Collingwood Grand Finals ranked

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Geek
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Geek »

David wrote:If you were interested in ranking premiership wins by winning margins (and thus, in theory, from most to least exciting), you’d get:

1903 vs Fitzroy: 2
2023 vs Brisbane: 4
1936 vs South Melbourne: 11
1927 vs Richmond: 12
1953 vs Geelong: 12
1910 vs Carlton: 14
1958 vs Melbourne: 18
1935 vs South Melbourne: 20
1919 vs Richmond: 25
1929 vs Richmond: 29
1930 vs Geelong: 30
1902 vs Essendon: 33
1928 vs Richmond: 33
1917 vs Fitzroy: 35
1990 vs Essendon: 48
2010 vs St Kilda: 56
Hey look! StKilda at the bottom of another table!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

While this list was compiled on the basis of margins, on the basis of euphoria I have to rank the 2023 as the top of the list.
I am still in ecstasy, as if the GF happened only yesterday, and I don't see it subsiding any time soon.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

[quote="lazzadesilva"]Best 1990. The end of a 32 year old drought was unbelievable to see. I have no shame in admitting that I cried non stop like a baby during the entire last quarter. FWIW, most of the magpie fans around did the same. The celebrations at Vic Park were unforgettable until I couldn’t remember any more
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

Geek wrote:
David wrote:2010 vs St Kilda: 56
Hey look! StKilda at the bottom of another table!
:lol:

To be fair, they also had their biggest grand final win against us. :evil:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

David wrote:To be fair, they also had their biggest grand final win against us. :evil:
Every game against Collingwood is a GF with every team.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by shawthing »

I can't even bring myself to address the worst. 1970 still wakes me up at night in cold sweats. Talk about a game to two halves. That team is still the BEST Collingwood team I have ever seen for skill. Barry Price to McKenna who doesn't have to move for a chest mark. McKenna slotting drop punts from 20 degree angles. Heck the whole team was magnificent - until Tuddy accidently cleaned up his own player and McKenna concussed was finished after he'd kicked 7 (wasn't it?) in the first half. OMG we'd have won that game going away from the 44 point lead at half-time if McKenna was not in la la land.

Okay, I did mention the war - but I almost got away with it. And I've still got the shakes. I cried myself to sleep that night.

The best is easy! 1990. After the 32 year drought we finally did it. And that team was tough and skillful. The fact Millane had the ball at the siren to me shows there really is a just footy god (sometimes). How good was that match? We won the fight against Sheedy Bombers at quarter time after Gavin Brown was smashed and then proceeded to destroy them. Daicos goal of the GF.

Question: Who scored 5 goals in the 1990 GF?

Answer: Essendon! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ The strange thing about 1970 was watching the DVD in recent years and seeing that the ball didn't go into the Carlton half of the ground for the first 20 minutes of the game. In a way, it's startling that Collingwood lost the game but, if one had to point to specific factors, McKenna was the only one who could kick straight (compared to Carlton, who kicked very accurately for goal when it mattered that day) and the team was too dependent upon him. Also, in a way very familiar to those of us who watched Collingwood from that time on, too many players played below expectations on the biggest day of their lives. I'm not going to name names - but there were a lot, that day. McKenna wasn't one of them, of course - imagine kicking 32 goals against a single team in one season, including 6.4 on Grand Final day (the 7th missed by a whisker), and somehow being on the losing side.
BBHS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by BBHS »

The last 2 years have been the most enjoyable football attendance of my 46 years which makes 2023 #1.
Stinga

Post by Stinga »

60 year old supporter here. The pain of 1970 onwards has haunted me all my footy life. 1990 was THE BEST, the tragic traumatic heartbreaking soul destroying drought was broken. Spent Sat night til 3am Sunday morning at Social Club, Sunday and Monday all day there as well. But it seems the club also mirrored the supporters and we were satisfied with breaking the drought and fell back into our self destructive ways.

2023 was absolutely amazing in so many ways, it's only marginally behind 1990 by a millimetre. To experience the Fly 2022/23 ride and the change of culture to true winners and then win the flag in a thriller that the old Collingwood would normally find a way to lose was just brilliant.

2010, well a flag's a flag isn't it! Bloody brilliant, but slightly behind 1990 and 2023. Let's hope we've got a few more to compare and analyse in the coming years. Go Pies.

PS. Refuse to bring my jubilant mood down by mentioning the ones we didn't win. ;-)
Stinga

Post by Stinga »

Pies4shaw wrote:The 2 best things, ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jFoOesFeJ0
Just brilliant, loved Rex's commentary after the second goal, bloody brilliant. What an amazing day that was, and what a genius the great man was and is. thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard this commentary before. Love it.
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Oops

Post by Harrysz »

At the beginning of this project I wrote that Collingwood had contested 16 Grand Finals since 1958. I was wrong. There have been 17. Perhaps I suppressed one of the Grand Finals from memory. There are a few I'd like to suppress but anyway.............

To alleviate this, the next one will be 11A to be followed by 11B. Then the numbering system will continue as normal.

To the small number of Nicksters who are reading this stuff I apologise. 11A will be up shortly.