Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

If he plays, just send Beau to skitch 'im...
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by think better »

For what its worth - I felt that he was in some trouble when he went for the around the corner shot on goal in the Grand Final . It looked like Sidebottom was telling him to kick a drop punt but he brushed that off.

It seemed to me like the sort of player that would rather cover themselves in glory rather than do what was needed.
I think therefore I think - I think
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

What'sinaname wrote: Not sure that's the case, otherwise we'd be kicking it the wrong way.
That's our game plan, the slingshot, we were the only club doing it early in the year, rather than holding it in the forwardline we were happier to roll the dice and back our run, every man and his dog is on to it now but I'm sure Macca has some tweaks for next year to foil the copycats.
Flagpies
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

think better wrote:For what its worth - I felt that he was in some trouble when he went for the around the corner shot on goal in the Grand Final . It looked like Sidebottom was telling him to kick a drop punt but he brushed that off.

It seemed to me like the sort of player that would rather cover themselves in glory rather than do what was needed.
If we lose that GF and he's gone out the night before and ghosts a leader to waste a goal in an idiotic way he's the scapegoat for it all, he was so lucky.
Flagpies
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Oh well,at least that’s one less player we’ll have to worry about with their behaviour and their off field incidents.I always thought Ginni was a bit of a loose canon in that regard.
What'sinaname
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ bit of a loose cannon?

He's a magnet for trouble. If he doesn't grow up, he'll drag Hawthorn into the more like he did with us.

The difference is, we went out of way to over-support him. We have the numbers to cheer him in the face of the opposition.

Can't wait to hear the boos in the VFL game next year.
Last edited by What'sinaname on Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Culprit
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Culprit »

The Bad is many a young Collingwood fan is going to be heartbroken. The Good is many a young Collingwood fan will build that ultimate hatred for a player that leaves the nest that lasts forever. For us Oldies, I just hope we have just passed a poison chalice to the Hawks.

In saying that as someone who deals with professional people on employment contracts (Most 6 to 12 months) on a daily basis, I can totally understand that 4 years of guaranteed employment is worth jumping at. It is what it is.
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Great young prospect but the reckless and heedless type, if he doesn't grow up he'll end up playing in the bush leagues.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Interesting from 2016...

(Apologies for including those colours here)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Good bye Ginni, I wish you well.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by stui magpie »

From reading multiple news sources and stiching bits together, it seems that when we got Shultz and all the meidia speculation about Ginni started, Ginni's managers phone started ringing. Ginni and manager went to the club and asked for some clarity about where he stood and the reply wasn't as positive as he would have hoped, basically told that if he wanted to explore his options, he could, so he did.

After meeting with Hawthorn and being offered 3-4 years, they want back to Wright and didn't request a trade, but said along the lines of Ginni is happy to stay but if they can do a deal with Hawthorn he's happy to be traded. And so it was.

20 years old, 1 year of a contract left, competition for spots which means possibly playing VFL at least some time (which means no match payments so less money) as opposed to 3-4 year contract on much better coin and minimal competition for spots. He'd be silly not to take it.

it's easy to say he should have backed himself but you've only got a short time in the game and some certainty of cash flow is a big thing.

Best wishes Jack, sorry to see you go, you were one of my favs. You know IQ is gonna rip you a new one everytime you play us and good luck getting a cuddle off Mitchell when yu stuff up next time. You'll always be a Collingwood Premiership player and ANZAC Day Medalist, very exclusive club.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:Interesting from 2016...

(Apologies for including those colours here)
Thought he was Clarkson for a sec, honest mistake I was looking for the shortest in the group.

May he drag down the club that owes all it's success to a corrupt (is there any other kind) Carlton President that took the AFL top job back in the 50's and gave Carlton the prime recruiting area (of course) and then gave Hawthorn the largest catchment area for drafting because they were such a basket case in their first 50 years. The 80's brought their greatest success however being the first club to exploit anabolic steroids, garbage club.
Flagpies
David
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Good bye Ginni, I wish you well.
All I feel like saying at this point too. Like with any divorce, better to remember the good times than focus on the bad. :)

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1645171782522376

(Weirdly apt choice of music in that clip haha)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by think positive »

think better wrote:For what its worth - I felt that he was in some trouble when he went for the around the corner shot on goal in the Grand Final . It looked like Sidebottom was telling him to kick a drop punt but he brushed that off.

100% selfish
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by piffdog »

Thanks for the contribution to our club. Probably a better highlight reel for a 20 year old than most, but we move on.

I don’t think we have too many who go and play their best on the other side, so we’ll see what he can do from here.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...