Dear Josh Daicos

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

I'm not reading too much into it but understand where you're coming from.
He's a young man, and as young men, you compare things to what you know and see at the time.
I simply think he was blown away at scale of 'the show' that is the EPL and what came out perhaps isn't a direct reflection of where his head is at.
We often hear cricketers or players in the commentary box saying they'd love to be playing now with the contracts on offer, Test, ODI, IPL etc.
Imagine you Rudey if you toured Anfield and met Klopp and some of the players!

I can often recall my father or one of his mates giving me an alternative perspective to whatever was my verbal thoughts were at the time on any number of subjects. I'm doing the same with my nephew. Some of it sticks, some straight through to the keeper, but we all mature over time.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Dragme
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Dragme »

The AFL is hellbent on spending large amounts of cash in strategically trying to grow the game in new markets, pay their top end execs, invest marketing dollars in feel good messaging and the list goes on.

This money could have been better utilised keep the costs of attendance down and pay the players more.

I see nothing wrong with the players working towards better pay and conditions. They are the entertainment and most of them have short careers.
Born, Live and Die a Magpie
Woods

Post by Woods »

My take out from the media coverage is that Josh might be toying with the idea of a change in codes at some point later in his career. And the coverage might be an early ‘limited hangout’ that seeds the rationale for him later moving to the round ball game - maybe initially within the local completion here in Oz, with the hope of a move to the big money overseas.

Ball skills, whether learned or inherited, are transferable and there are many Aussie Rules players that are very good at other games - cricket, tennis, golf, basketball etc (just ask Mason Cox or Pendles).

As for the heartfelt thrust of Rudeboy’s OP, I can’t have any real issue with it. And I thank him for the honest and thoughtful way he put into words something that surely all of us feel. When the money, marketing and malarkey that overwhelms and overshadows the AFL is swept away, it is refreshing in this victorious off-season to be reminded of what the real story of Collingwood was, and still can be.

(going a bit off-topic)

And it made me reflect on this video of the late Gerry Marsden singing You’ll Never Be Alone to Liverpool FC’s faithful back in 1994. It was the last time this song rang out over the old Kop at the teams Anfield home ground before seating was constructed over it. (The Kop, as many of you know, was the outer or terrace named after a hill in South Africa where many scouser soldiers died in the Boer War). For generations the working class men women and children of the club have huddled on the Kop in freezing conditions to support their team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL2L8arqsqc

I’m not a soccer tragic at all, but the sheer humanity and belief embodied in this multi-encore performance by Gerry in choir with the club faithful reaches beyond code and country. It says in sound and vision something that is implored by Rudeboy in the OP (IMO anyway).

Floreat pica
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

Let’s hope this is the biggest scandal of the summer.
Dispatches from a foreign land
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by shawthing »

Dragme wrote: I see nothing wrong with the players working towards better pay and conditions. They are the entertainment and most of them have short careers.
I don't disagree with any of that either. Wasn't Gillon McLaughlin on about $5 million pa with bonuses?
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Pete 70 wrote:Let’s hope this is the biggest scandal of the summer.
This was a scandal?
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

I think Josh might need reminding that it was not too long ago that his career as an AFL player was not even certain. He may very well have ended up on the scrap heap a few years ago. He should be thankful for what he has, not bitter for what he doesn't. I'm sure his family will get that inflated noggin back down to size and screwed back on straight quick smart.

Players need to understand that AFL is only played in Australia, it is not a global sport and therefore it does not attract global money. We operate as a sport within our means. The vast majority of the money that exists in the game comes from local broadcast agreements and club memberships. There are no wealthy AFL competitions & clubs in the UK, Spain, France, Italy or the US throwing hundreds of millions of dollars around. AFL players perhaps deserve a bigger slice of the pie we have but they have to keep it real and in scope from a global perspective.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

I love lindor balls.

That doesn’t mean I don’t love Cadbury.

Seriously, this is ridiculous! Get a grip people, he didn’t realise the idiot media are hanging on his every word waiting for a juicy bit they can twist in to something else.

Josh, if you’re crazy enough to read this, please, we are not all stupid, most of us get what you meant, and realise you were not slagging off Collingwood!

HaveYou guys watched the series Beckham? Or weirdly enough, housewives of Cheshire! Ifyou want to see how crazy the money is thrown around in soccer, check it out!

And still, does it compare to Tom Brady?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

Plumbers on the Gold Coast are the lowest paid in the country.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Yes but perfect weather and …… no truth to the rumours?!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Reality check Josh - just remember the Collingwood netball team and basketcase Netball Australia when you think about players only ever wanting more
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Bucks5 »

Well according to Josh it was a joke that was taken out of context.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/josh-dai ... c-12687388
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
think positive

Post by think positive »

Ange was amazing, it was an absolute honour to be able to go over there and meet him.

“It was really disappointing that I think the joke I made got taken out of context. I should’ve probably read the room better.

“Those who know me know how grateful I am to be in the position I am.

“And that trip was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, one that I’ll always remember and it’s sad to see the narrative be changed.”

And then he goes on to talk about his first seasons struggles

Both Josh and his brother are pure class.

I honestly cannot believe the comments here from some, thus us not Facebook, this is Collingwood, gees we have all seen them in action on and off the field. Pure. Class.
BenBronx
Been liked: 1 time

Post by BenBronx »

“They were telling me that when they are training, and obviously it’s quite cold when they play, they have heaters for the ground to make sure the ground is not frosted.

“And that costs I think $A20,000, so £10,000, just to put it on for the day. And I think they had it on for 40 days straight last year. So we don’t get that sort of treatment.”

Headlines claimed Daicos was complaining about player wages and he faced a backlash from fans and talkback radio hosts.