Collingwood send clear-cut message after double draft coup

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

^ so what you’re really saying is “we should have taken these other guys” and by extension”our recruiters got it wrong on draft night”… You may be right, but I don’t know what point it serves - perhaps other than to give you a tombstone in 5 years back if one of them wins a Brownlow to be able to say “I told you we should have taken x, y, x!!

I also at times look at players in the draft and think to myself gee he looks better than the guys we got - but I haven’t spent the last 12+ months scouring the country for the next best talent and then sat down with the coaching group and cross referenced that with game style etc.

I know the comp keeps moving forward, but we just won a flag with our current approach to trading and drafting.

You’re entitled to your view of course, but to balance the ledger I’m happy to at least wait until some of these draftees start playing before we critique the coulda, shoulda, woulda decisions..
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

The 2022 National Draft crop if (a) we got it right & (b) if the 2022 crop were given the best to take them to eventual AFL still has to play out
There is always a gem that is just too good and jumps the queue

Twelve months from now we will know the full story
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Said by Zed wrote: Don’t mean to be a negative Nelly but with regard to potential list gap fillers we could have picked up instead.
You are merely speculating here mate. And with respect, I would consider the club's detailed research and analysis better information than yours. I think that following a flag win based on brilliant recruiting, I would be highly confident that we would have taken the best players available at our picks.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I've never recovered from Collingwood wasting pick 5 on Pendlebury and then backing it up by wasting pick 11 in the 2008 draft on a small, slow, outside player who was never going to do anything in the seniors. Whatever happened to those guys?
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

Of all the draftees selected are our two closer to early selection to play AFL than the rest ?? ??
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Pies4shaw wrote:I've never recovered from Collingwood wasting pick 5 on Pendlebury and then backing it up by wasting pick 11 in the 2008 draft on a small, slow, outside player who was never going to do anything in the seniors. Whatever happened to those guys?
Well he did kick 10 in the TAC final before he got drafted.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

shawthing wrote:
Yep. Two things came to mind immediately after this draft.

1. Almost all the kids drafted went to private schools (that's because state schools have absolutely dropped the ball when it comes to sport).
Gotta call this out ShawThing, this is simply another of many consequences of the Federal government ripping funding away from public schools to subsidise private education, sports coaching and the quality thereof are often first on the list for cost cutting imposed by unreasonable budgets
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

It probably doesn't matter who we pick with picks 27 and 36, since - statistically-speaking - they're not likely to be much use. Hopefully, the Club got the choices correct and have backed the right horses - but it isn't a science and most guys taken in most drafts turn out to be spuds. Equally, some guys taken after your picks turn out to be better players than the players you took - but it's mostly just luck.

It's a little bit like playing Texas Holdem - you evaluate what's in your hand and bet accordingly (or not). You always know that the "AA" holding in some othe player's hand is probably going to beat your Q3 non-suited - but you roll the dice with the Q3 and - just occasionally - it turns into two pair or a full-house and beats the "AA". That doesn't, of course, mean that the player with the "AA" made a worse bet than you - it just means you "lucked out". That, in a nutshell, sums up the AFL draft - a complete guessing game, unravelled years later by people who come along with perfect knowledge and "know" that Hawthorn should have recruited Pendlebury instead of Ellis.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
That’s generally true but some clubs continue to do it better than others. How else could you explain clubs like Carlton and Essendon being inept for so long, despite drawing better draft hands than most for the last 20 years.
It’s a bit like Phil Ivey or Daniel Negreanu playing at the same table as Joe Hasham in the World Series of Poker. You just know the longer it goes, which stacks are likely to grow and which one will diminish.
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
shawthing wrote:

1. Almost all the kids drafted went to private schools (that's because state schools have absolutely dropped the ball when it comes to sport).
Gotta call this out ShawThing, this is simply another of many consequences of the Federal government ripping funding away from public schools to subsidise private education, sports coaching and the quality thereof are often first on the list for cost cutting imposed by unreasonable budgets
Well maybe there is more to life than sport?
Get back on top.
Horatio Fin
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Horatio Fin »

Cam wrote:Well maybe there is more to life than sport?
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

^
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
shawthing wrote:

That’s kinda correct. Put simply, any kid who shows shows serious footy talent as a 13 / 14 year olds will be offered sports scholarships to go to those private schools closest. In the old days, it used to be considered a hinderance to these young blokes development because the schools would take ownership of them and not allow them to play in the underage AFL pathways.
It’s different now and so much better because the AFL also underpins a percentage of the private school football programs. The trade off is that those private school players must also play a certain number of games through the AFL pathways. The spin offs are huge for these kids. Imagine playing for the Dragons or Chargers one week and then being coached by Mathew Lloyd the next week at Hailbury college. It’s one of the reasons kids have started coming through better prepared and developed more than ever. They get the best of both worlds from the best.
Sam Walsh was a recent notable big name exception to that modern day model. He was offered a scholarship at Geelong grammar and turned it down. Didn’t seem to hinder his development in any way.