Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^ I DO recall when we met Jack and JDG down at the York Hotel, early this season, big crowd, auction, etc, the MC said, " NOw all of you please put your phones away on silent, and NO videoing both players, please, dont do it , especially these two, especially Jack, right Jack ??" Everybody roared with laughter. ! My son got photd with both of em, framed, signed, for a price now he feels bit weird Ginni has gone, I guess many fans do. sigh.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ My daughter's "Ginni 33" hoodie Christmas present arrived yesterday morning. She will never wear it.
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

bugger
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Podpicken wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote: We just traded the one who’d f up. ;)
Jordan says "Hi".
Stevenson says "Hi".
Will go down the same path. Lazy footballer, talented yes, but lack of contested possession. Goes missing. Good luck Ginni. I imagine this will be a great decision by the reigning premiers.
To be fair, Stevenson's skill set is far greater than Ginnivan's, and he can run like the wind, has heaps more natural advantages than Ginni does..hence the 1st round pick as opposed to the Rookie draft.

As I said previously, all the best to him...just not against us.

Will I boo? No....but if he ducks, I'll let him him know ;-)
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ My daughter's "Ginni 33" hoodie Christmas present arrived yesterday morning. She will never wear it.
I'll take it off your hands P4S, what size is it? The missus will love it
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies4shaw wrote:
David wrote:... even though we may now be inclined to take the glass half empty approach on his time at the Pies, we all knew what Ginnivan was (and is) capable of at his best.
Yes. We've brought in a new player who will play in Ginnivan's place, Scultz is alreadsy being hailed as a champion who will improve our team. He may - and I hope he does - but like all of the other small forwards on the Collingwood list, he has never achieved the goals output Ginnivan achieved as a 19 year-old. If that was 3 years ago and Ginnivan had been useless ever since, that would be one thing - but what we actually had is a kid who has, it seems, gone a bit feral and we've dumped him, rather than tried to refocus his talent. He's not the first player on a football team to have a poor season after a first good one and he won't be the last. I'm not interested in second-guessing the Football Department's decision - but the nasty attacks on a talented kid who didn't want to leave are shameful and embarrassing.
Sums up what I think. And I would add that I am disappointed that we did not try to refocus his talent, and instead chose the easier option of just getting rid of him.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
David wrote:... even though we may now be inclined to take the glass half empty approach on his time at the Pies, we all knew what Ginnivan was (and is) capable of at his best.
Yes. We've brought in a new player who will play in Ginnivan's place, Scultz is alreadsy being hailed as a champion who will improve our team. He may - and I hope he does - but like all of the other small forwards on the Collingwood list, he has never achieved the goals output Ginnivan achieved as a 19 year-old. If that was 3 years ago and Ginnivan had been useless ever since, that would be one thing - but what we actually had is a kid who has, it seems, gone a bit feral and we've dumped him, rather than tried to refocus his talent. He's not the first player on a football team to have a poor season after a first good one and he won't be the last. I'm not interested in second-guessing the Football Department's decision - but the nasty attacks on a talented kid who didn't want to leave are shameful and embarrassing.
Sums up what I think. And I would add that I am disappointed that we did not try to refocus his talent, and instead chose the easier option of just getting rid of him.
I agree with all of the above, except that my gut feeling is there was a lot more going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of. The hastiness, or at least willingness, to jettison a 20 yr Premiership player with such talent, is certainly worrying. Nevertheless, I'm prepared to back Wrighty in for doing what's best for our club. So far, at least, he hasn't put a foot wrong.
Presti35
Has liked: 393 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Presti35 »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ My daughter's "Ginni 33" hoodie Christmas present arrived yesterday morning. She will never wear it.
That sucks.

I'm sure there's many others that have purchased Ginnivan items that will be disappointed. Can you make a return?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I trust the club’s word more than I do player managers. Definitely more to it, but we’ll never know. Onwards to 2024 and another flag!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Can paint the white stripes yellow and drag it through the dirt, and then eBay it!
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Read between the lines, the managers words make perfect sense, pretty much exactly what I indicated several pages ago.

At the end of the day, Ginni is gone. I'm sad but I understand and don't feel the need to blame anyone. The club made decisions, Ginni and his manager made decisions. I was happy to read that after the trade went through, Ginni personally rang Fly to say thank you for his time there.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
uncanny
Been liked: 12 times

Post by uncanny »

Gee Jack.
A bit more gratitude to the pies and what they
have given to you, above and beyond
"there is no bad blood", would have been
nice before you go on to say
joining the hawks is a "dream come true"
since growing up as a kid.
So the last couple of years were
just a stepping stone for you?
You did lose me with your approach
before, during and after the gf.
It pains me to say that as someone
who has supported you since the days
when you dreamed of playing for
Hawks through to enjoying what you were able
to put out there over the last couple
of years that I have to say I am glad you have
moved on. Like I said earlier, despite a sour taste
in the mouth after your remarks today, hope things go
well for you in your new venture, just
not when you play Collingwood.
woodsmen rule
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

20K on Ebay in 20 years, don't get rid of it.
Flagpies
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Or I could sell it now and buy Qantas.