Grand Final #13- 1977 Replay

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Grand Final #13- 1977 Replay

Post by Harrysz »

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

An embarrassing outcome. I can still remember Peter Knights’ post-second-semi interview, talking about the coming rematch with Collingwood in the Grand Final. North did us a favour by knocking off the competition but somehow, Collingwood’s star-studded lineup fired blanks. As with a number of Collingwood’s more disappointing GF efforts over the years, they lost to a team that really shouldn’t have been playing in that game. Shameful.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Instigated by our great President, Eddie McGuire, who had read Barassi’s book ‘the coach’; in 2010, after the drawn GF, we had a very light week on the track before the replay, which we obviously dominated. Barassi did the same between GF’s in ‘77, unlike Hafey who trained our guys full on. At least we got something out of Barassi, who was without peer as a Collingwood hater.

Phil Carman, of all the blokes to belt, one of the nicest, quietest blokes in footy, Michael Tuck. Any sentence more than a week didn’t seem to matter as he was missing the GF. As it turned out he missed two. I’m old enough to know; We win it if he plays, simple as that. The Pies invent Another way to lose a Grand Final. At least 2023 eases some of that pain. 2024 could erase it forever.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

Tommy Hafey did a terrific job getting the 1977 team to the top of the ladder and into the Grand Final, however he stuffed up the Grand Final and was out coached by Barassi.
For some reason Hafey was reluctant to make positional moves and whilst that may have made it easier for players to master their role in the team, it was a big mistake to play 6'3" Wayne Gordon on the wing on Stan Alves who ran amuck and 5'10" Phil Manassa on the back flank on Arnold Briedis who luckily kicked inaccurately for drawn grand final but was better in the replay.
The players were mentally shattered after the drawn grand final after being 27 points up at 3/4 time and Hafey wasn't able to instill the winning belief in the team for the replay.
Of course the unavailability of Phil Carman didn't help the cause, but such was Collingwoods fate. Luckily this years result was not a close loss in another Grand Final!!
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ So that we appreciate the enormity of that choke in the draw, one has to understand the context. At 3/4 time, Collingwood was 27 points up against a side that had kicked just 4 goals in 3 quarters and hadn't goaled for about 70 minutes of playing time. Collingwood outscored North 8.11 to 0.11 in the second and third quarters.

Yes, it was a shame Carman didn't play - but it was an even greater shame that Hafey pointed the blowtorch at Carman, rather than at the 20 guys who didn't get it done in the first 1977 Grand Final. I think it softened the blow too much and let people off the hook when they should have shouldered resposnibility for an occasion of abject failure.

Really, it shouldn't have been too much for the 20 players there that day to get the job done. This was in the days when only the top team got the week's rest - twice, in our case (while 2nd played 3rd and then while the loser of the second-semi played the winner of the first semi to see who would have a crack at us in the Grand Final). That final 5 system favoured the team that finished top so much that there was constant whingeing. Yet, even with that unfair advantage, they still rolled over to North in the last quarter.
VicParkTragic
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by VicParkTragic »

I went to this game. My memory of it is of a game that we were never really in it. We were behind all day and played catch up. Stan Alves had a great game. North assembled a great team of star players and I resented that.
Pretty crap day!!
Living in Geelong, barracking for the 'pies!
Quincy
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Quincy »

Peter Moore said a few years ago that we were as flat as a tack after Hafey had trained them into the ground on the Thursday prior to the replay saying they were never a chance of winning after that. He also remarked that we would have won the first match had Carman have played.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

It's valid to say we would have one the first one if Carmen had played, it's also valid as P4S says to say we really should have won it without him.

I watched that game on a black and white TV in Toc in between serving customers in mums Milk Bar. People complaining about jumper clashes now days with giant 4k colour TV's and pristine playing surfaces have NFI.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

The 1st time I cried for Collingwood. I was 7 years old and the only thing I can remember from both games is Twiggy Dunne's mark. I remember thinking, how the hell did he end up with it, there must've been at least 6 hands on the ball?
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Sad day for Collingwood but I still think that should have appealed the decision to suspend Carman for 2 weeks. At worst they should have taken the decision to court and had it adjourned for a couple of weeks so that Carman could have played in the GF replay a la Barry Hall but not many clubs thought outside the square in those days and stupidly were scared of upsetting the all mighty VFL. Sad days when we all did what we were told even if it wasn’t what we wanted to do
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Piethagoras' Theorem wrote:The 1st time I cried for Collingwood. I was 7 years old and the only thing I can remember from both games is Twiggy Dunne's mark. I remember thinking, how the hell did he end up with it, there must've been at least 6 hands on the ball?
It was a magnificent mark - my recollection (from watching at the ground) is that Moore helped by cradling Twiggy from behind.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

^ Yep, it appears so (found some footage on youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMIR_NutMoI

and selecting the torpedo from 20 odd out, to equal the scores, in a GF 's dying seconds would seem like utter madness today :shock:

Didn't think much of it at the time - it was all we kicked in the playground :)
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

I think that was what they called a flat punt. Peter Hudson used them all the time instead of drop punts, it's like a mong torpedo.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

[quote

and selecting the torpedo from 20 odd out, to equal the scores, in a GF 's dying seconds would seem like utter madness today :shock:

Didn't think much of it at the time - it was all we kicked in the playground :)[/quote]

As a devotee of Macka, I only kicked the drop punt in the playground, but failed miserably...
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

lazzadesilva wrote:Sad day for Collingwood but I still think that should have appealed the decision to suspend Carman for 2 weeks.

I recall media and the Club at the time saying Carman should be allowed to play in the replay arguing because of the weeks rest after Hawthorn , followed by the draw, he had served his two weeks. Also arguing he was in fact suspended for 2 grand finals which in any terms was a horrendous suspension.