Collingwood send clear-cut message after double draft coup

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Kingsofclutch

Collingwood send clear-cut message after double draft coup

Post by Kingsofclutch »

AFL Draft:
Collingwood send clear-cut message after their double draft coup:

“If players can’t run in our system, they can’t play.”

Collingwood's recruitment strategy has become clear-cut ahead of its premiership defence: If you can't run, you can't play.

The Magpies swooped on two dashing teenagers with their pair of National Draft selections, taking Harry DeMattia on the opening night of the count before returning to the order with the acquisition of Hawthorn NGA talent Tew Jiath.

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-draft-co ... up-145851/

The Speed Machine is taking shape.
Flagpies
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Yep, which was always gonna make it hard for someone like Bianco...had the right attitude and skill set, but lacked the critical yard of pace, poor kid
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Sometimes excellent evasive skills like what Pendles has can used to cover a lack of pace. I guess he didn’t have enough of this to convince McRae.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

the message can't be too 'clear cut' given that we tried to pick someone else, who was an inside mid first
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

gurugeoff wrote:the message can't be too 'clear cut' given that we tried to pick someone else, who was an inside mid first
He may cover the ground well for an inside mid, see Tommy Mitchell.
Flagpies
Culprit
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

I suggest every team sent a message about the quality of the draft this year. The amount of teams passing was laughable. In my view, the draft needs an overhaul as academy players and father-and-son selections are out of control. I'd go further and say they shouldn't even be in the draft as every one of the players gets to where they intended to go.
Rick
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Rick »

Culprit wrote:I suggest every team sent a message about the quality of the draft this year. The amount of teams passing was laughable. In my view, the draft needs an overhaul as academy players and father-and-son selections are out of control. I'd go further and say they shouldn't even be in the draft as every one of the players gets to where they intended to go.
Completely agree. It took far too long considering how few selections were made as well
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

If you can’t run you can’t play. Tell that to Glen Maxwell hitting his double century on no legs a few weeks ago.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by warburton lad »

I think the message from the draft for us is somewhat ambiguous;

Emerson Jeka and Chad Wingard both had medicals and interviews with the 'Pies but neither was drafted.

I am now wondering, how many 'Rookie' spots and Primary List spots the Magpies have??

I am assuming that if we have a few spots, we may add some talent in the Supplementary period before next season begins, or keep one spot open for the mid-season draft of 2024...

As I see it, we have lost 5 primary list players, one Rookie and one Cat B Rookie. Is it right that we have space for one Cat B Rookie and at least one Rookie??

Having said that, I am delighted that we acquired Di Mattea and Jath- both will add to the fabric of our club as will Lachie Schultz...

Out: Bianco, Ruscoe, Murley, Tom Wilson, Kelly, Arlo Draper, Jack Ginnivan
In: Schultz, Di Mattia and Jath (Johnson and Markov upgraded rookies)
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

We also lost Adams WL.
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

What’s the general feeling of our three addition,s

A proven goal kicker in Shultz And two pacy young men in De Mattia and Jiath

For me I am very optimistic that we are adding for a successful future
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

The recruiting looks promising.

Next we need to land the giant Alex Conden as an international rookie, and look to 2024 to draft or trade in a tall strong bodied full back.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by shawthing »

Rick wrote:
Culprit wrote:I suggest every team sent a message about the quality of the draft this year. The amount of teams passing was laughable. In my view, the draft needs an overhaul as academy players and father-and-son selections are out of control. I'd go further and say they shouldn't even be in the draft as every one of the players gets to where they intended to go.
Completely agree. It took far too long considering how few selections were made as well
Yep. Two things came to mind immediately after this draft.

1. Almost all the kids drafted went to private schools (that's because state schools have absolutely dropped the ball when it comes to sport).

2. Where were the indigenous kids?

It seems to me the pathway into the AFL is getting narrower by the year and so much harder for some really skilled kids.

Clubs also know now they can use the trade period to get what they want with free agency etc.
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

RudeBoy wrote:We also lost Adams WL.
Interesting how they gave Demattia the #13.
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

BazBoy wrote:What’s the general feeling of our three addition,s
We absolutely still need to recruit a tall forward who kicks goals reliably.