Since when did our colours change to Rainbow?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

bally12

Since when did our colours change to Rainbow?

Post by bally12 »

Look, I'm all for accepting and respecting people of all persuastions as long as they are not causing any harm or imposing their values or will on other people.
Our club's colours are black and white, not rainbow colors. Why do we have the rainbow colours on our masthead on the Collingwood website? We as a club are not represented by, neither do we represent any LGBTQ minority groups in exclusivity. It makes no sense to have a minority group's logo featured on our website. Instead our philosophy should plainly be that we are accepting of all spectrums of society, and we don't discriminate in any way, be it racial, sexual, or anything else.
At our core we are a football club, but we have a large reach, and the opportunity to extend our influence in society in positive ways. I get that. I just don't think we need to virtual signal on social issues that relate to particular sections of the community, in a disproportionate way.
We are Collingwood. We are open to everyone. We are black and white.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I'm perfectly happy for the club to make that small gesture to demonstrate support for a long bullied, oppressed and excluded section of society.

After our long history of exclusion, its a genuine sign of wanting to change.

Doesn't trigger me at all...
KenH

Post by KenH »

I agree with WPW it is a small gesture, the rainbow colours I believe means we are accepting of all spectrums of society so Bally12 I can't see any problems with that?
Cheers big ears
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:I'm perfectly happy for the club to make that small gesture to demonstrate support for a long bullied, oppressed and excluded section of society.

After our long history of exclusion, its a genuine sign of wanting to change.

Doesn't trigger me at all...
They are not bullied, oppressed and excluded section of society any more in Australia.
Maybe we should put the Palestine flag and the myriad of other genuine contenders throughout the world up there as well.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

masoncox wrote:They are not bullied, oppressed and excluded section of society any more in Australia.
If only it was so - tried raising a queer teenager?
KenH

Post by KenH »

masoncox wrote:They are not bullied, oppressed and excluded section of society any more in Australia.
If this was the case why has there been no gay men come out in the AFL competition? You are truly kidding yourself if you believe that!
Cheers big ears
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

I fully believe that there are currently gay men playing in the AFL. Some are completely hidden, some are known within the club and even to some of the journos. The reason none have come out yet isn't, in my opinion, because they fear being persecuted but rather than none want the media circus and all the attention and pressure that would come with it.

It won't be too long before some kid is drafted through the system who is already openly gay and it won't be a thing.

FWIW, I have no problem with the rainbow bit on the club website. It's just a bit of recognition.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

I thought it was the Nashos ribbon.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Re: Since when did our colours change to Rainbow?

Post by think positive »

I had a look, What do the other colours represent? I have no problem with including a rainbow stripe somewhere, but that just weird. No explanation for what it all represents.

I don’t care who is or isn’t gay, straight, black or white, gees it’s getting tiresome having to prove it all the time.

Bullying and intimidation is shit, end of story, but while everyone keeps accepting personal insults as acceptable jokes, what do you expect? Nobody knows where the line is….because there shouldn’t be one. Just don’t.

“I’m only joking”. Ugh
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Culprit
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

We always need reminding that there is a section of our community that struggles with indifference and totally lacks any level of empathy. The rainbow is here to stay and I hope it totally annoys those who struggle with it.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
If only it was so - tried raising a queer teenager?

AND, why is it so that Gay players have come out openly in the AFLW, a number of them, yet not ONE , sadly, in the AFL ?? Only reason is, as ackermanis said few yrs ago, cos of all the media shit, hype, spin, theyd cop ad the awful remarks from over the fence, by some bigoted nasty fans, thus the AFL is not ready for it yet, or cannot handle it. I have NO issue with the rainbow colours at all, if it can lead to oneday, AFL players being Gay, and open about it, and n ot cop narrow minded crap from fans. :? :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

There are a lot of problems in the world......this ain't one of them.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Unfortunately, for a whole set of reasons, we seem to approach this as a sort of of clash culture.

1000 pages is not enough to extrapolate on this.

I know as a club we should not be about politics, but we are about community.

I just wish to simply say...
Just this afternoon I attended my Nephews wedding, it was a Gay wedding. How wonderful it was to see them happy,
I noted the concentration of 'different' 'people in one place, great it was to see them happy in a safe place mingling with straight' friends and family.

Woke, or Cancel or Acronyms aside... we are left will a real part of life that many of our loved ones need to skirt around.

To open the door with such a small sign which says we are understanding, you are welcome and safe .. I think a small but meaningful gesture to embrace a shunned part of our community.
bucking awesome
Been liked: 1 time

Post by bucking awesome »

Well said Charlie
Painful frustrating disappointing exhilarating and unbelievably awesome. - That's a Collingwood life through and through
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

You might be a kid, I guess, but grown adults don't take offence at other people being acknowledged for their unique experience. There's room for us all.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm