Thinking ahead to 2023 draft...

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Campbell Hustwaite is set to join the AFL program for the pre-Christmas training block after another impressive VFL campaign in black and white. Justin Leppitsch is understood to be a keen fan of the Victorian who led the Magpies' reserves for a third season in 2023.

Delisted Port Adelaide ruckman Brynn Teakle and @CollingwoodVFL captain Campbell Hustwaite have been invited to train with @CollingwoodFC. Ex-Saint Jack Bytel also set to trial for rookie spot during SSP, alongside Sam Sofronidis @AFLcomau

VAFA star Sam Sofronidis is set to audition for a spot on the rookie list at Collingwood. Underwent medical at the AIA Centre this morning. Expected to start training on Monday when SSP opens @AFLcomau

Collingwood will train away from Olympic Park across the first block of the pre-season due to resurfacing works, with the group set to start on Gosch's Paddock before spending most of the next month training at Victoria Park.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Wonder what FlyWrightHine and co are thinking here.

Mature age KPP not a bad idea and Teakle could help offset the situation we had in early 2023 when Cameron, McStay and Cox went down and Frampton played sole ruck. Wonder where this would place Begg, Steene and Frampton in the order and if their positions and roles would change?

First I thought they didn’t invite Eyre and Kelly as they’ve seen enough of them in the VFL already but then that wouldn’t explain Hustwaite’s invitation. Very happy for Campbell to get the offer but a shame Lachlan Tardrew didn’t get this far.

What I’m left trying to work out though is how fast these 4 players are to fit into the way we play?
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
Rick
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Rick »

Campbell is running a pathways program for u14’s to u19’s at his junior club Rosebud, this preseason to increase junior players readiness for senior football.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

I like what you did there Rick. And great effort from Hustwaite too
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

When we do finally get to look back at this draft, we will be in a position to add some substance to the return on investment for picks #25 and pick 37 in this draft pool. I was thinking as to what would be a fair measurement to rate the success or not of these two in the years to follow.

0 AFL games in total from both combined after 3 years ( because they won’t be there any longer if that’s the case ) is an obvious bust.
50 games + combined after 4 years but neither in best 23 at that stage is probably the minimum expectation of a return on investment.
Anything better than the above, including one or more of those picks in that then best 23 would be considered a ( very ) successful draft return.

Others may have different measurements or expectations but picking 100+ game players with pick 25 or worse aint easy. It will be interesting to eventually see just how well our talent identification team performed over those couple nights.
Hitchhiker

Post by Hitchhiker »

That's a fair assessment, although I do consider the club might take a calculated gamble with later picks to try and unearth a star.

Picking Bianco is probably a safe selection to get someone who should at least offer depth but picking Arlo Draper is probably a riskier approach with a potentially greater payoff.

As an outside observer, I find drafting fascinating. In 2014 Jack Steele, Touk Miller and Maynard were picked between picks 24 to 30, did they really not like look stars as juniors? Crisp was pick 40 in a rookie draft!

I think we might worry too much about drafting and not enough about development. Someone posted recently about why some clubs always seems to make poor draft selections. I'd argue that maybe they don't, maybe their culture and development methods arent up to it

So, in conclusion, I have no idea, I'd love another Maynard but would settle for a Nathan Murphy
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

The SSP is coming-who are we giving a trial

Post by BazBoy »

Last year we gave a bloke a trial and now Oleg wears a premiership medal

See a list of players allowing to train with a chance to join us
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right