Grand Final #11B - 1966

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Grand Final #11B - 1966

Post by Harrysz »

Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Losing McKenna to Carlton because they offered 25K and we wouldn't offer more than 20K cost us the 77 flag too.
Flagpies
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Kingsofclutch wrote:Losing McKenna to Carlton because they offered 25K and we wouldn't offer more than 20K cost us the 77 flag too.
Really, no. Pete was finished, then. He got dropped and then hurt his kidney (I think?) in the seconds around the middle of 1975 and never played for us again. He played a season in Tassie and then went to Carlton. He didn't play much for them, either (maybe a dozen games?) And he would never have got a spot in the team with Moore playing FF. It was a shame to see him in the wrong jumper, of course.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Re: 11B - 1966

Post by warburton lad »

I was interested to read what Harrysz wrote about missing the 1966 Grand Final due to the Jewish Feast of Yom Kippur.

StKilda had a very fine player called Ian Synman who chose to play in the Grand final and not observe a very important Jewish Feast Day- regrettably for the Magpies, Ian Synman (a devout Jew), played a very fine game.

The main difference for the Magpies was the brilliant tagging job of St Kilda player John Bingley on Des Tuddenham; whilst Tuddy kicked three goals, he was well held.

Poor goal kicking proved extremely costly for the Magpies and our final attack- where Tuddenham had 50 metres clear in front of him but rushed a kick forward, may well have cost us at least the chance to draw.

Sigh...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Kingsofclutch wrote:Losing McKenna to Carlton because they offered 25K and we wouldn't offer more than 20K cost us the 77 flag too.
Really, no. Pete was finished, then. He got dropped and then hurt his kidney (I think?) in the seconds around the middle of 1975 and never played for us again. He played a season in Tassie and then went to Carlton. He didn't play much for them, either (maybe a dozen games?) And he would never have got a spot in the team with Moore playing FF. It was a shame to see him in the wrong jumper, of course.
Moore averaged 3.45 goals for the 1977 season

McKenna averaged 3.27 goals that year for Carlton

and even if he was only depth (and I doubt that with his output) he was the obvious replacement for Carman when he got suspended, we drew a GF replacing Carman with 5 foot nothing Shane Bond when we needed a key forward, we lost a flag being tight arses over 5K.
Flagpies
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Thanks David and Warburton Lad for your compliments. By the way WL, Yom Kippur is a 25 hours strict fast so it's not accurate to refer to it as a "feast". Sorry to be pedantic.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Thanks Harrysz. A great read.
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Hi David.
When I started this I wrote that there had been 16 Grand Finals since 1958.
Half way through I realised that there'd actually been 17 Grand Finals. So rather than re-numbering everything I put in two #11s - A and B.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Kingsofclutch wrote: and even if he was only depth (and I doubt that with his output) he was the obvious replacement for Carman when he got suspended, we drew a GF replacing Carman with 5 foot nothing Shane Bond when we needed a key forward, we lost a flag being tight arses over 5K.
Me being a pedant but wasn’t Carman replaced by Perry? Maybe I’m wrong
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

Rightfully Essendon would be kicking themselves they let this one slip in the Prelim; but I guess there's at least one team who underperforms late in the finals, when expected to win, every season?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

[quote="lazzadesilva"]

Flagpies
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

Kingsofclutch wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Moore averaged 3.45 goals for the 1977 season

McKenna averaged 3.27 goals that year for Carlton

and even if he was only depth (and I doubt that with his output) he was the obvious replacement for Carman when he got suspended, we drew a GF replacing Carman with 5 foot nothing Shane Bond when we needed a key forward, we lost a flag being tight arses over 5K.
I was a huge Peter McKenna fan in the early 70's, but by the time Tom Hafey arrived at Collingwood McKenna was done as a force at VFL level. The Collingwood forward line in the '77 Grand Final was missing Carman as their CHF but still had the brilliant Peter Moore as their Full Forward, supported by Twiggy Dunne and Rene Kink. McKenna would never have made that team at that time of his career and certainly never would have featured in a team coached by Hafey who had the same simple game style of "kick it long to Royce" since 1967. This game style suited the marking power of a young Peter Moore at full forward and of course the brilliance of Carman and power of Kink running around the forward line helped Collingwood finish on top of the ladder in 1977. Such a shame that the team lost that Drawn Grand Final
:(
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Boot wrote:
I was a huge Peter McKenna fan in the early 70's, but by the time Tom Hafey arrived at Collingwood McKenna was done as a force at VFL level. The Collingwood forward line in the '77 Grand Final was missing Carman as their CHF but still had the brilliant Peter Moore as their Full Forward, supported by Twiggy Dunne and Rene Kink. McKenna would never have made that team at that time of his career and certainly never would have featured in a team coached by Hafey who had the same simple game style of "kick it long to Royce" since 1967. This game style suited the marking power of a young Peter Moore at full forward and of course the brilliance of Carman and power of Kink running around the forward line helped Collingwood finish on top of the ladder in 1977. Such a shame that the team lost that Drawn Grand Final
:(
Kink and Moore didn't replace Carman so no idea why you'd reference them? Bond and Perry were the laughable replacements, McKenna still averaging over 3 goals would have been an automatic selection and would have released Moore to go crazy, no offence to Bond and Perry but they were players you'd hope you'd never have to use.

*Only Walker averaged more goals this year than McKenna in his last year when he was supposedly 'done'.
Last edited by Kingsofclutch on Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flagpies
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

[quote="Kingsofclutch"][quote="lazzadesilva"]

I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️