Thinking ahead to 2023 draft...

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piedys
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by piedys »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:I loved this comment

"Crows should draft Tholstrup just for the lolz. Thilthorpe and Tholstrup in the same forward line!"

Wouldn't commentators love that !!
Little boy Hudson and BT would be fighting each other for the microphone to splash their egos all over that call...

Commetti would out-wit both of them put together...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

piedys wrote:Little boy Hudson and BT would be fighting each other for the microphone to splash their egos all over that call...

Commetti would out-wit both of them put together...
Oh boy, Jack Dyer would have found these names “interesting”!

To Rex Hunt. They would have been the “Tholst and Thilt” brothers
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

[quote="lazzadesilva"]

To Rex Hunt. They would have been the “Tholst and Thilt” brothers
Flagpies
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

The general consensus from all the Phantom's doing the rounds (including Twomey's) has us taking the two best distributors in the draft, Roberts and Moir.
Flagpies
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Moir looks good, Roberts Im not sure.. gives me Bianco vibes.

I know we could do with a tall...

But I came across this guy.. is he Jack Crisp MKII ?

Welcome to Collingwood Angus Hastie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cujPBejH3oU

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/angus-hastie/
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:Moir looks good, Roberts Im not sure.. gives me Bianco vibes.
No he's really quick unlike Bianco, if we miss him Edwards is 191cm and has that breakaway speed from the centre bounce with decent delivery.

Hastie looks tasty too.
Flagpies
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by warburton lad »

would not be devastated with any two of: Ashton Moir, Archer Reid, Charlie Edwards, George Stevens or Will Green.

If pushed- would prefer George Stevens and Charlie Edwards

Could we list Chad Winged with Pick 80????
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

As usual, the top 40 picks all read very well, so on paper, at least, we will get two great additions.
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

New recruits-who have our recruiting earmarked

Post by BazBoy »

I’ve been looking at the ever growing news on this prospect and that

But who have we earmarked as target on draft night What will they hone in on.
Forwards
Defence
Ruck
Mids

Be interesting
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Flagpies
gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

gurugeoff wrote:As usual, the top 40 picks all read very well, so on paper, at least, we will get two great additions.
they all read well, but most will not be long-term prospects in the end
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liam McMahon

The developing key forward spent his first year at the club in 2021 in the VFL, kicking seven goals from seven games The 2020 second-round selection is a long-term prospect, but has a high ceiling, with a terrific vertical leap and outstanding athleticism.

He will be aiming to put his hand up for senior selection in 2022.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

In his final Phantom Twomey links us to 3 players that we've put some work into/shown interest:

Tholstrup, Hardeman and Archie Reid

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1062561/cal ... er-ranking
Flagpies
Rex

Post by Rex »

I’ve always enjoyed Cal Twomey’s phantom draft, though I preferred the previous format where he put the teams in draft order and then suggested who they’d pick rather than his assessment of player quality 1 to 30. also, I wondered how reliable he is from a Pies perspective. Had a little look at the last three and was impressed.
2022: he had Jakob Ryan at pick 19 with Allan likely to have been taken earlier by WC at 13. We got Allan and collected Ryan at 28. I’m going to give him a big tick: we got our man and the ‘bonus’ of Allan
2021: N Daicos at 4. Correct. Obviously we’d get him, but I feared we might have been forced to buy in as early as 2 and mostly likely 3. Twomey was correct.
2000: ‘Archie Perkins’ at our pick 16 (became 17). Essendon took him at 9. Connor Stone was to be our pick 19, but he got taken at 15 by GWS. Twomey had Henry at 10 and Reef McInnes at 11 to Adelaide and if not him then had Adelaide taking Finn Macrae. So we took them at 17, 23 and 19.From memory there was pre-draft talk of using our first on Reef, who slid a little. I would have preferred Perkins to Henry, but out of our hands. I’ve still high hopes for Finn and Reef.
2019…that’s a depressing memory. Twomeys guide only goes to 30, so he’s off the hook. Our first pick Jay Rantell pick 40 then Bianco and Ruscoe.

All in all I reckon Twomey has been as on the ball as can be in a changeable market given last minute pick trades upsetting both the order and setting off cascades of unavailable players. I’m happy to get one of his suggestions (17,19 & 21)which are about our pick 19, though history suggests we’re more likely to get a slider with our first pick and hopefully collect one of the three mentioned with our second.
Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

I reckon Archie Reid if he's there is a no brainer - we have little to lose, he has a lot of up side, could be Paul Salmon mach 3 (remembering we're getting Paul Salmon Mach 2 via whatever draft we get the NBA players from). Maybe Mach 4 if Cox keeps going (he's getting there!)

Tholstrup might not be there by [pick 19, and even if he is, as good as he is sposed to be, do we need another third tall (which is basically what he is) - we have Elliot and then McInness in that role (or who can play that role) and even Ash Johnson - he's a tallish forward without being a tall forward. I'd take best available if Reid isn't there at 19 and then a speculative tall at 30 odd and then Wingard at 80 if he's amenable :) Give him a premiership :)

- Ben
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^
Mach = speed
Mark = model
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers