Thinking ahead to 2023 draft...

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

I like the notion of bringing young draft prospect teammates over together to help them settle in (maybe it's the 1990 premiership S.A draftees that I still romanticise over in Russell & Francis).
With that, Glenelg teammates Bodie Ryan and Ashton Moir might be a real coup if we could secure them both with our picks #19 & #33.
With another growth spurt, this might see both of them push past 190cm over the coming 12 months.

Bodie Ryan is the cousin of our 2022 draftee Jakob Ryan, hence that piqued my initial interest.
Height: 187cm ~ Weight: 82kg
D.O.B: 20-04-2005

Having watched cousin Jakob make the AFL grade just last year, Bodie Ryan is a chance of being taken in the 2023 draft. The Glenelg defender was part of the Bays’ SANFL Under 18s premiership as a bottom-ager and went on to produce a strong top-age campaign for club, school (Sacred Heart), and state.

Ryan was named best afield in South Australia’s last two games of the National Championships, proving a reliable member of the Croweaters’ back six. In the first of those outings, he was tasked with locking down Harley Reid after the top prospect booted three goals in the game’s opening 10 minutes.

The 18-year-old also broke through for senior experience late in the year, turning out twice for Glenelg’s Reserves. They weren’t just any two regular old games either, with Ryan coming in for the semi-final and duly playing a part in the Bays’ premiership triumph.

Source :
https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/bodie-ryan/

Ashton Moir
Height: 187cm ~ Weight: 85kg
D.O.B: 15-04-2005

SNAPSHOT: “Once considered a pick one contender, Ashton Moir is a freakishly talented dual-footed forward capable of taking high marks and kicking bags of goals.”

Among the most highly touted bottom-agers last year was Glenelg’s Ashton Moir, who booted 30 goals in 10 SANFL Under 18 games and broke through in state colours with a four-goal haul against Western Australia. Such performances had him pegged as every bit the top pick contender, playing in the mould of Sydney’s Isaac Heeney.

After showcasing a rare range of traits and massive potential, Moir completed a full senior preseason with the Bays and entered 2023 destined for big things. Though, persistent injuries, a lack of form and confidence meant Moir’s top-age campaign didn’t quite go to plan, and a SANFL League berth eluded him.

He still broke through for a handful of games with Glenelg’s reserves, including a haul of four goals on debut in Round 3. The South Australian ended his year back at Under 18s level, having again represented his state and the prestigious AFL Academy. With glimpses of his best, Moir remains a strong draft chance.

Source :
https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/ashton-moir/
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

If he does slide, I think a good selection in the early 20's.

From just a couple vids. Composed and balanced, he seems like a natural playmaker. Hard to quantify,but he seems a step above, he has presence.

Maybe.. and its a long shot... Dayne Swan potential .... flame away lol.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 3c2ddec713

Koltyn Tholstrup​
Collingwood​
Subiaco, 186cm Forward
Some rate the West Australian as a top 15 to 20 prospect, but there’s a chance he could slide just a touch and find his way to the reigning premiers. Collingwood is believed to have done some recent work on Tholstrup, a dynamic forward who can also pinch-hit in the midfield and have an impact with his agility and running power. The boy from Esperance in regional WA had a strong national championships for his state and played 10 games of senior WAFL football with Subiaco, suggesting that he is very much capable of making the step up to AFL football in the not-too-distant future.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by stui magpie »

This list of the top 40 prospects contains quite a few tall boys as well as the usual glut of midfielders.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mee ... 5ee4s.html

It would be great to stockpile some young KPP's.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Rick
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Rick »

I like Arie Shoenmaker with our first pick.

Bio :
https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player ... hoenmaker/
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Is he related to the one Hawthorn had?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Rick wrote:I like Arie Shoenmaker with our first pick.

Bio :
https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player ... hoenmaker/
Me too. Seems the perfect replacement for Howe with additional swingman tendencies.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

I hope we use pick 80 that is likely to come into pick 55 on Draft night. There is always some latent talent that's worth a throw at the stumps vs recycled hack players in March particularly given how deep we have cut from the following:

Delisted from Primary List: 6 players

* Adams
* Ginnivan
* Draper
* Kelly
* Bianco
* Ruscoe

Cat B: 1 player

* T Wilson

Rookie List: 1 player

* Murley

Denoting:

* If we only use Pick 19 and 33 as Primary List additions and choose to reward (most likely) Johnson ahead of Begg and Markov, it still leaves our Primary list short of our normal 36-37 player.

* The March SSP is handy for Pre-season long-term injuries such as Dean and insulates the club from playing short.

* Delisted Free Agent Lycett: don't rule out and buy the "retirement spin". That's a Port power press release. I'd prefer his ex team mate Riley Bonner though.

Interesting times ahead.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

I'd rather keep Bianco, Ruscoe and Kelly than go back to the draft with late picks
Est. 2002
Presti35
Has liked: 393 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Presti35 »

inxs88 wrote:* Delisted Free Agent Lycett: don't rule out and buy the "retirement spin". That's a Port power press release. I'd prefer his ex team mate Riley Bonner though.

Interesting times ahead.
Ben Hudson style
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Raw Hammer wrote:I'd rather keep Bianco, Ruscoe and Kelly than go back to the draft with late picks
Same here. But looks like we're gonna use 19, 33 and upgrade a rookie.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

This SEN article is based on Gettable. I picked the main points.

The prospects Collingwood look at with their first and second-round draft picks
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/11/01/ ... und-draft/

AFL Media draft expert Cal Twomey expects Collingwood to use two picks at the 2023 National Draft.

...With one of those picks, he expects Collingwood to go with a tall option either down back or up forward... “I think they’ll look at a tall (option) at some stage of the draft...If the Magpies don’t use their first-round pick on a tall, Twomey named several non-key position under-18 stars that they could look at...

The draft expert also named several talls that could land around either of their two picks. “There’s some other non-talls around that pick 19 selection,” Twomey said. “(Riley) Hardeman, (Koltyn) Tholstrup from WA, Tew Jiath I think is in that range now from 20 onwards. “Arie Schoenmaker, does he fit around that 20 or onwards part?

“The talls in that part of the draft as well from 20 to 25 and onwards could be Wil Dawson, Logan Morris is a forward, Archer Reid, does he fit around there? “I think all of those guys are going to be in the frame for one or two of those selections.”

In Twomey’s Phantom Form Guide on AFL.com.au, all of Tholstrup (16), Hardeman (18 ), Jiath (23) and Reid (27) are ranked inside his top 30 prospects.

Source of SEN article: Gettable @ 25:10
https://www.afl.com.au/video/1059767/ge ... 8808823001
Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

FFS, what's the fetish with doing fkn video and podcasts? Just type it and publish it. I like to read stuff, not listen to 30 minutes of pap to get the 3 minutes of info I want. :x
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm with you on that stui.
Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

That's cause we're old fellas ;)

- Ben
Presti35