collingwood I have seen debut until Nick Daicos, but whilst Nick Daicos has been remarkable in his almost instant development into an elite midfielder, the excitement of seeing Peter Moore dominate as a mobile ruckman taking pack marks all over the ground then bounding away from his opposition ruckman was right up there with the mercurial Phil Carman's brief few years at Collingwood in terms of sustained brilliance on the footy ground.
Unfortunately for Peter Moore and Collingwood, those grand final teams just lacked the overall class and luck to win any of those Grand Finals, but he has had the satisfaction of seeing his son Darcy Moore lead the Mighty Pies to this years Premiership. Pity Peter didn't have a couple of other son's!!
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Boot talks about luck. I'm reminded of what Tommy Hafey once said after we lost a game to Hawthorn at Vic Park by a couple of points. Leigh Matthews had put Hawthorn in front with a couple of minutes to go. The ball bounced towards Collingwood's goal at the Social Club end of the ground. Ray Shaw lead in the race to the ball and was about to pick it up and kick a goal. A Hawthorn defender in desperation pushed him square in the middle of the back. No free kick! The siren went and Hawthorn won.

The next day on World of Sport coach Tommy Hafey was asked whether he thought it unlucky that Ray Shaw wasn't paid that free kick. I have never forgotten Tommy's response - "We should never have been in a position where an unlucky umpiring decision could make a difference!" Tommy was not one to make excuses. Well, he did blame Phil Carman for us losing the 1977 Premiership but Carman not playing in the Grand Final had nothing to do with luck.
Quincy
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Quincy »

Boot wrote:Peter Moore was a generational player and his dominance as a mobile ruckman carried the Tommy Hafey led Magpies into the grand finals of 1979, 1980 and 1981 until his untimely departure at the end of 1982 to Melbourne where he won another Brownlow medal.
I think Moore was the most exciting footballer to pull on the Collingwood I have seen debut until Nick Daicos, but whilst Nick Daicos has been remarkable in his almost instant development into an elite midfielder, the excitement of seeing Peter Moore dominate as a mobile ruckman taking pack marks all over the ground then bounding away from his opposition ruckman was right up there with the mercurial Phil Carman's brief few years at Collingwood in terms of sustained brilliance on the footy ground.
Unfortunately for Peter Moore and Collingwood, those grand final teams just lacked the overall class and luck to win any of those Grand Finals, but he has had the satisfaction of seeing his son Darcy Moore lead the Mighty Pies to this years Premiership. Pity Peter didn't have a couple of other son's!!
Yes Peter was probably the first super mobile ruckman and he was also a very good mark who could dominate at full forward. I was at that game as a youngster and recall the turning point maybe being a soft free kick in the second quarter which allowed them to kick their first goal which also coincided with the sun coming out which seemed to lift Carlton who were the fancied team to win.

BTW Peter had three daughters before Darcy arrived and then he called it quits in the breeding stakes.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by warburton lad »

The key to this loss occurred in the second quarter.

Russell Ohlsen was a former Blue who was playing the game of his life for the Magpies- he had gathered 17 kicks and one handball by midway through the second quarter when Trevor Keogh broke his jaw.

Although not a big name player, Ohlsen's dominance in the wet (his forte) had Collingwood in what should have been a match-winning position.

Prior to the 1979 season, Kevin Bartlett was in dispute with Richmond and had met with Collingwood with a view to transferring to the Pies. Would KB have made the difference against the Blues in such a narrow loss??
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Russell Ohslen had a poor Preliminary Final and must have been close to being dropped but Tommy went with him. Yes he played a great game but Trevor Keogh punched him in the head during the second quarter and he was concussed. Ohlsen fainted in the rooms at half time. To his credit he played a good last quarter. Keogh got weeks for his hit but I'm sure he thought it was worth it. Obviously there were no concussion protocols at that time.

Regarding KB, my recollection is that he was available before the 1980 season rather than before the 1979 season but I may be wrong. Anyway, Tommy Hafey and Kevin Bartlett were best friends and there was no way that Tommy would want to have his best friend playing for Collingwood.