Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

jonmac1954 wrote: I think most are upset Pies4 but equally acknowledge that he is pretty much a dick - remember Heath? Same deal - great player but a royal pain in the rrrs.
Not sure this is a very good analogy. I know lots of Pies' supporters who were outraged by the loss of Heath Shaw. That was a decision which starkly revealed our total inability at the time to positively deal with challenging behaviour. Yes, Heath was a maverick at times, but he loved the Pies, and an elite club would not have thrown him out, but found a way to control the deviations and harness his passion. Look what he did at GWS. I don't know what the behavioural issues were with Ginni...but I can't help but feel there is an element of tragedy and potentially failure in this as well. I hope I am wrong about failure, but definitely feel that the tragedy element is certain.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Just saw on fox, Graham Wright said that Ginnivan requested a trade and took the club by surprise. Didn't seem too impressed by it either
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Piethagoras' Theorem wrote:Just saw on fox, Graham Wright said that Ginnivan requested a trade and took the club by surprise. Didn't seem too impressed by it either
It is in the club's public interest for him to say that because it then says that it was all Ginni's decision, and nothing to do with us.
But I doubt very much this is true.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Magpietothemax wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote: I think most are upset Pies4 but equally acknowledge that he is pretty much a dick - remember Heath? Same deal - great player but a royal pain in the rrrs.
Not sure this is a very good analogy. I know lots of Pies' supporters who were outraged by the loss of Heath Shaw. That was a decision which starkly revealed our total inability at the time to positively deal with challenging behaviour. Yes, Heath was a maverick at times, but he loved the Pies, and an elite club would not have thrown him out, but found a way to control the deviations and harness his passion. Look what he did at GWS. I don't know what the behavioural issues were with Ginni...but I can't help but feel there is an element of tragedy and potentially failure in this as well. I hope I am wrong about failure, but definitely feel that the tragedy element is certain.
You seem to be jumping to the wrong conclusion on my post. Like Ginni I loved what Heath brought to the game but like Ginni he was a loose canon.
Now before you start jumping up and down about his condition let me tell you my son is a lifelong sufferer of Asperger's syndrome so I do understand about divergent personalities FIRST HAND.
The simple fact was - at that time - Heath was simply a live grenade no one at the club knew how to handle.
That didn't stop him being disruptive but it also wasn't his fault.
So PLEASE don't preach to me about divergent personalies.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

jonmac1954 wrote:
That didn't stop him being disruptive but it also wasn't his fault.
So PLEASE don't preach to me about divergent personalies.
I don't preach, I am an atheist.
If you feel that I am preaching, it is actually your own conscience speaking.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piethagoras' Theorem

Magpietothemax wrote:
Piethagoras' Theorem wrote:Just saw on fox, Graham Wright said that Ginnivan requested a trade and took the club by surprise. Didn't seem too impressed by it either
It is in the club's public interest for him to say that because it then says that it was all Ginni's decision, and nothing to do with us.
I don't believe that at all. I trust that Graham is speaking the truth.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Piethagoras' Theorem wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
I don't believe that at all. I trust that Graham is speaking the truth.
OK, hope you are right.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Hmmm I don't even believe in atheism.

As for conscience you can believe what you want sunshine.

But you'd be dead wrong.
Cam
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Ginnivan and Noble

Post by Cam »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Colin G Wood wrote:
shawthing wrote:My only regret is that he has a premiership medal when Johnny Noble doesn't. That's luck for you.
Spot on - My sentiments EXACTLY

He was a September Passenger
And Noble was not good enough to get picked.
McStay is that one that was robbed.
Get back on top.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

jonmac1954 wrote:Hmmm I don't even believe in atheism.

As for conscience you can believe what you want sunshine.

But you'd be dead wrong.
How do you know i would be dead wrong?
You just gave me permission to believe what I want, (thanks for that) so you have no idea whether what I choose to believe is right or wrong.
As for not believing in atheism, it is good that you don't, because the whole standpoint of atheism is to not believe.
Last edited by Magpietothemax on Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piethagoras' Theorem

I don't get the talk about Noble being more deserving of the medal and doing a better job. Love the guys endeavor and enthusiasm but brisbanes small forwards would've have destroyed him
Piethagoras' Theorem

Cam wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Colin G Wood wrote: Spot on - My sentiments EXACTLY

He was a September Passenger
And Noble was not good enough to get picked.
And perhaps Adams
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Piethagoras' Theorem wrote:
Cam wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote: And Noble was not good enough to get picked.
And perhaps Adams
Yes, i think all three were wrongly denied Premiership medallions because of the archaic AFL policy that only those who were in the fnal team are eligible. Hopefully, this will be overturned in the future, because McStay was crucial in the win over GWS, Adams was crucial in getting us to finals, as was Noble.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Kingsofclutch wrote:
think better wrote:For what its worth - I felt that he was in some trouble when he went for the around the corner shot on goal in the Grand Final . It looked like Sidebottom was telling him to kick a drop punt but he brushed that off.

It seemed to me like the sort of player that would rather cover themselves in glory rather than do what was needed.
If we lose that GF and he's gone out the night before and ghosts a leader to waste a goal in an idiotic way he's the scapegoat for it all, he was so lucky.
He won the ball. I think he’s entitled to take the shot the way his way, and players cannot be a robot of others.

I’m not surprised he is gone. He is a goodish footballer with potential, but barely in our best 23, and managing up the bottom quintile is where success lies.
Piethagoras' Theorem

^Funnily enough, I was just watching Anzac Day highlights and he had a set shot, 10 metres closer and nailed it with a straight drop punt
Last edited by Piethagoras' Theorem on Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.