Thinking ahead to 2023 draft...

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 316 times

Post by Jezza »

PieSource posting that we're seriously contemplating Lance Collard.

https://twitter.com/piesource1/status/1 ... 5626609014
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by piffdog »

Jezza wrote:PieSource posting that we're seriously contemplating Lance Collard.

https://twitter.com/piesource1/status/1 ... 5626609014
At the risk of being highly judgemental and prejudicial, surely we could pick someone a bit taller with our first call?? This guy seems like a small pressure forward. We're flush for that position now, and I know that wont stay like that forever, but surely on a 3-5 year view we have a more pressing need for someone over 6 foot...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

Where can we follow the draft. Visually or Audio please
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by warburton lad »

I agree on the need for more height, but we also need cover for Elliott's retirement (a season, maybe two left) and add some midfield depth.

Hill, Schultz, McCreery and Collard would be a nightmare to cover- all pressure forwards with a mix of players who can take a grab and/or kick multiple goals.

Personally- I would take Schoenemaker and Charlie Edwards- I think there will be a 'Hine Smokey' with our third pick....
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Great words Warburton lad. Like the idea of Edwards for life post Pendles and Steele plus Schoenmaker's height, superboot, versatility and prolificness just reeks a Fly special.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I believe, Covid has compromised this draft and there are players who have more scope for improvement than usual.

Seems we can throw a blanket over 10 players,. I guess, a perfect opportunity for a good recruiter to earn his money.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Last edited by Kingsofclutch on Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flagpies
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Zero Hanger Mock Draft

Pick 24 - Collingwood: Koltyn Tholstrup

FULL PROFILE
Position: Forward
Height: 186cm
Weight: 86kg
State: Western Australia
Club: Newtown Condingup

A selection for Tholstrup could come as many as 10 spots earlier in the piece, but in this exercise he finds himself heading to the minor premiers.

The regional WA prospect has guile and X-factor that will excite Craig McRae and the Magpies faithful, with Tholstrup set to learn from some of the best small half-forwards the competition has to offer.

Collingwood's strong forward stocks will give the teenager time to hone his forward craft before looking to succeed premiership star Jamie Elliott in the black and white.

Others to consider: George Stevens, Zane Zakostelsky

https://www.zerohanger.com/2023-afl-moc ... 145744/28/

ps: This from the nameless faceless ones on Musk's Nazi platform of hate:

Hey just wanted to pop an update on Swans Academy player Caiden Cleary! He is fully prepared to be picked by Collingwood at pick 19 and has been asked to be ready to move to Melbourne on Wednesday. The Swans are unsure if they are willing to trade for him because of the point deficit they'll incur.

Caiden Cleary inside bull Tommy Mitchell style

https://youtu.be/YWYy41N-4UY?si=3qtpwKumKbhh4ejy
Flagpies
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

CHAD TO STAY

Chad Wingard is set to be selected in the rookie draft by Hawthorn despite Collingwood’s interest on a one-year deal.

Wingard was at Waverley on Monday watching on as he recovers from achilles surgery, looking comfortable as he hugged teammates despite his meeting with the Pies.

Wingard is eligible for the national draft but instead is set to be taken by the Hawks again after making clear to the Pies he was keen to stay at Hawthorn.

Under draft rules any club can jump in before the Hawks but given he is only likely to be ready in the back end of the season after achilles surgery, a curve ball is unlikely.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 7ea9a12da9

1 year with a club rebuilding vs 2 years with a premiership window? maybe he's too dumb to play in our forwardline.
Flagpies
gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

looking at the 2020 draft, we had 5 picks inside the top 31. Three of those are already gone, and the other 2, McCrae and McInnes can hardly get a game.

for all of that, we won the premiership anyway.

We must have had at least ten names linked to us in different drafts.

In the end, it will make no difference who we get, but it's good for footy to keep it in the news
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

gurugeoff wrote:looking at the 2020 draft, we had 5 picks inside the top 31. Three of those are already gone, and the other 2, McCrae and McInnes can hardly get a game.

for all of that, we won the premiership anyway.

We must have had at least ten names linked to us in different drafts.

In the end, it will make no difference who we get, but it's good for footy to keep it in the news
We've been forced to rely on father/son, rookie list players and other sources as a consequence of mismanagement (think Beams, Gubby Wells Mayne etc), we handed out 8 x 1st rounders for zero players at the club after Treloar and co were moved on post 2020.

So we've had to become adept at finding players elsewhere, our leading goal kicker was from the state leagues and even back in the day our Premiership captain of 2010 was a rookie.

Some question Hine's record but the truth is he's hardly been given any top picks to work with and still managed to put together a list that's almost always contending and snagged a couple of flags, and as he observed in his interview Pendles went ok in the GF, and I remember no one had him in the top 15 players pre draft before Hine took him at 5.
Flagpies
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Derek Hine on gettable:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1059952/coa ... wn-is-back

Twomey: Are you after a ruckman like Goad?
Hine: Not really, hoping a few of the rucks go early and someone slides, we've got around 15 mid to talls we're looking at.

Twomey: How many picks will you take?
Hine: Can't see us having more than 2 picks.

Hine: We have a focus on players that can cover the ground.

Hine: The coaching staff has a real focus to fast track players like Harrison McInnes Macrea Allan Ryan next season.

Twomey: Which of your picks that played in the GF was most satisfying?
Hine: Number 10 went ok.
Flagpies
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Draft tracker is back this year.

https://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-tracker
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Pies recruiting boss reveals the trait that Collingwood draftees must possess

Collingwood heads to the first round of the 2023 Draft on Monday night armed with pick 19, and there’s no doubt they’ll pick a player with strong running capacities.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/11/20/ ... must-have/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Kingsofclutch wrote:1 year with a club rebuilding vs 2 years with a premiership window? maybe he's too dumb to play in our forwardline.
That is so stupid, he might be a sandwich short of a picnic I reckon. Maybe it’s good for Collingwood who play an intelligent tactical game.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️