Collingwood send clear-cut message after double draft coup

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^ ^

L H, you got in minutes before me. At some point “ we “ need to acknowledge talent spotters know a hell of a lot more than we ever will and yet in truth, after all the hours put into these guys, they will still it get wrong occasionally. Even then, you can still identify a true talent but can never anticipate what challenges they may face under the spotlight of being a high profile AFL draftee. Clubs spend hundreds of hours on background checks, social and character profiles, as well as pouring over footage and watching these kids live.
I get that it’s all a bit of fun putting names forward and waxing lyrical on various missed opportunities but we need to remind ourselves checking out any kid from a two minute highlight reel is no guide to a players potential ( they are called “ highlight “ reels for a reason ) These days players are judged equally by what they do when they aren’t in the contest versus when they are.
With our first pick at 25, I would be happy with anyone who turns out to be a best 23 player for the next several years and that’s whether he’s 180cm or 200cm.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Pies2016 wrote: With our first pick at 25, I would be happy with anyone who turns out to be a best 23 player for the next several years and that’s whether he’s 180cm or 200cm.
In the business of risk vs. reward, it will never be a perfect science but a system of giving a perceived talented player the chance to shine and demonstrate his ability to play at the highest level. As with any situation, we need to have realistic expectations of the player succeeding at AFL level.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

I think the message of "if you can't run you can't play" is meant mostly for those that don't bring something unique to the team in the beginning of being recruited to the club. If you are on the outskirts of the best 23 then you need to at least have speed and/or endurance to have a chance to play seniors unless you bring a 1-wood like clearance ability, elusiveness & smarts, marking & intercepting, tap work, goal kicking, disposal skills etc. If you don't have a 1-wood then you have to have running capability as a minimum. Not every player in our team is a speed machine or endurance athlete but everyone has a 1-wood that gives team balance.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^ reflecting on that MM, perhaps why Adams found himself on the outer, when Mitchell / coaching panel edged him out of what he saw as an established role and couldn't evolve?
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Think such grandiose statements from Hine don't serve us great. If applied retrospectively, we wouldn't have had steele, Mitchell, Pendles or Jaicos in our GF team. Understand footy has evolved and love the idea of a fast team, but the one size fits all mantra doesn't always apply.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Born to Pie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Born to Pie »

inxs88 wrote:Think such grandiose statements from Hine don't serve us great. If applied retrospectively, we wouldn't have had steele, Mitchell, Pendles or Jaicos in our GF team. Understand footy has evolved and love the idea of a fast team, but the one size fits all mantra doesn't always apply.
I think we need to understand that his comment wasn't "run fast", it was, "if they can't run" and I believe that's about being prepared to do the two way gut running. We've obviously brought in speed over the last 2 years but certainly those you have listed are two way gut runners along with the likes of Lipinski, WHE, Crisp and even Mihocek.

That's my take on the comment anyway.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away